Crystal Dynamics Defends $60 Tomb Raider Port

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I saw the first edition(tm) >_> as a stupid face lift and this one is no better. Still won't be buying this game.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Cognimancer said:
"If it was 'only a facelift' AND we were only reselling it on the same platforms we'd already shipped on, I would see your point," Amos replied. "But as we're selling it on a new platform, with a lot of development work put in to custom craft it for the new platforms; with the new additions for the aesthetic, the physics, the particles, the lighting - taking advantage of next-gen features - so I absolutely stand by our decision to offer up Definitive Edition the way we are."

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition includes a handful of bonus content: namely, all the DLC and some digital art and documentaries. The DLC is almost entirely multiplayer-focused, so single-player gamers (or multiplayer gamers who already bought the DLC during the game's heyday) will find little new here.
In other words, the game isn't just a pointless facelift, but a pointless facelift on a new platform. Square is still trying to get their 10 million units out of Tomb Raider, aren't they? Give it up already, because it's not going to happen.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Wait, the original release of Tomb Raider was $30?

Definitive Edition seems similar in concept to reiterations of fighting games, like Super Street Fighter IV or BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend. Minor additions to the base game sold at the same price. The Final Mix editions of Kingdom Hearts did this too.

Games have been doing this for a while. Why are people getting all huffy about it now?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
HanFyren said:
schrodinger said:
[HEADING=2]Dynamic Hair Physics![/HEADING]

see how dynamic it is?

all blow-y in the wind.
That screenshot makes tressFX hair look like the hair from FF8 cutscenes.
Looks nice on screenshots, but it often acts ridiculous during gameplay.

I would probably pay that much if i hadn't played it already, it's a good game and it's not like these new consoles have that many games out.

I wonder if anyone will complain about paying the full price for GTA 5's PC/next gen version, it will be an old game after all..

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Alarien said:
$12.

That's what I got it for on PC and it's pretty much pushing the edge of the next-gen consoles based on what it can do on my PC as is.

As said earlier, they are BS'ing the consumer by porting the PC version.

Good job Crystal Dynamics. Y'all stopped being relevant when Amy Henning left and Tony Jay died (RIP).
I got it for $5.

I mean, I guess if they want to try to do this that is fine, I am certainly not going to hold it against them, but why would anyone buy it? I mean, they should be looking at this from a business perspective. This is not good business. If they could not charge less for it they probably should not have done this.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It's a shame that Square's going to drag this game through the mud just to pick up some extra cash. The original game is free with this year's Xbox 360 holiday bundle and I doubt many are interested in an a 'Definitive' version of this game in the first place. I know they want to salvage whatever they can from this game, even though it sold incredibly well in the first place (but not well enough for what SE spent on it), but I think they're just digging their hole even deeper. Too bad, because while I have my gripes about the game I actually really enjoyed it.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
A rip off. But logical; you can only adjust the price DOWN after launching it, and that will happen soon enough.
And yay for Yahtzee, calling this "new console's just make walking across a room prohibitively expensive to render" thing out for a bazillion years now ;)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
XMark said:
As usual, the question of whether it's worth full price or not will come down to whether people buy it at that price. If not, they'll lower it in a few weeks.
This wo/mans making to much sense, UP AGAINST THE WALL!!!

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Count me in as being suspicious that this is a port of the PC version. Even if they move some settings from low/medium to high/ultra though, will it actually have TressFX hair? More importantly, will it run at 1080p/60? I don't think people are going to notice much of a difference if they raise texture quality and shit only to hide it under 720p/30. Still, I'd like to see a comparison.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
News flash! Company makes decision it knows is questionable, defends it strongly in interview. Up next, is water still wet? Find out in our hard-hitting investigation!

Always gotta wonder what Square's input is in situations like this. This has their fingerprints all over the place...

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Wasn't the pc version like $10 during the steam sale? A version that is likely even still more powerful then whatever they are porting to the new consoles? Crystal Dynamics is going to learn the hard way that insulting the intelligence of consumers is generally not a good idea. This will not sell well.