Crowfall - Anyone else interested in this?

JamesGoblin

Oct 30, 2015
Zhukov said:
Would it kill the OP to provide a video or at least elaborate on the subject of their thread?

Or will I have to use this massive repository of information literally at my fingertips to find out myself?

Fine.

Hm. Looks interesting. I'm all for the PvP focus. I could see myself getting into this.

Such a shame that the combat looks like the usual poorly animated, unresponsive MMO clusterfuck. I-beat-the-numbers-out-of-your-numbers-with-my-numbers-while-my-team-gives-me-numbers-with-their-numbers.

Maybe I could get past that though. I'll keep an eye open.

Incidentally, I really do love the art style they've got going on their website. If nothing else they clearly have an artist or two on board who knows their shit.
Important detail, the game is in pre-alpha - in other words chars barely learned how to walk; But I guess you know it well. There is couple videos (3 months old thou) on the first page of this, and here's more recent one.

Among other things, number of players and especially FPS are higher than they were just half a month ago, together with couple important gameplay / controll improvements and another archetype added. Of course, nobody expects you to be impressed by what you see.

Combat based on collision detection, physics, friendly fire, with quite limited healing and couple other elements (say, rulesets varying / adopting in many ways) has potential to end up as more than just numbers vs numbers; Of course, it's all yet to be seen and zerging is, as always, bound to happen.

Couple useful links:

- The Big Reveal (wow, this was bombastic!) - basically, a litle "quote" from EVE: player's identity is tied to the crow-spirit and NOT the body - this should lead to frequent changes of class, race and sex!? In other words, once you die you'll have to fly and find a new corpse, unless you got alive friends and/or spare one nearby. A little tale about death:

This, same as Crowfall's progression system, resembles Eve: spirit/body parallels pilot/ship, and bodies can be crafted (or even stolen/looted in some cases) through necromancy crafting skill - in qualities from white/green to epic or legendary, to use WoW terms.

- Crowfall reddit;

- Early pass of the world building tool which will be used by both devs and players, to create their worlds (just skip that AWFUL acting in the beginning!);

- Then, quick & cheap setting of distant servers, using cloud tech (Austin to Sydney, thou any PvPer from "distant" places will find this VERY interesting);

- Short list of Crowfall potential weak points and/or typical bad things people say about the game by yours truly;

- Want even more bad things? Good place to visit are MMORPG.com's Crowfall forums - just check the lovely titles :) and just by the way Massively also covers it rather frequently;

- How can you make Crowfall for less than $10m, and where is that money coming from? by it's technical director, Gordon Walton; Here he goes in great detail about funding.

- Crafting intro and it's second part, also Raph Koster is part-time team member.

PS In an ideal world, OP will be A)reading this, B) will be willing to edit some of the material into his OP and C) will be technically able to do so - couple months after making the thread.

Soon, we will find out about the state of Murphy laws in this part of universe.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Eh, overall its got a lot of interesting ideas and I hope it does well, but its heavy emphasis on PvP means I'm not going to touch it. Not a huge fan of PvP in games, its usually quite lopsided because penalising you for winning would be silly, and starts to really hinge your ability to play and enjoy the game on how much you play and enjoy that game. Unless you're playing it an hour or two every day, odds are you're not going to get good enough to get a lot done. And I really don't want that forced commitment to a single title. Did a lot of it in the past, but these days I'm more into games that give me a creative way to do something, primarily with or against friends as opposed to internet randoms, than a highly competitive meta-focused game that wants a time investment to build the skills required to keep up with other hardcore players. With a limited focus on PvE content, its unlikely to hold my attention for too long, even if I took all the PvE options available. If, after release, it gets a strong PvE scene of some kind going, preferably one with Co-op, then I might check it out. Until then? Let the PvP people have their fun, I'll enjoy other games for the time being.

franciscourant

Apr 5, 2016
Joccaren said:
Eh, overall its got a lot of interesting ideas and I hope it does well, but its heavy emphasis on PvP means I'm not going to touch it. Not a huge fan of PvP in games, its usually quite lopsided because penalising you for winning would be silly, and starts to really hinge your ability to play and enjoy the game on how much you play and enjoy that game. Unless you're playing it an hour or two every day, odds are you're not going to get good enough to get a lot done. And I really don't want that forced commitment to a single title. Did a lot of it in the past, but these days I'm more into games that give me a creative way to do something, primarily with or against friends as opposed to internet randoms, than a highly competitive meta-focused game that wants a time investment to build the skills required to keep up with other hardcore players. With a limited focus on PvE content, its unlikely to hold my attention for too long, even if I took all the PvE options available. If, after release, it gets a strong PvE scene of some kind going, preferably one with Co-op, then I might check it out. Until then? Let the PvP people have their fun, I'll enjoy other games for the time being.
The developers have said during some interviews that they want to have some campaigns that cater more to the "hardcore" crowd, like the Dregs (PvP focus, GvG, FFA) while other campaigns would be more suited for casual players. The Eternal Kingdom is also a good place for less hardcore players to enjoy socializing, crafting, managing parcels / decorations / buildings / NPCs, etc., setting up market places, taming wild animals, installing monster camps and killing mobs for resources and other activities.

Here are a few links for passages of interviews where the developers discuss how they'll make it easier to play for those who have less free time:
- casual players can be competitive: https://youtu.be/3a3qvL1NTlg?t=23m12s
- thanks to the passive training (time-based progression instead of PvE/PvP action based) casual and hardcore players have a more euqivalent progression compared to traditional MMORPGs: https://youtu.be/xsNYYD9um9A?t=1h15m30s
- variety of rulesets to accommodate players' schedule: http://www.killtenrats.com/2015/02/25/crowfall-interview-on-the-business-model/

The game is not for everyone though, very PvE oriented players may not get their dungeon/PvE raid fix. =P

JamesGoblin

Oct 30, 2015
Joccaren said:
And I really don't want that forced commitment to a single title.

If, after release, it gets a strong PvE scene of some kind going, preferably one with Co-op, then I might check it out.
This is simply not the game for you (think: EVE Online), commitment will matter a lot and there won't be much, if any, PvE added - this also includes plans for the future.

Meantime, first (voxel) destruction tests happened, here is one of couple videos available so far:

franciscourant

Apr 5, 2016
Tomorrow (Monday) Raph Koster, Todd Coleman, Gordon Walton and the folks creating this game will be live streaming some cool stuff: design reveals, partnership announcement, future plans, live demo from artists and devs, beat-the-devs playtest... I've been hoping they'd do a stream like that for +1 year =P Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/crowfallgame

JamesGoblin

Oct 30, 2015
12 hours, mission impossible for me. I hope someone will write the summary?

So far they had Raph Koster + Gordon Walton Q&A, guests from Shroud of the Avatar who brought a bottle of whiskey (it's already half empty...), some tech/artwork/gameplay demos in the meantime and announced Travian devs as their European partners. Now, Travian is FTP which has me slightly worried...I hope I'm just being paranoic!?