Crytek Boss Says Visuals Are "60% of the Game"

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
I feel like this....

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10233-PC-Gamer-Master-Card

... is relevant here.

I know im not all about graphics on the computer, but you hear -so- much, "Oh, it only goes to 30 fps because of consoles, of it was dumbed down for them", and I have hard time believe so many PC users arent directly looking for graphics. (Blanket statement)

sid

Jan 22, 2013
"Hi, I'm from Electronic Arts. Your company seems to be doing some interesting things trying to push graphics to the next level, Crysis was quite an impressive feat. Say, we are interested in buying your company. We will pay you millions, will not interfere one bit into your future projects, and all that we ask in return is your FRONTAL LOBE."

nobody enforces idiocy, the shit that comes from EA's subsidiaries is so ridiculously bad that there's some straight-up evil scientist conspiracy going on there

DSK-

May 13, 2010
You can't judge a book by it's cover, Cevat. This is also revelant in regards to video games.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
I've played Crysis and the original Far Cry and I can certainly tell you that graphics do not matter. I say that because I feel those games could look worse than they do and I'd still have the opinion of them as I do now.

If there's any element that matters the most in any game is the game play. How it engages the player, how it can not only entertain you but teach you about how it works, how to tackle the challenges the game puts you up against and are those challenges any fun?

Bottom line for me is that it doesn't matter how good your game looks, what matters is what the player is allowed to do in that game and if the task and challenges are any fun.

Take for example Far Cry Instincts for the original Xbox; there was no way it was going to match the high graphical bar set by it's PC counter part at the time. However the developers figured they could introduce new powers and abilities for the player to use which could open up the game play and make it more interesting. Guns weren't your only tool but you'd get all kinds of super human abilities that gave the player more choice in how they handle a situation.

It doesn't matter if I can see every detail on a weapon, what matters is that my character has super human strength and speed which opens up more possibilities giving me options instead of obligations.

In short, I disagree with you Crytek. Gameplay over graphics.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
So the graphics are why I found Persona 4 so immersive. It wasn't the writing. It all makes sense now. And Dark Souls entranced me not with its atmosphere, but with its leet graphics, yo. Sigh....

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I don't think anyone will dispute that great graphics help make a good game even better. However, to claim that graphics is what makes the game, well, that just sounds stupid. One can make a game of nothing but putting a ball in a cup and give it the most amazingly spectacular graphics in the Universe, and it will still be a dull, insipid, uninspired, and just down-right boring game to most people. Gameplay and game-mechanics are the two defining elements of a game as those are the things that determine the entire nature and design of the game. To use a car analogy (dear, god, I can't believe I'm doing this!), gameplay and game-mechanics are like the frame, body, and interior of the car (interior including the steering-wheel, the dash-board, the peddles, the gear-shift, the seats, all the controls and how those controls are laid out, etc.). The graphics are then the paint, the trim, the headlights, the spoilers, the sound-system, and the clear-coat finish. (The game engine and hardware would be like the engine, wheels, tires, and suspension.) Having a great paint job and exterior trim certainly adds a lot to the excitement of owning and driving the car, but it does not define how the car operates. If it did, then chances are good the car would end up poorly designed and poorly performing in the areas where it counts in terms of overall performance, response, and handling.

Also, there is the matter of art direction. Any trained monkey can make a highly detailed, pretty picture by just following exact technique, but only a truly talented artist can make something inspirational and breath-taking, that is, art. Great art direction can make up for not having a super high resolution or massive polygon count. In fact, games with great art direction can often look far superior with low-fidelity graphics than comparable games with much higher-fidelity graphics and little to no art direction. We've seen many such examples where the developers try to "calculate" their way to artistry by trying to raise the texture resolution, image resolution, and polygon count, but even doing these things, their game still just looks bland and uninspired with almost no emotional content, whatsoever, to connect to the gamer. It's not how much detail and fidelity one puts into the imagery that creates the sense of awe and immersion; it's how the different art assets are composited together and how they are balanced with one another to evoke mood and wonder. It's in the choice of style that evokes particular emotions at particular moments. Further, you want to choose these things so they match well with the design and flow of the game, i.e. the gameplay and the game-mechanics. You can't simply calculate your way to this level of craftsmanship in game construction; you have to have some actual artistic understanding and mastery. Again, back to the car analogy, you can make your car have a rainbow of colors and a ton of trim options hanging all over the place, ending up with a gaudy mess, or your can make more artistic choices, which sometimes results in a more minimalist exterior, that focus on exactly the message you want to send about your car's performance and how it gets used (that is, the exterior is made to fit the design and construction of the car, not the other way around).

Seems lately we've been having a rash of developers coming out of the woodwork making these silly, universal claims about what makes a video game. I've noticed that many such developers are associated with triple-A games. There's a disturbing apparent preponderance of such narrow-minded, shallow, overly restrictive, and just plain wrong attitudes and thinking toward the construction of video games. It's no wonder there are so many triple-A games with boring, unimaginative, and inbred design with clunky, broken construction.

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
drkchmst said:
I <3 sprites
Indeed! I may be a bit biased, the majority of my favorite games are on the GBA, PS2, or Gamecube, but Sonic and Tails is still miles ahead of Crysis 3 in my book when it comes to fun. not saying that I didnt like MGS4 a lot more than I did the original MGS, and the improved graphics definitely have something to do with that, but I think the gameplay improvements did a lot more. Graphics just have to be good enough not to hinder the experience, and no matter how good you make them you are still sitting on your couch looking at a tv, and its the willing suspension of disbelief that is always going to take care of that. Graphics are also probably most important in photorealistic games, if its stylized, or uses sprites or cell shading it can still look good and be just as immersive; real deep characters and involving gameplay count for more than shiny HD graphics of cardboard stock characters.

besides, you are the CEO of a company that makes engines, one known for their extreme graphical detail (at the cost of playability no less, and you cant get immersed in a game if it has the frame-rate of a powerpoint presentation because the hardware cant handle it) so of course you are going to say graphics are the central pillar of immersive gameplay, even if that isn't your opinion, because you would be undercutting your own business otherwise.

30AUGHT06

Oct 8, 2012
60%? Tell that to TellTale Games. I admit, graphics are important, Skyrim with HD mod does enhance the experience but in the end it is not a necessity. Just like peripherals, it only enhances the immersion, but you don't need them. By the way, Crysis 2 and 3 are probably not the best examples to convince me that graphics is better than story or gameplay.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
For me personally, it's a mixture of everything.

I mean, a game can look really good and draw me in a little at first and admittedly the art direction is the most important thing to me in terms of a good first impression for any game (see: Dishonored, Mirror's Edge, STALKER, World of Warcraft, Homeworld 2, etc), but then it's up to a combination of visuals, music and gameplay to keep me absolutely hooked. If it plays/sounds like crap, I'm simply not going to want to bother with it anymore. Immersion is important for me when it comes to gaming.

That's why Tiberian Sun is one of my favourite games of all time, and it's why I used to listen to Tiberian Sun music on many lonely nights at work (before they took the stereo away...). TS has it all: the visuals and music definitely help me feel like I'm actually there and the game-play doesn't detract from that whatsoever. As another example, Mass Effect pulls it off as well for me, however Skyrim does not, due to the fact that too much of my time mid-play is spent pausing the game while I pore through several menus using items and spells as well as going through quest objectives. Meanwhile, Mass Effect doesn't break immersion so much as I merely and effortlessly weave my way through through brief pauses in time thanks to holding down the Shift key, this being a seamless way of giving orders to my squad and using my own powers/abilities. In other words, Skyrim's system intrudes too much on my immersion but Mass Effect's system does not. If that makes sense.

And Planetside 2 is also very immersive under certain circumstances.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
shameduser said:
I thought the first Crysis was a very immerse game. And I thought the game play was great most of the time. And I love the story.

Dumping on Crysis seems to be a thing that people do a lot here.
The only Crysis installment I've played was #2, but it didn't hold my attention for more than a few hours. To be fair, I've heard that the sequel is inferior to the first.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Wow. Just wow. In the era of gaming we're living in where indie games are going up against some of the big blockbuster titles, how can you still believe that?

Cyrromatic said:
Style > graphics any day in my book. I never even finished Crysis 2 because I found it incredibly repetetive and boring alongside its visuals. I don't want to play a game the same way I look at some relative's holiday pictures.
You didn't miss anything. I slogged through it just to see the end. It was visually impressive in spots, but the gameplay continued its mediocrity. I enjoyed #1, despite the cheesy storyline. After #2, I'm not sure if I even want to play #3.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
No! Dwarf Fortress.

DWARF FORTRESSSSSSS.

Gameplay and artstyle that is appropriate to the gameplay. Realistic Graphics do not matter they are a false god.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
I believe graphics HELP, but if the gameplay can not hold up, I'm not interested. I'd say that number should be around 40-45%. 60 is wayyy too high and sounds of arrogance to me.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, you and David Cage, Cevat. You guys just keep blaming lack of computer power for why you can't make a truly fantastic game.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Visuals are important, graphics are not.

SOme games are designed such that a realistic environment is a large part of the experience, sure. There's nothing wrong with that and increased visual fidelity is a huge part of that. There are, however, also just as many games where the most fitting visual style for the game experience, including the immeresion factor, is decidedly not defined by high definition graphics. There's also nothing wrong with that.

Take Limbo, for example. It has an extremely unique visual style and also a very highly polished one, but it's far from realistic and high fidelity. No one who's actually played, or even watched, the game would tell you for a second that it's not an immersive experience.

Or take the recently released Evoland. The entire purpose of the game is to show the range and growth of RPGs throughout the years, including in visual style. Having a super realistic visual style would not only hurt the game, it would actually totally waylay the entire experience.

The fact is, videogames are an artistic entertainment medium with a visual component. Access to increased graphical power and fidelity is definitely a good thing for games. However, the way in which that power is used, to a greater or lesser extent, by the developers is the key factor. Just because you have a toolbox filled with every tool ever made doesn't mean you are best served by using all, or any, or them.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
A guy who makes a game known for high end graphics say that graphics are the most important part of a game?
Plough me sideways next thing you know you got people who make RPGs saying choice is important.

nvzboy

Dec 29, 2012
Immersion can be helped with graphics but graphical technollogy should be used in function to the gameplay and story. If a game like battlefield 3 didn't have the graphics it has I would have been less drawn in and connected to my character.
Some games just don't need fancy graphics because high-realism graphics don't blend in with the gameplay and context. Team fortress 2 is a many named example.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Seriously, most fitting thing to say about this is "don't feed the trolls"...
I'm currently not playing Crisis, but Terraria and sometimes i would like to play 1996 "Z" again (look it up yourself if you don't know what i'm talking about), but am to lazy to emulate the necessary settings to play it - shame on me. However, didn't we already had a similar discussion on Emotions, Polygons, and Ellen Page?
Sure, if i have the posibility to play two games, identical despite their grafics, i chose the one who looks better to me... except... i still own Age of Empires 2 and will do shit about buying Age of Empires 2 HD, so... yeah, even that comes down to the circumstances.

I would really like to ask someone, or anybody in the position really, to smack some sence in the developers who semingly think they would be able to influence the industry/ players this way. So if anybody can do that, you have my thanks XD.

oh and thank you, for bringing that one up as well
WaitWHAT said:
Really? Really? Have we really got this thread without mentioning this?

At the end of day, the amount of polygons that you can furiously force into your engine is completely irrelevant to how much you enjoy that game. It's all about what you do with them. There are 8-bit games that I can look at and still love. However, any pile of steaming shit is still going to be ugly, no matter how well your render it.