Crysis: Remastered

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
The biggest problem with it was it removed the lean function which came in very handy in the original. Being a tactical shooter, leaning is a pretty suitable thing to have (no pun).

Still, no idea why they couldn't keep all powers and just put them into a weapon wheel or shortcut via holding or double tapping certain buttons like the original had.
But all the powers are still there, they're just streamlined in a more intuitive way. Of course you have armor and cloaking bound to their own keys, but strength mode is simply holding the jump button or walking up to an enemy to grab them, and speed mode is simply bound to sprinting. There are few practical reasons I can think of to require the use of a wheel over having those suit functions just activate on their own.

And if the lack of leaning keys is the issue, they could just bind the armor and cloak to other keys and still reserve Q and E for leaning. I realize Crysis 2's autoleaning system isn't to everyone's liking.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
But all the powers are still there, they're just streamlined in a more intuitive way. Of course you have armor and cloaking bound to their own keys, but strength mode is simply holding the jump button or walking up to an enemy to grab them, and speed mode is simply bound to sprinting. There are few practical reasons I can think of to require the use of a wheel over having those suit functions just activate on their own.

And if the lack of leaning keys is the issue, they could just bind the armor and cloak to other keys and still reserve Q and E for leaning. I realize Crysis 2's autoleaning system isn't to everyone's liking.
It streamlined everything to the point where it didn't really feel like sandbox gameplay anymore in the sequels. The suit's uses were very specific and there wasn't much room left for the player to get creative, or plan any course of action. You could give the original Crysis and Warhead to 20 different people and they might play it as many different ways, whereas in Crysis 2/3 the action felt more funneled into a certain playstyle that looked flashy, but allowed little variance from one to the next.

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
It streamlined everything to the point where it didn't really feel like sandbox gameplay anymore in the sequels. The suit's uses were very specific and there wasn't much room left for the player to get creative, or plan any course of action. You could give the original Crysis and Warhead to 20 different people and they might play it as many different ways, whereas in Crysis 2/3 the action felt more funneled into a certain playstyle that looked flashy, but allowed little variance from one to the next.
What makes the suit powers any less specific though? In Crysis 1, you wheel over to speed mode to flank around some enemies before they spot you and hide in a bush, then wheel over to cloak mode and stalk up to the enemy in the backline.

Now if Crysis 1 used Crysis 2's suit system, you press sprint, which activates speed mode, flank around the enemy, hide in a bush, press the cloak button, then stalk up to an enemy in the backline.

What about that was lessened between the two suit methods in that situation other than...I guess artificial strategic planning? I feel like, sure, in Crysis 1 it FELT like you were planning ahead more because you had to switch between modes with intent, but in Crysis 2's method it just came more naturally because the suit functions happened as you were using them, rather than having to plan to use them, which makes sense to me in a highly advanced super suit.

Last edited:

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Crysis 1's suit power system was seriously cumbersome and made it excessively difficult to use some of the cool powers in the middle of a fight.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What makes the suit powers any less specific though? In Crysis 1, you wheel over to speed mode to flank around some enemies before they spot you and hide in a bush, then wheel over to cloak mode and stalk up to the enemy in the backline.

Now if Crysis 1 used Crysis 2's suit system, you press sprint, which activates speed mode, flank around the enemy, hide in a bush, press the cloak button, then stalk up to an enemy in the backline.

What about that was lessened between the two suit methods in that situation other than...I guess artificial strategic planning? I feel like, sure, in Crysis 1 it FELT like you were planning ahead more because you had to switch between modes with intent, but in Crysis 2's method it just came more naturally because the suit functions happened as you were using them, rather than having to plan to use them, which makes sense to me in a highly advanced super suit.

Ahh, I’ll have to reinstall C2 to refresh my memory, but from what I can recall you were very situationally limited to what you could do with the suit. Sure you had max speed to sprint or max strength where you could toss someone, but if someone’s coming up to you in a Jeep for instance in the first game, you could double tap shift to sprint up to it and then double tap space to power jump over it and shoot them from above as you pass over. I think something like that is actually in the intro.

You can grab any object and power throw it at people to knock them out; whether it’s a simple pot or a drill press. Or grab a KPA enemy in strength mode with one arm and still shoot crowds with the other before throwing them into other soldiers, or throw them through a wall to bring down the roof on whoever else might be inside. You could also use max strength to stabilize your recoil. It all just felt like you had more tactical control and freedom vs the suit’s uses being more restricted to a few specific instances in the sequels.

I did like the ledge grab in C2/3 though, and the power kick. I guess the best way I’ve heard it described is each suit type seemed to fit each game’s design.
You can’t beat Crysis/Warhead’s sandbox freedom of approach and creative play styles, but the sequels are also more focused and tightly designed where the powers felt more polished to use, even if they were more limited in scope.

Last edited:

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
Ahh, I’ll have to reinstall C2 to refresh my memory, but from what I can recall you were very situationally limited to what you could do with the suit. If someone’s coming up to you in a Jeep for instance in the first game, you could double tap shift to sprint up to it and then double tap space to power jump over them and shoot them from above as you pass over. I think something like that is actually in the intro.

You can also grab any object and power throw it at people to knock them out; whether it’s a simple pot or a drill press. You can also grab a KPA enemy in power mode with one arm and still shoot crowds with the other before throwing them into other soldiers, or throw them through a wall to bring down the roof on whoever else might be inside. You could also use max strength to stabilize your recoil. It all just felt Like you had more tactical control and freedom vs the suit’s uses being more restricted to a few specific instances.

I did like the ledge grab in C2 though, and the power kick. I guess the best way I’ve heard it is each suit type seemed to fit each game’s design.
I believe the only real ability Crysis 2 was lacking was using Strength mode to rocket punch people. But I'll give you the fact that a lot of the Strength mode related stuff was more contextual rather than feeling more open ended. I distinctly remember being able to hold the melee button to kick vehicles over or into enemies in Crysis 2, but that was about it.

I just don't believe going back to the wheel is a good option. If they somehow manage to combine the best of both worlds from Crysis 1 and 2/3, the games would be much better for it.