Crysis 2 has been leaked, is even now being pirated by thousands of unscrupulous souls.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SoulSalmon said:
Why so much outrage over Crysis2 being pirated? no-one here sheds a tear when someone cracks a copy of Minecraft or downloads "Ghost Trick" for the DS yet theres ~7 pages of moaning here.

The MAIN reason this is being pirated right now is because it HASN'T been released, the ONLY way to play it at this point in time is to pirate it.

People need to face one thing, EVERY GAME EVER RELEASED will be pirated, regardless of console, DRM, AP, timeframe or genre. It WILL be pirated.
Same goes for movies, books, art and just about everything else, if it's digital or can be digitised, there will be piracy.

Edit:
Vault101 said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
legendp said:
If developers are trying to escape pirates by going console only it won't work and it will only annoy all the PC gamers who do buy there games.
And all the cracking groups will migrate to consoles if there are no challenges on the PC any more.
what? theres a bunch of people out there who do this shit just for fun? what a bunch of douchebags
You, I very much dislike you right now.
I myself enjoy breaking around AP measures, and there is actually little else that can give one a feeling of accomplishment as the knowledge that something someone else spent weeks on, you can break in a day or two. There will always be one part of the human psyche that gets a pure dose of thrill from being "better" then people that are held in higher esteem then oneself. Whether it be killing a pro player in an FPS or scoring a goal against a famous sport player, that drive will always be there.
right....so your helping to screw up the industry for everyone else...like I said for "fun" you couldnt use such skills for anything productive?

and I know mabye one person dosnt make a difference but a bunch of people with this same mentality and thats harmful

you havn't exactally changed my veiw on the matter

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Vault101 said:
-SNIP-
SoulSalmon said:
I myself enjoy breaking around AP measures, and there is actually little else that can give one a feeling of accomplishment as the knowledge that something someone else spent weeks on, you can break in a day or two. There will always be one part of the human psyche that gets a pure dose of thrill from being "better" then people that are held in higher esteem then oneself. Whether it be killing a pro player in an FPS or scoring a goal against a famous sport player, that drive will always be there.
right....so your helping to screw up the industry for everyone else...like I said for "fun" you couldnt use such skills for anything productive?
Oh yeah? and what do you propose would be a "productive" use for "such skills" as cracking AP?
Working in security? Pah, that'd be pointless, you'd only be giving other people something to have fun cracking.

If you could give ONE good example by my standards, much applause would be in order.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
This happens way more than youd think, even COD games often come up on pirating sites a week or so before there out, I seem to remember Civ 4 (or maybe 5) was up about three weeks before actual release.

And anyway why the giant fuss? Theres betas and demos out so everyone who going to buy it has already made their minds up really.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
-Seraph- said:
This angers me greatly as a PC gamer, and makes me wonder if there will even be a Crysis 3 with this kind of shit happening. I can understand exactly why they went multiplatform if this kind of stuff is going to presist. Although I have to wonder who the hell leaked it, couldn't have been some gamestop employee because I doubt they would ship the game a month and a half before release.
If I remember correctly, a Gamestop employee had sold 10 or so copies to friends a week or two before Modern Warefare 2 was due to be released and his arse got busted down for it.

Knowing Australia, we'll get over-priced on the game like usual, I dare not imagine how much the "Balls of Steel" edition of DNF will cost for us...

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
All I can say is we'll get a delay for the PC verson as they work out new DRM. Though if the source and the editing tools are in there some one will patch the old game to be 100% working. But likely not in MP. But all I can say is 60 hours of MP grinding = BS I dislike the playtime=power options in games ATM.

Start every one off even let play time = power by actually gaining skill not grinding for god damn unlocks. It puts me off modern titles as I know I'll have to grind for some fun. If I wanted to grind I'd pay ~£10 a month to play soem MMOs or shit.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
omicron1 said:
Vrach said:
omicron1 said:
So, this happened. [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/11/an-actual-crisis-crysis-2-leaked/]

More than a month ahead of release. Singleplayer, multiplayer, online authentication key. Good grief. Makes me feel sorry for the gents at Crytek right now... but even more so for the person who did it, once they catch him.
Don't really get what would be the point of downloading that. It's just a developer build, not a full game and thus doesn't have everything the final game will. Any pirate with a shred of sense will just wait for the game to be finished before pirating it - just like everyone else :p

This is pretty much like downloading the beta of a game. With a game a mere month or so away, why not wait for the full thing?
Word on Facepunch, RPS is that it contains singleplayer and multiplayer both, just with limited (medium settings) graphics options. So, you can play through the whole game. You bet that's going to cause some damage.
Checked PirateBay's seed of it, the comments say it's missing textures and I just skimmed over 1 page of comments. And I don't see why/how this would hurt the game any more than pirating it on day one (and you better believe there's gonna be a torrent out there for it) would :\

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
im just gunna buy it because im not a poor scumbag that rips people off, you gotta help support the developers so they can bring out better content etc

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Watch Crysis 3 becomes console exclusive and the people who downloaded this leak complain about it.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Buccura said:
Watch Crysis 3 becomes console exclusive and the people who downloaded this leak complain about it.
Watch the ability to port console games to PC with relative ease unfold as consoles continue the trend of pretending to be PCs...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Vault101 said:
what? theres a bunch of people out there who do this shit just for fun? what a bunch of douchebags
Cracking groups are in it for the challenge and in competition with other cracking groups to see who can crack the protection first and/or best.

I know people who crack software for the challenge but they don't distribute their cracks because they're not interested in taking credit or competing with cracking groups, they do it because they can and for them it's more fun than gaming.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
It was gonna happen to at least one game this year, although the leaked footage does look freaking awesome ill wait for the release date.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SoulSalmon said:
Vault101 said:
-SNIP-
SoulSalmon said:
Oh yeah? and what do you propose would be a "productive" use for "such skills" as cracking AP?
Working in security? Pah, that'd be pointless, you'd only be giving other people something to have fun cracking.

If you could give ONE good example by my standards, much applause would be in order.
Honestly? I dont know

but what about ethics and morals? regardsless of which is worse, (the piracy or DRM) thease actions have consequences, piracy is stealing and it causes the suits/devs to freak out and slap the legitimate buyers (who just want to play a bloody game) in the face

it hurts the developers, and companies and also the Gamers and it possibly could do serious
damage

Ill be honest and say I dont know anythign about this kind of stuff but It irriates me that people do this, like a person running around a sandbox game blowing shit up having fun but not thinking about how it affects other people, and if it did "kill" PC gaming would you care? would anyone care? I don't know

thats my point it affects other people who have to put up with DRM

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
Vault101 said:
Cracking groups are in it for the challenge and in competition with other cracking groups to see who can crack the protection first and/or best.

I know people who crack software for the challenge but they don't distribute their cracks because they're not interested in taking credit or competing with cracking groups, they do it because they can and for them it's more fun than gaming.
I guess if they dont distribute......but still this stuff seems to come from somwhere

Mr Smiles

Aug 3, 2010
DAMN THEM! DAMN THOSE BLOODY PIRATES! why the hell do they do this? the'r not helping, and they can pay for the real thing if they can afford a computer to run crytek games. seriously, why?

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Vault101 said:
SoulSalmon said:
Vault101 said:
-SNIP-
SoulSalmon said:

Honestly? I dont know
And thats the only legitimate answer, *claps*
Just remember one thing for me if you would be so kind, before berating someone over a hobby and telling them to "go do something productive", give yourself 10 seconds to check if it's possible.

Besides, we're the people who get the DRM free games >.> if other people are inconvenienced on the wayside then so be it.
Call me selfish, it'd be true, but I feel no obligation to help a majority who are going to turn around and accuse me for something else later anyway.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
tomtom94 said:
You see, how does this help anyone? There's already a demo so you can't use the "try before you buy" excuse.

This is literally just for those looking for a free lunch and all it does is convince the industry that further anti-piracy restrictions are necessary, which leads to Ubisoft DRM. Do we want that again?
It's not an excuse when developers don't put out a demo and lie about system requirements. Which happens quite often in both cases. I'm actually surprised there's a demo for this considering.