Crowdfunding Campaign Aims to "Besiege" Valve with Gabe Newell Impersonators

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not waiting on HL3, I'm actually waiting on Half-life 2: Episode 3. /snark

I was originally going to say something along the lines of "wait, I should pay money so someone can tell valve I want this game? Why don't I just, say, email them for free?" But after a little more thought this sounds like a fun community thing, though a little wasteful to be honest.

At that price what they should really do is turn it into a half-life convention. They could go really meta with it and have fake gabes hosting fake panels about half-life 3, half-life 4, a live action movie, a tv series, and the inevitable cooking mama cross over along with more serious stuff like legit panels, cosplay contests, and maybe a lan tournament. They could also have something fun like a smack a crate with a crowbar game or something.

Hmm....maybe I should do a kickstarter.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Are there any awards given for the most pointless crowd funding campaign yet? Because these guys just won it.
150k to tell Valve about the HL3 meme... I'm pretty sure they have heard at some point in the last decade, so what you are really asking is people to pay for a fun night out with Gabe look-alikes.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
I'm pretty sure Valve are aware that the internet wants Half Life 3 gents. I just don't think Valve knows what to do with it now that it's been that long.
Just remember that Team Fortress 2 began development in 1998 as a gritty and 'believable' game with a distinctly tactical bent. Reading the pages on it in Raising the Bar and seeing the totally serious character models that could have fallen out of Battlefield 2 is mildly hilarious with the power of hindsight.

If Episode 3 (or Half Life 3) comes out before October 2016 it'll still have been made faster than TF2, although I think Valve are out to break Prey's eleven year record.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Oh for -

I have no hype left for HL3. It's vaporware at this point, and a lot of the second game's mechanics are showing their age. These guys are expecting the third game to be just as revolutionary as the second - and that's just a proof of how short-sighted they are.

HL3 could never come out that I'd just shrug and move on.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
What a gigantic waste of 150k. My God, go give that to Charity: Water or something. Don't waste it on telling Valve to speed up ValveTime(TM).

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
I like how self-righteous so many people are getting over this. :p These guys apparently are just looking to have a bit of fun, over a game that many many gamers have been waiting for over a period of yeeeaars. I doubt that they think this will change anything, just as I doubt anything will happen. So since they are not taking this as a serious matter of urgency, I honestly do not see how anyone can say, with a straight face, that this little bit of fun is a waste of time and money.

No one really has the right to say that without being sanctimonious. Not going to financially support them, but I will give them kudos for having a bit of humorous originality, and I wish them luck.

milijanko

Nov 19, 2013
Idiots, give that money to strawing children instead of wasting it on your first world problems.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
A fair if selfish goal, but it doesn't need a fundraising effort; part of me thinks this is just a scam to make and sell those t-shirts. <_<

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
"the most epic concert EVER" eh? this could almost be a FistShark campaign, especially the part where they basically hire GabeN lookalikes and a creepy white truck to stalk Valve's headquarters

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
A year has passed since Dota 2 came out, fairly powerful consoles have been released, and Half-Life 3 still hasn't even been announced. Valve could have just said that they are making it, and that would be fine. They used to bring out a game every year. Now, the only thing they came up with is a documentary on a Dota tournament. This is ridiculous. They practically don't have developers anymore.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
flying_whimsy said:
I'm not waiting on HL3, I'm actually waiting on Half-life 2: Episode 3. /snark

I was originally going to say something along the lines of "wait, I should pay money so someone can tell valve I want this game? Why don't I just, say, email them for free?" But after a little more thought this sounds like a fun community thing, though a little wasteful to be honest.

At that price what they should really do is turn it into a half-life convention. They could go really meta with it and have fake gabes hosting fake panels about half-life 3, half-life 4, a live action movie, a tv series, and the inevitable cooking mama cross over along with more serious stuff like legit panels, cosplay contests, and maybe a lan tournament. They could also have something fun like a smack a crate with a crowbar game or something.

Hmm....maybe I should do a kickstarter.
Me thinks you should. You'd have (some) of my money, certainly.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
When I heard about the revival of the show Twin Peaks and learned about how long its been since the last season ended and how it ended on a cliffhanger, it made me think "This is likely how the announcement for Half-Life 3 is going to feel"

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i think there comes a point when you just have to let something go with HL3 that time was after October 2010
just let it go guys its just getting sad now

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I'm just gonna sit here and quietly wait with mah headcrab hat and mah crowbar. It'll be done, when it's done. I don't think this campaign is going to achieve anything, but if it makes some people feel better, well, who am I to judge?

I do wish ValveTime[sup]TM[/sup] ran a little faster though. Then again, I might be able to grow a proper beard by the time HL3/HL2:E3 is released!

[small]I'm twenty god damn years old and I still can't grow a full beard. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PULL OFF A DECENT FREEMAN COSPLAY WITH MY INFERIOR GENETICS?![/small]
Kaymish said:
i think there comes a point when you just have to let something go with HL3 that time was after October 2010
just let it go guys its just getting sad now
It's gonna happen eventually. It's gotta happen. I think people are probably on the right track when they say it'll come out with Source 2. Wouldn't make sense for them to release it on Source.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
So prepurchase and early accsess is not a thing anymore. Now you can prepurchase and early accsess advertisement for the stuff you want. I don't want to be harsh like other posters on these boys, but if this kicks off it could give the wrong people even more wrong ideas.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
*facepalm* You know what? Go ahead. Fund this. Throw your money away. And when the day arrives that HL3 comes out in the same way Duke Nukem Forever arrived (that is to say a colossal disappointment), I will drink your tears like a fine wine.

Captcha:
live.
love.
internet.

Appropriate.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Employee #9421: Wait... President Gaben! I think we've made a mistake! It looks like people actually DO want HL3 after all!

President Gaben : Well, shit. Guess it's time to scrap ep 3 and move on.