Cryptic Puts Lifetime Subscriptions For Its MMOs On Sale

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
danpascooch said:
This would be nice for WoW, though I wouldn't get it now. Maybe 2 years ago, but not now.

I honestly don't think WoW is going to be very relevant in 5 years or so.
With one expansion each second year for the next 6 years i think they can still manage to be relevant in 5 years..

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I wish they'd make it so buying a lifetime subscription to one gives you access to both. It's not only sweeten the price tag, but make me feel a lot better about shelling out for that Star Trek Online lifetime subscription it turns out I had no interest in ;P

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
HAHAHA, lifetime subscriptions for games that won't be around a year or two from now?

It's the gaming equivalent of a used car salesman scamming some poor naive bastard into buying a lemon.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
If i was to get back into an mmo i would go for guild wards or wait for the old republic.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
mikozero said:
gibboss28 said:
Now there's two games that aren't worth resubbing to.
Nurb said:
HAHAHA, lifetime subscriptions for games that won't be around a year or two from now?

It's the gaming equivalent of a used car salesman scamming some poor naive bastard into buying a lemon.
actually STO won a great many of the MMO 2010 players choice awards over at Massively as it has come on leaps and bounds via the "season" patches since the inital launch (sector space for example has been completely remade)

its may not be the greatest game in the world but its far from the mess it was at launch.
Fair enough, though still I don't think its a game I'm going to resub

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
"Champions' F2P version is permanently restricted in several ways, such as limiting players to playing archetype templates instead of being able to build their own character. Whether one is preferable to the other is up to you, of course."
Thanks my only reason for giving it a try has just disappeared ^-^

and wtf $299? i only paid $199 for my LTS for STO. Guess its nice to have founders pricing (bought it b4 beta ended) \o/

Feb 13, 2008
Played both, got bored by the end of the demo. Deleted the demo before its time.

DCUO, CoH/V, LotRo could keep any MMO gamer going for a lifetime anyway - and Conan/LotRo is free.

Now, if they make CoH/V free...

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
DCUO, CoH/V, LotRo could keep any MMO gamer going for a lifetime anyway - and Conan/LotRo is free.
Gonna have to disagree with you there. CO is far and away better than CoX and DCUO.

Also going to have to say that STO is by far one of the funnest MMO's I've played in my long history of gaming. LotRO is good, but like any mmo, gets tiring after a while.

Feb 13, 2008
SnakeCL said:
Gonna have to disagree with you there. CO is far and away better than CoX and DCUO.
*blinks* You mean the glitches, insane plots, limited areas, insane repeat plots etc.?

I ... I really don't know what to say anymore than that. CoX or DCUO kicks Champions into touch from the starter mission alone.
Also going to have to say that STO is by far one of the funnest MMO's I've played in my long history of gaming. LotRO is good, but like any mmo, gets tiring after a while.
I think we'll have to agree that you have a HUGELY different view of MMOs than I do...or a lot of other people.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
SnakeCL said:
*blinks* You mean the glitches, insane plots, limited areas, insane repeat plots etc.?
Whats funny is that all games have glitches, limited areas, and insane repeat plots ;-) I'd like to refer you to a game called "WoW" that has glitches and bugs in it that date back some 2 expansions.

I ... I really don't know what to say anymore than that. CoX or DCUO kicks Champions into touch from the starter mission alone.
DCUO just feels like Champions in a less interesting, less MMO oriented universe. Heck, the power systems and character creation aren't anywhere near as good, as goes for the characterization.

I think we'll have to agree that you have a HUGELY different view of MMOs than I do...or a lot of other people.
To put it into perspective, STO has done this within a year.

Updated Ship models
Added new ships
Added weekly episodic content missions
Added 2 new sectors
Revamped Sector Space
Added partial ship interiors
Added user-generated content (and not the simplistic type that we see in CoX)

Still on the horizon?
The ground-combat revamp.
Player hub revamp (which is already live on Tribble).
Exploration system revamp (which is scheduled for the next big season update)

Essentially, Cryptic has managed to take STO and within a year fix most of what was wrong with it, while creating a unique experience that gets more and more trek-like as they work on it.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
SnakeCL said:
SnakeCL said:
Whats funny is that all games have glitches, limited areas, and insane repeat plots ;-) I'd like to refer you to a game called "WoW" that has glitches and bugs in it that date back some 2 expansions.

DCUO just feels like Champions in a less interesting, less MMO oriented universe. Heck, the power systems and character creation aren't anywhere near as good, as goes for the characterization.

Updated Ship models
Added new ships
Added 2 new sectors
Revamped Sector Space

Still on the horizon?

Essentially, Cryptic has managed to take STO and within a year fix most of what was wrong with it, while creating a unique experience that gets more and more trek-like as they work on it.
All that trek crap free or do i have to micro transaction half of it? (I honestly don't know) Either way, my issue with Trek was extreamly boring and repeative combat, a major focus ON combat, and an extreamly... EXTREAMLY short game. (I'd maxed my rank is like 2 weeks.... 2 WEEKS..) From what your discribing, that hasn't really changed much, yet, since the ground revamp isn't live yet.

BUT, i will give them credit, they seem to be going in the right direction. Weither or not they get there before TOR comes out and consumes my soul is really the question. (and weither or not TOR is as good as i'm hoping it'll be... I love bioware but MMO is new to them...)

As for the comic book MMO's, CoH is the best one IMO. I've played them all, and currently am playing DCO, and, am not overly impressed yet. It's not BAD... it's just... not that great either. I'm hopeful.

Champions was a fun game. It just suffers from alot of the same stuff STO does, mainly, being wickely short, and lacking in any real replay value. (from my point of view.) I forsee DCO having the same problem honestly. If feels short and the breath of powers and customsion seem lacking, like in Champions. That's why i prefur CoH. CoH is the only superhero MMO where i accually feel like i have all the options i need to make the hero's i WANT to make. No real cutting corners like I have to in Champions or DCO. They just have more powers, more customs options, and more diverce rolls in team combat. (IMO of course)

But, honestly, even so, after almost 7 years it gets old and i've moved on. *shrug* At this momment, i'm hoping DCO gets better with a few updates, and baring that, this may be the first time in almost 15 years i won't be actively playing an MMO until TOR comes out. Nothing else at the moment is really catching my eye.

Feb 13, 2008
SnakeCL said:
I'd like to refer you to a game called "WoW" that has glitches and bugs in it that date back some 2 expansions.
Have you heard my opinion of WoW? (Quick guess, not positive :) )
But it works. Even as a "just alpha" it's got a greater rigidity, better plot arcs and more comprehensive world.

Champions has - in it's starting area - A reality hole that you come in from, a set of eggs used as target practice, soldiers practicing shooting heroes, the Mayor standing in full sight of an Alien Invasion, A holographic display of someone asking you to do this before they let you fight any big aliens, Insta-melee aliens that ignore ranged attacks, lots of "+12"s that make no sense on the stats sheet, a guy who fires himself at an alien ship...

Seriously, even Gorilla Grodd's invasion of monkeys has more sense.

City of Heroes has a whole world that you can go back and forth through. As does DCUO. Champions doesn't. You're forced into certain areas. There's no chance to interact with people of different stages.

Updated Ship models
Added new ships
Added 2 new sectors
Revamped Sector Space

Still on the horizon?

Most of what's wrong with it? I think boring is the biggest problem. There's Cryptic's signature work of statistics everywhere with no explanation of them, and the starting area is STILL Phaser 10 rats and bring me their tails.

I'm not a Trekkie by any means, but it's just dull. I've spent an afternoon cruising Metropolis for street signs, collecting Moths in Norrath, Baking Misty Thicket Picnics, Delivering Pies in the Shire, and teaching my Ninjas dance-moves in different games.

Star Trek / Champions lasted 7 hours before I just switched off from boredom.