Crytek: 8GB RAM Will be a Limiting Factor For PS4/Xbox One Development

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
Yeah, i think you misunderstood me. That 6 year old laptop is still working and in use. What i meant is i only had to bring it 4 times total somewhere for my studies because the classes either had desktops there or a computer was not needed.
Its true that at one point i had to solder my monitor wires manually because flipping the lid up and down have broken them (yeah, those 0.1mm wires are really a paint to solder together, but larger pain was finding which ones broke out of the few hundred that were there.). And there also was the time when my MOBO was changed by warranty, but they did this to all laptops of this model since HP has made error manufacturing. But hey its still good for opening a game map on the side or letting it do some video encoding overnight :p
Ah right, the wording made it sound otherwise, my mistake :)

Strazdas said:
The person said that he only has 4 GB therefore didnt want games to utilize 8 GB consoles had. we told him he can just upgrade to 8 GB cheaply. 8 GB is enough for regualar gamer, I myself would like to have 16 GB instead (albeit only run on 8 atm) but i usually do more than regular users.
Also if you have a lot of RAM to spare you can play with DIMM drives.

900 dollar GPU? You were running a Titan? I hope you needed it and it wasnt just becuase of the name. because unless you specifically need this massive VRAM 780TI is otherwise identical.
Thing is it depends on their hardware, their machine may not support more RAM and thus a cheap upgrade turns into a whole new machine. Currently I have 8GB as I have yet to even half fill it, I have been thinking about getting another 8 to use as a DIMM drive.

The GPU is a EVGA 780ti, over here Titans are far more expensive and can cost $1500.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
Thing is it depends on their hardware, their machine may not support more RAM and thus a cheap upgrade turns into a whole new machine. Currently I have 8GB as I have yet to even half fill it, I have been thinking about getting another 8 to use as a DIMM drive.

The GPU is a EVGA 780ti, over here Titans are far more expensive and can cost $1500.
Yes, but we were saying it to his specific example, not suggesting endless RAM increase right now.
Ah, the expensive nations. am part of it, here in eastern Europe everything is 30% extra as well. Im doing fine with 760 thusly.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
Ah, the expensive nations. am part of it, here in eastern Europe everything is 30% extra as well. Im doing fine with 760 thusly.
The 760 is good and the AMD 6950 was still quite a good card when I replaced it, hardware is getting diminishing returns, just like visuals.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Charcharo said:
Dude...
Listen, you are to a certain point right. However the reason we harp on graphics is that it is safe territory. There ARE better graphics, there AREN'T better art Styles (just better executed) and there AREN'T better games. So that is one of VERY few things we can judge.

As for graphics, they CAN enhance gameplay. A firefight in a DX10+ storm in STALKER is incredible, because you can see the outlines of the enemies on the ground after each bolt of lightning, letting you spot them.
The reactive grass in Crysis lets you see the enemies just by observing the sway of the grass. It also allows you to check their speed and stance.

Not to mention they help immersion.
Not to forget power also can help with physics and AI (STALKER's grand 1000 AI case)
I will admit you are the first to site the need for better graphics to add to immersion. Yes, it does seem a good reason for needing high definition and resolutions. Although it doesn't seem to be valid one. Surely we've seen games below that 1080 pull off the very same mechanics. It's not impossible to do so. Yet, that brings up the other reason many clamor for the higher rez; an expected standard. I have read in other such conversations where people claim that 1080 is the minimum. "How can it be called next gen if it struggles to get that much?" or at least something along those lines. And it is then that the comparison to PC comes up. The beating of the dead horse resumes. We all know computers are powerful, instead this is a method of belittling consoles. I love my PC, I love my consoles. They're different machines with different uses. One isn't trying to replace the other. I'm not going to make toast with a blender, but I can still have tasty smoothies. Perhaps that's it? The king sees the princeling as a threat? Nah, as noted PC are higher specs. No need to undermine others. There's no real threat. Maybe I'm just overthinking things. Just seems like there's venom at consoles as much as there's for Microsoft and it's Xbox One. Again the high graphics shouldn't been the focus of game development. Graphic stability, yes. But not definition and resolution. Yeah I'd like to see devotion to better AI that doesn't just walk single file towards the shooter. Or better yet AI companions that are more use than bullet sponges and forwarding the story.

Dec 16, 2009
I rarely go above 4GB, thats while running games plus a browser as I forget to shut the window bfore I game.

My question is; who wants phote-realistic graphics?

Personally, I want amazing dream like worlds of someone with a better imagination than me.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Hey Crytek! RAM is kind of really expensive right now, how about you return to this statement when DDR4 comes out?

Honestly, I don't see any reason to upgrade to 16GB from 8GB RAM unless next-gen games are going to feature a spontaneous photo-editing mini game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
RicoADF said:
The 760 is good and the AMD 6950 was still quite a good card when I replaced it, hardware is getting diminishing returns, just like visuals.
I relaced a 8600GT with that, so the jump was quite large. I disagree about diminishing returns as lnog as your smart. if your always buying most expensive and the best then yes, returns are diminishing, if you are buying the mid-range card from generation thats been going for a while the performance/price ratio is still amazing, and the returns are hardly diminishing when its a matter of 30% more FPS.

Arawn said:
Surely we've seen games below that 1080 pull off the very same mechanics.
No. We havent. there is none. Its because thats not possible. We had games that are low resolution and limited mechanics that have immersion (silent hill for example) but its not the same type of immersion as STALKER immersion for example. To reach stalker immersion you need the resolution and quality. Granted, games that require such immersion is rather rare, but they do exist.

I have read in other such conversations where people claim that 1080 is the minimum.
PCs were doing 1080p for 2 decades. Its been a standart for a while.
That being said, most people fight for 1080p on consoles specifically because before the launch both sony and microsoft sold consoles on thier ability to do 1080p all the time. its supposed to be "The next gen thing". turns out. its not really happening.

We all know computers are powerful, instead this is a method of belittling consoles. I love my PC, I love my consoles.
Except that, you know, in ALL generation launches except this one Console was on par with PC and only went weaker because it wasnt upgradable. this time its weak at launch. there is a difference. We didnt had this type of talks in 2005 because in 2005 consoles were in fact more powerful than PCs. Now a mid-range PC outperforms the new consoles.

eah I'd like to see devotion to better AI that doesn't just walk single file towards the shooter. Or better yet AI companions that are more use than bullet sponges and forwarding the story.
Better AI needs processing power. Processing power consoles do not have. And when it comes to a compromise graphics or AI we already saw that developers go the graphics route. why? because graphics sell units.

Akichi Daikashima said:
Hey Crytek! RAM is kind of really expensive right now, how about you return to this statement when DDR4 comes out?
erm, since when RAM is expensive.

Its DDR4 thats going to be expensive for first couple years after launch.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Hold on hold on... On a PC what games natively run more than 3-4 gigs of ram? As far as I'm aware there aren't very many 64-bit games out there, and the ones that are don't even hit the 4 gig 32-bit limit... I can't even max out my RAM usage while playing games...

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Graphical boundary pushers complaining about not being able to push the boundary more....guess they have to either find intelligent design in the visual department or FUCKING DEAL WITH IT and make games that don't need a fucking radar cos I can't see shit in this lighting catastrophe.