Crysis: Remastered

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yup, it’s happening -

Hoping it’ll be optimized for current consoles and PC so I won’t need to upgrade.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
cool but spending too much money atm. i'll probably wait and pick it up in a black friday sale or something.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm surprised they are making a port on Switch. So can the consoles run Crysis?

Played a little bit of the game on a friend's PC in college. Played Crysis 2 once and beat it. Never touched 3.

Ah, Crysis. A better Far Cry sequel than the actual Far Cry sequels. I am mainly referring to FC 4 , 5, & New Dawn.

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I quite enjoyed the original Crysis when I played it a few years back. It still looks really good, even compared to a lot of todays games. Hell, all of the Crysis games look great.

I'll be very interested to see how this version looks and runs, especially on the Switch.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I enjoyed the game generally but everything after the ship felt both rushed and annoying. The ship flying segment was unfun and needlessly difficult and as a Navy Vet the whole section on the Aircraft Carrier made me cringe nonstop. Seriously devs, do some basic fucking research next time. Even a basic wikipedia browse would have fixed like half the mistakes there.

And since someone has to say it, will the remaster be runnable by actual existing PCs on HIGH settings? Because the original wasn't.

Last edited:

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I'm surprised they are making a port on a switch. So can the consoles run Crysis?
Probably not with all the bells and whistles. But we'll see. I imagine that the PC version will be the best looking of the bunch. And not by a small margin, either.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I mean its neat that it exists. I did like the original game, but I'm not sure if I really care to play it again. Maybe if they tweeked the ai a but to make them less easy to abuse with invisibility.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And since someone has to say it, will the remaster be runnable by actual existing PCs on HIGH settings? Because the original wasn't.
Crytek bet on the wrong horse when they believed that CPU's would continue advancing along single core architecture, just with ridiculous clock speeds, like 9Ghz and such. Instead things went down the multi-cored and multi-threaded path. And that's why Crysis can still fail to reliably get 4K-60fps or whatever, even on high end current PC hardware. Cuz of single-threaded performance bottlenecking the whole thing.

I'm surprised they are making a port on a switch. So can the consoles run Crysis?
Video shows they got Crysis 2 or 3 running on an Nvidia Shield, albeit scaled back, but in their defense, it was a quick and dirty demo meant as proof of concept. A Shield is powerwise roughly in the same ballpark as the Switch. Ports like The Witcher 3, Doom and Wolfenstein New Colossus have shown you can get impressive visuals for its specs. Will Switch Crysis be the most graphically intense version? Of course not. But it's feasible and portable Crysis has an appeal all of its own.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
It seems that the expansion Warhead might be remastered as well, good news to hear since that was only on PC.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Eh? I tried to play the first game a few months back and it just didn't click with me. Felt like a painfully dull shooter with some lackluster abilities thrown in.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I haven't got a chance to look at the video yet, but the warhead expansion should be in the same package. I agree.
It should for sure, but the DF video didn’t confirm anything about Warhead and they even went so far as to say they wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t make it in. Crytek isn’t even doing this themselves as they’ve had money troubles lately and likely don’t have a technical team big enough anymore.

Eh? I tried to play the first game a few months back and it just didn't click with me. Felt like a painfully dull shooter with some lackluster abilities thrown in.
Well, that could be true on one hand. On the other...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
As gameplay experiences go, it hasn't really aged well- but back in the day it was remarkable.

It should for sure, but the DF video didn’t confirm anything about Warhead and they even went so far as to say they wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t make it in.
That's kind of a pity. Warhead did a good job of fixing some of Crysis's flaws and fleshed out Psycho from "1-dimensional maniac whom no military would tolerate" to "fairly interesting character".

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Was this an actual a good game?

I've never played it myself, but all anyone ever talked about back when it was new was the visuals and how you needed a monster PC to actually run it.

I don't remember anyone ever saying it was actually fun to play.

It always just kind of struck me as standard fare FPS below the surface level from what I've seen of it.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
It's very underrated. Not without real issues though. But people tend to not take it seriously as a game because of how graphically superior it was to everything else at the time, which in eyes of a lot of people turned it into a glorified CryEngine demo. But it was a pretty great shooter that did a lot of things really well. Things that were quite rare at the time, like large open areas with non-linear approach to mission objectives (exceptions apply). Suit abilities and on-the-fly weapon modification added another layer of unique fun. Then there's the fact that a lot of the environment is destructible, which also provides unique opportunities. All in all, Crysis is a great game. And in my humble opinion it has stood the test of time pretty well.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I've never played it myself, but all anyone ever talked about back when it was new was the visuals and how you needed a monster PC to actually run it.

It always just kind of struck me as standard fare FPS below the surface level from what I've seen of it.
I thought it was fun but it suffers from a massive drop in quality around the endgame. The suit abilities were a nice way to change up the shooty bits and you had some bit open areas to play around in the way you saw fit(though they were all linearly connected). Though it might feel less impressive nowadays.

And if you're like me, some of the military stuff might get on your nerves, due to the not doing the research. I'm not talking esoteric tactics and shit, I'm talking doing a basic wikipedia browse to fact check, which they obviously didn't bother with.

Reactions: Zeraki

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It’s fun but an appreciation of “emergent” gameplay is needed to get the most of it; something Crysis was a bit of a pioneer with even considering its flaws.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here is a retrospective from Whitelight if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ah Yahtzee. He found it was something to be run on some hypothetical super computer.... from outer space. It was a bleeding edge graphics game back in the day. If they remake it, they'll have to focus on more than the visuals as this one already had them.
Now, you really wanna do a crazy remake, do N64 games in Unreal Engine 4. Like this Zelda.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This might just be a case of giving people the chance to play it who didn't get to play it last time.

The game released on PC only at first and it required a fucking monster computer to actually play. Which meant that a lot of people didn't get to play it. It came out on 360 and ps3 4 years later but it kind of flew under a lot of radars.

So maybe they just want to give it a rerelease and see if people still give a shit about the series. perhaps it's an industry test to see if there is market for another game.