Crunch Magic Predicts Your Next Favorite Game

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Well, not "dying" was easy enough. The only games it offered me that I actually own were XCOM, Torchlight 2 and Dawn of War. So I just saved those whenever they came up!

loudmouth

Jul 17, 2009
"You are unpretentious and passive" What a load of ****

And I saved only my RPGs and it tells me to play racing games (which i have non of) and grand theft auto (which i burnt every time it came), and it put in quite a few games i don't actually have.

The fact that it couldn't even get a genre of game I liked, Yeah it's complete rubbish.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
The problem I have with this is that I only have 8 games in Steam, so my options were quite limited.

Jan 23, 2010
"You're amoral and immoderate"

Well I love you too Mr/Ms personality test.

This kinda failed for me since it recommended Heroes V and Rusty Hearts for me. I've never found Heroes to be very fun and the very short clip I now watched of Rusty Hearts made me just laugh at loud. At how terribly uninterested I was to play that game. It also recommended Splinter Cell: Conviction though I never saved any stealth game at all during the entire pseudo-game. Also, Conviction was kinda shit.

However Top Games and Top Games 2012 are basically 90% right for me so I'll give them that. But those lists were compiled from all the collective answers they had recieved right? In that case, the site gets precisely half a point for that.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Interesting. Pretty much completely accurate, except for Skyrim.

http://puu.sh/1XkaC

EDIT: My personality is... http://puu.sh/1XkcF

The Almighty Grigard said:
But those lists were compiled from all the collective answers they had recieved right? In that case, the site gets precisely half a point for that.
Actually, no. Far Cry 3, FTL and XCOM never showed up on the site for me and they (quite accurately) showed up in my top for 2012 list.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Went through it and it got more an more inaccurate with the suggested games the more specific it wanted to be.

Topgames 2012
* Borderlands 2 - well, I liked the first game and was interested in Borderlands 2, but never bought it due the price
* FTL - Got it. Love it.
* Torchlight 2 - Not interested, actually. Don't like that kind of game
* XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Got it. Love it.
* FarCry 3 - Looked very interesting, but never had a chance to play so far. Again, mostly because of money.

Topgames general
* Team Fortress 2 - Got it (paid version). Barely play it and if I do, it's coop.
* Skyrim - Well, yes. When it gets guns (and gets called Fallout). Otherwise, no thanks.
* Portal 2 - Got it. Finished it. Was alright.
* Civ 5 - Well, I kinda liked 4. Would give 5 a shot if I could
* Borderlands 2 - again.

Personal games:
* Sid Meyers Pirates - Don't like Pirates
* Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - BOOOOORING.
* Waves - Not interested. Genre itself is fun, but that game specifically didn't spark my interested. At all.
* Titan Quest - just as Torchlight, no thanks to this kind of Gameplay
* Retro City Rampage - Alright, FINALLY something I am interested in.

Personality: You're reserved and a little self-conscious. Sounds about alright to me.
Also, I had blanks quite regularly...

Edit: After reading the posts of a few others, it seems that "Topgames" is just the five more recommended games - first of only 2012-releases and then from all games on Steam.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It said that I'm laid back and reserved, which I can sort of agree with. It recommended me real time strategy games. I rarely play RTS games. I find them a bit exhausting.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Stoic and pretentious...This needs to be peer reviewed.

Still, I don't like some of these games...

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Its mostly wrong, honestly. Most of my top 5 of 2012 are my top 5 of all time, yet it didn't see that. Also, it called me amoral and stoic, which I kind of agree with but I wouldn't use those words.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
So, I tried it.

The top 10 games of 2012 seem largely the same as everyone else, torchlight 2, xcom, farcry 3, FTL, and the walking dead, which may be different.

Top games - TF2, Skyrim, Portal 2, Civ 5 and Portal. Interesting how similar that list is to others as well...

As for my recommended games...

Burnout paradise - I hate driving games
The Stronghold collection - I'm not sure, don't know much about it.
Cthulu saves the world - something I have actually been meaning to play
Peggle nights - Casual games really aren't my thing.
Antitchamber - Checked out the steam page and this one actually does look interesting

It also says I'm untried and passive, which I guess is true, but it's not exactly precise.

All in all I'm not too impressed, needs work but it could be interesting if it improves.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Many of the games it selected and lowered into the fire are games that I've never gotten around to playing yet (which is bound to happen when you have 300+ games in your library).
And when I finished, all of the games it recommended are games I already own or already plan to get. So, this was completely worthless to me.

TemperHoof

Jan 14, 2013
I tried this, the personality profile was shallow and told me what I already knew. Also I only saw I bunch of games I never played, hated, or never wanted to try. I only have 3 games on steam, and a vast collection of other games elsewhere. This really needs a most 'historical approach' by allowing players to enter games they've liked in the past. But of course, that will take years to complete.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It needs a "start over" button. I shouldn't have done it while half asleep...Fucked up twice. Need coffee.....

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
They gave me Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Civ V, and Bastion in one round, then Half Life 2, Monkey Island, and KOTOR in the next. What do you expect game? You want me to let any of those games burn? No.

Also, not a big fan of what they personalized for me. A bunch of mediocre games or genres that I'm certain I'm not interested in. The 1st two columns are excellent though, Far Cry 3, XCom, and the Walking Dead are 1,2,3 on my to buy list.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
That was a waste of time. The top games it gave me, only one I like (TES:5), the other 4 I disliked/hated (portal 1 & 2, TF2, Civilization 5).

Here were the resiults
Top Games 2012
FTL (Don't like Rouge-likes)
Torchlight 2 (tried it and disliked it very much)
X-Com (don't like this sub genre of turn-based games)
Far Cry 3 (Already own and love)
Walking Dead (first episode bored me to tears)

Top Games
TF2 (Don't like)
Skyrim (like this game and already own on 360)
Civilization 5 (don;t like this game at all)
Portal 2 (same as portal 1)
Portal 1 (didn't like this game at all)

Just for me
Dirt 3 (don't like racing games)
Arcana (Never liked any of the Gothic games)
Comedy Club (WTF is this shit)
Ys Origin (Don't like Nihon Falcom games)
DCS A10 Warthog (Don't like flight sims)
You have very narrow tastes. I don't know if I would want to recommend a game for you.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
I got shit recommendations and was diagnosed as 'amoral and laidback'.
I see why this thing is still in beta.