Crysis 2 Dev Urges Fans Not to Pirate the Game

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Cingal said:
I think the funniest thing about this situation is that, if nobody made a fuss about it being leaked (IE, no "Devs urging people not to pirate" or new sites reporting it.) nowhere near as many people would know about it being leaked.

Rather than saying "Oh no! Look at how bad pirates" things should really take a view closer to home.

If you want to support the developers, don't go fanning the flames.
Yea. It almost makes me think it was part of the marketing cycle.....almost.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I think Crytek should run with it and simply release a demo (anyone remember those?) using the leaked beta code. That way, they can run damage control AND make the fans happy.

That's my two cents anyway...

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
KEM10 said:
I said nothing about enforcement, and neither did you until now. You were trying to say that copyright infringement is not theft when it clearly is (those of you new to this argument look at previous quote before you spam my inbox). Just because I can do something and get away with it doesn't make it any more right.
Its as much theft as stealing physical garbage, you can only steal a limited physical object like a car or a chair, practically/functionally speaking you can steal a serial or key to a game or program but even then abused keys get blacklisted rather quickly.

Alot of things are illegal but so stupid it can not be reasonably enforced, like listening to the radio and driving.

Current IP law means you have no control or ownership of stuff you buy, you may not back it up you may not transcode it you may only rebuy it, sorry but they have crossed the line and IP is becoming the new civil rights movement not just for consumers but the IP creators who are pillaged by IP owner conglomerates.
Just to chime in, Crytek had a reasonable response without losing their head. The fans respond that piracy will kill sales (when they don't) and those that looked at the game on Youtube, saw it was pretty good, decided they wanted to buy the official version.

I know at least three or four people that want to play the game first before they buy it. This is probably the best demo ever. I'm willing to bet that their numbers will shoot up really large regardless of the pirated copy.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Gindil said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
KEM10 said:
I said nothing about enforcement, and neither did you until now. You were trying to say that copyright infringement is not theft when it clearly is (those of you new to this argument look at previous quote before you spam my inbox). Just because I can do something and get away with it doesn't make it any more right.
Its as much theft as stealing physical garbage, you can only steal a limited physical object like a car or a chair, practically/functionally speaking you can steal a serial or key to a game or program but even then abused keys get blacklisted rather quickly.

Alot of things are illegal but so stupid it can not be reasonably enforced, like listening to the radio and driving.

Current IP law means you have no control or ownership of stuff you buy, you may not back it up you may not transcode it you may only rebuy it, sorry but they have crossed the line and IP is becoming the new civil rights movement not just for consumers but the IP creators who are pillaged by IP owner conglomerates.
Just to chime in, Crytek had a reasonable response without losing their head. The fans respond that piracy will kill sales (when they don't) and those that looked at the game on Youtube, saw it was pretty good, decided they wanted to buy the official version.

I know at least three or four people that want to play the game first before they buy it. This is probably the best demo ever. I'm willing to bet that their numbers will shoot up really large regardless of the pirated copy.
Pretty much as piracy is a bucket of water in the friggin ocean. It would take much more than free distribution or even bootlegs to any real damage to semi well known media and those who are not well known have the problem of of not being well known enough to sell their product well.

Of coarse this dose not mean pirating is acceptable as most of it is done for profit or is attempting to make money off the process of distributing files. I believe that we were given enough rights and freedoms to balance copyright evenly between the public and IP owners, its simple if it dose not try to make money off the distribution of files or has support that gains money for the distribution of files then its legal. If it makes money or tries to make money in any way its illegal without a license.(basically the scope of paying for the process of sharing files has to come from the person sharing the files for it to be legal). I really should make a flow chart.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Tonight on Money Wars: Overpaid For-Profit Corporation vs the Nefarious Software Pirates

A tired example of a topic that has no viable solution!

Recoil in horror as each side produces fallacies to support their argument while totally missing the point! Wither in fear of the power of suggestion! Understand that nothing productive or useful will ever come of this tired topic!

Seriously, I've had to restrain myself from taking choice quotes and chopping them to pieces.
There is so much bad logic on display here (and in some cases, outright lies) that it's pointless to even try to argue against.

Piracy is strictly a force that is ultimately detrimental towards the gaming market, no matter how one tries to justify it, and no matter how corrupt or ethical the regular producers in that market might be.

Resorting to an unethical activity to counter another unethical activity does NOT justify that activity.