Cryptic: Star Trek Online's PVP Sucks

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
porpoise hork said:
I toyed with the idea of playing this, but I just couldn't bring myself to going through all the trouble and hassle to download it. I mean such an arduous task of clicking the mouse and spending a good 20 minutes time investment nursing the download by verifying each and every packet was correctly transported to my location... Sorry just couldn't justify the time.
You know you can download it through Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/], right?, or are you referring to the patching process, wich by itself isn't too big in the first place.
Oh I know, I was just being a smart ass.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
viranimus said:
And make the space combat zone MUCH larger and allow instances to be both persistent and drop in/out.

Center the gameplay around strategic territories and holding those territories while expanding influence

Again allow all the major factions to become playable. When a player drops in they are auto chat grouped with other players of their faction. That way you could see the rise and fall of various factions in power based upon player ability and strength as more players of a faction enter into a sector.

Sure its salvagable, but not with cryptic or NCsoft for that matter behind it.

Honestly there is so much awesome that could be done with this game and the property. It could have been big. But honestly it might be better off to do what lucasarts did by doing a mediocre MMO first and then shift to a different company to allow them to do a much bigger "better" one and start the franchise over anew with a completely different developer.
The concept you described reminds me a lot of the multiplayer part of Starfleet COmmand 2. It sounded awesome back then, too, but whenever I tried it, I was the only one online. SLightly pointless... It could work for STO though.

I think one of the major problems the game had (and probably the reason they went FTP) was the fact that it was published after Star Trek had already stopped being relevant. The last truly awesome series was DS9, Voyager was still OK, although sometimes extremely weird, and once that Prequel stuff was started, it got ridiculous. I watched, and never managed to care for any of the crew members. After several episodes, I still could not even remember their names properly. No wonder the nickname "Star Trek: Killing A Franchise" appeared after a while...

What I want to say is, that I actually really like STO, but I guess too many people were thrown off the idea of playing it because of the awful currently running series.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well lets just say i had a friend who was fanatic about Star trek online. that was the only ame hep layed for a month. Then one day he told me hes going to try out PVP. next day i found him back at fallout new vegas. he havent touched Star Trek since.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Remove the PVP from that title and the article would still be pretty accurate.

... Seriously, Star Trek Online really just looked like a sci-fi reimagining of WoW. Doesn't look really interesting in the slightest, so I wasn't surprised that it failed when it first came out, nor am I surprised it's still barely floundering to stay alive, with some flaws cutting into the overall experience.

But to the people that do play it, I hope this fix to PVP makes their experience... better, I guess.

Eternal Visitor

Sep 14, 2010
I do have to agree that the PVP, both in maps and stratagy, leaves a lot to be desired. to many of the maps are narrow halls connecting rooms, and an entrenched engineer can be a horrible pain to deal with. (full disclosure, I play as an engineer) ground combat in general suffers, it's ok as far as star trek shooters go, but most of those are very old.

more to do with the ship combat would be awesome, but that may be just me, love the ship combat missions.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Hardly anything to tip your hat to. "The product I worked on is shit." What a hero.
Unfortunately it is something to tip your hat to, especially in this day and age.
The majority of developers will make excuses and keep talking up a product even if it is utter trash and regardless of if it's any good.

Though, it's hard to say whether that is down to developer/publisher policy. I imagine you can get in to big trouble for being truthful. So another hat-tip goes out for him being ballsy.

Also he's not at all saying the product he worked on is shit. He's acknowledging that a part of the product he worked on isn't much cop.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I'm afraid a single person or even a single development team won't be able to save Cryptic from the mediocrity they so love.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Oh. Having never played it, or even realized it existed, I now found out three critical things about Star Trek online:
1) It exists and I've never heard about it.
2) There are only two factions (Federation/Klingon) when in the source material there are many.
3) It has ground-based PvP? In a starship universe that makes literally no goddamn sense whatsoever, so even trying makes me scratch my head. Who cares if it's broken - nobody should be doing it at all!

So.......yeah, I'm not interested.

Graill

Apr 5, 2012
Remember folks, do not give ideas away for free, complain yes, but do not give developers a free ride by posting some really great ideas on a forum that will not get you paid. Glad to see the devs at cryptic folding about PVP after being told from the start it was crap.

I have seen a few really great things get sucked up on developer websites and the folks that put them there gained nothing but another monthly sub payment or charge to their CC from the item store. In this instance the fans have by far the greater ideas/solutions, the big question is whether Cryptic has the money and staff to make them happen.