Crysis 2 Dev Urges Fans Not to Pirate the Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crysis 2 Dev Urges Fans Not to Pirate the Game

Crytek says is it "disappointed" that Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297687787&sr=8-2] found its way online.

With less than two months to go before its official release, a nearly complete build of the sci-fi shooter, Crysis 2, found its way onto the internet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107720-Report-Crysis-2-Leaked], complete with the DRM keys needed to make it work. Obviously, this news hasn't gone down well at developer Crytek, and the studio is asking people not to download the leaked version.

Writing on the official Crysis 2 site [http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/blog/crysis-leak], Crytek said that it and publisher EA were deeply disappointed by the news of the leak. It encouraged fans to support both the game, and the people who made it, by purchasing the completed version when it came out in March. It also said that piracy continued to threaten PC gaming - specifically the packaged goods market - and the PC development community. These comments sparked off the inevitable debate about the effects of piracy, with some people getting the idea into their heads that Crytek was blaming PC gamers for the leak.

The leak is bad news for Crytek, although it's not as bad as it could have been had Crysis 2 been a PC exclusive like its predecessor. It seems unlikely that Crytek's pleas will be that effective in curtailing further downloads of the game, but hopefully, it will make at least a few people reconsider and wait for the official release instead.

Crysis 2 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 22nd.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/crytek-%E2%80%9Cdisappointed%E2%80%9D-by-crysis-2-leak]

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
I was gonna wait for the release date anyways, alot of people wont though.
Shame its been leaked, theres not alot Crytek can do now. =/

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
How is it possible that it gets leaked that early? It has to be someone from Crytek who put it on the internet. I mean did it went gold already? Is it being pressed on CD's? How can someone from the outside get access to the game?

Woem

May 28, 2009
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
Perhaps the price of console games don't drop because the publishers are making less money on the PC games.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
http://torrentfreak.com/crysis-2-leak-fails-to-result-in-massive-download-fest-110213/
I'm with them.

bit_crusherrr

Jan 21, 2011
Not being funny but whos going to play a buggy beta and think "I'll cancel my pre-order now cos there's no point in buying it". I'm still buying the game, and those who wouldn't of bought the game will still not buy the game. And as for Crysis being pirated a lot, that didn't stop the game from selling 3 million copies did it?

3vilM0nk3y

Dec 13, 2010
I feel really sorry for Crytek on this... its a common occurance, but with the first Crysis game being such a good hit ive been eagerly awaying Crysis 2, i for one won't download and will wait for the release, its the best way to secure further games in the future

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
endnuen said:
Pirates have actually done some good for pc gaming, they forced the prices to drop. That is not the case with PS3 games for instance.. Is there any reasonable explanation for the steep prices console games have? No.
Sure, that's good for the consumers, but not so much for the devs themselves. And how is stealing someone's game helping prices go down? Now, if they want to make any money, they'd have to price their games higher.

Like I've said before, I'm going to support these guys and actually buy the game. Not that I wasn't planning on that to begin with...

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
I don't think a lot of people are going to pirate Crysis 2 most people are going to wait for the oficial release to pirate it

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I think the funniest thing about this situation is that, if nobody made a fuss about it being leaked (IE, no "Devs urging people not to pirate" or new sites reporting it.) nowhere near as many people would know about it being leaked.

Rather than saying "Oh no! Look at how bad pirates" things should really take a view closer to home.

If you want to support the developers, don't go fanning the flames.

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
sure, i im not downloading it, i'd prefer to play it in my ps3 anyway. also, i dont think my pc could handle such a game anyway

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I think this might be a new record. Usually it's like a week after release that a games DRM is cracked. Crysis 2 gets the honor of having it's DRM cracked before it's even released.

I don't know what the point of asking people not to pirate it is. The people who are going to pirate it would pirate it even if the game came out right now. Sure there are some people who will pirate the leak, then play the legit version they have pre-ordered or purchased but they are definitely in the minority. I doubt there are very many people who are so on the fence that the devs saying "please don't pirate it" will prevent them from doing so.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Gotta feel sorry for the developers. I'd imagine it would be almost heartbreaking to see all your hard work get ripped out of your hands because of an uncooperative co-worker(I assume it was an inside job).

Not that I'd pirate a game anyway, but I'll extra not pirate this one out of respect. Hopefully their sales won't suffer too severely.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
There will be some who can't wait to get themselves a little crysis fun now rather than in 2 months. That doesn't mean some of them won't buy the game later.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
There was a time when I had no job and lived at home where getting free stuff was too awesome to pass up.
I am 28 yrs old now and work for my money. I show respect where respect is due. I don't like getting ripped off, so I won't rip off a game. I've bought eveything legaly new retail or on steam. I don't even like gamestop.

I know guys who don't have respect and try to brag about how they are playing the latest game early and for free. They have no moral compass. They take joy in scamming the system. I would just feel guilty. Have shame people.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
endnuen said:
Sure, that's good for the consumers, but not so much for the devs themselves. And how is stealing someone's game helping prices go down? Now, if they want to make any money, they'd have to price their games higher.

Like I've said before, I'm going to support these guys and actually buy the game. Not that I wasn't planning on that to begin with...
Supply and demand actually. If high is supply and low in demand, prices drop in order to sell more. If high demand and low supply, they can set prices at will, due to demand.
When a game gets pirated the demand declines, as the consumer doesn't need to pay. I would buy a lot more games if the price weren't so ridiculously high.
And no, I don't pirate, I play games on my PS3.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I scored a free copy of Crisis2 with my new PC. I'll get it shipped to me when it's released. Having worked for a bit in the gaming industry for a few years, I wouldn't have downloaded it anyway.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
You gotta feel for the developers, it's sad when any dev team has to issue a statement urging people not to pirate their game.
The pirates will continue to pirate, but hopefully enough people will get the game through honest means.