Crytek CEO Predicts the End of Free Game Demos

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So we pay a 1/4th of the price of a game for 1/20th of a game and then pay full price ontop of that if we actually decide to buy it?

I guess that for everybody actually interested in a crytek product, it'll be a trip to the pirate bay.

As for me, I can't be assed to waste my DL quota on a dumbed down console port of an already stupid game, official or otherwise.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Better for the gamers? Fairer for the gamers? What? How can any situation in which we have to pay MORE money be better or fairer? I swear, if everyone has to start paying for demos, I will become an enthusiastic pirate.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Irridium said:
I remember the Crysis demo. The thing was actually very nice. It was had over an hour of playtime(epic by most demo's standards these days), got you introduced to the characters, story, and world, and left of on a big part. Sure the story and characters were a little "meh", but at least we got to learn a bit about them. Plus it provided a good benchmark for system specs.
The Crysis "demo" was just a section from the opening level with the rest trimmed out. Someone needs to explain how that is 'prohibitively expensive' to make, cause I must be missing something here.

Is it just me, or does any time someone from Crytek run their mouth, it makes them seem like a bunch of fuckheads that don't really know what they're talking about?

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Corum1134 said:
How will I know I want to buy it if I don't get to sample it?
That's the idea, you'll just have to fork over that increasingly large sum of money to find out, and all you'll be able to use to determine a games "goodness" is their marketing and reviews, which are heavily driven by hype and marketing.
Guess I'll just have to break out my eye patch and peg leg if that is the case.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I would respect his opinion if he wasn't already sinking prohibitively massive amounts of money into graphics. No wonder why you can't afford to make a demo, money-wise or time-wise. Yikes.

Why not just release the demo digitally? The consoles you release for have some virtual marketplace, so why not release for that? That'll save the cost of physical media. As far as the content of the actual demo goes, you can always spend some time not making "teh best graphics evar!!" even more ridiculously polished, and just have a small team work on it for a few weeks.

I'm sorry, you can still make game demos, and it's not necessarily dying out--publishers and developers are just making excuses.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
sephiroth1991 said:
Loved the bob dylan joke

But i need demos how else i'm i to predict a game to be a nay or yay
The same way I predict how a movie will be a yay or nay:

Read reviews.

ElegantSwordsman

Jun 17, 2008
If they stop making free demos for pc games, they'd damned well better offer full refunds for games that won't run at a reasonable framerate, even when you meet the specs on the box.

As far as the argument about free demos being cost prohibitive is concerned, I'm far more likely to be believe that this is a marketing euphemism for "We lose money when people try our demos for free and find out the game was actually over-hyped crap so they don't end up buying it"

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
ElegantSwordsman said:
If they stop making free demos for pc games, they'd damned well better offer full refunds for games that won't run at a reasonable framerate, even when you meet the specs on the box.

As far as the argument about free demos being cost prohibitive is concerned, I'm far more likely to be believe that this is a marketing euphemism for "We lose money when people try our demos for free and find out the game was actually over-hyped crap so they don't end up buying it"
This is the bottom line: demos prevent publishers from fooling consumers with marketing. All the positive press and explosive advertising in the world won't convince a guy to buy a game he's already tested and found wanting. For extremely large publishers, like EA and Activision, demos act in direct opposition to their own expensive hype campaigns. These companies are not interested in perfectly educated consumers. They want expectant, ignorant consumers who drop $60 before they realize it's another derivative rehash.

It's an ugly truth, but that's where the economics take you. I am shocked, however, to see people actually talking about it to the press. Surprisingly arrogant, the notion that they could somehow spin this as positive for consumers in any way. For my part, I can't even think of a single person who would recognize the recension of try-before-you-buy as remotely beneficial. And I know some dumb people.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
If I don't get a demo then I don't know whether a game is worth the full cost or not. If I am not certain whether or not a game is going to be worth it I don't buy the game.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
2012 Wont Happen said:
sephiroth1991 said:
Loved the bob dylan joke

Read reviews.
That's stupid. A movie ticket is $10 while a game is $60. At minimum wage, you usually spend only an hour or two's worth of money to see an hour or two movie. You still spent about the same amount of time earning the money as you did consuming your movie ticket's value. With a game, $60 is closer to a full day's work, and it may only hold your attention for 15 minutes before putting it down.

Also, reviews are always skewed, because you aren't going to have the same tastes in movies/games that the reviewer has. People LOVED Napoleon Dynamite, yet I'm still unable to find a movie I hated more after all these years.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
This is rediclous, but this is what I imagine will probably happen.

Company Would you like a free demo?
Gamer Yes
Company Wait now you have to pay for it.
Gamer ok, but what If I don't like the game?
Company Well you don't have to buy the game its a demo.
Gamer I know but I just spent $15 what a waste of money.....
Company We are sorry you feel that way but you decided to purchase it..
Gamer you can't get away with this!
Company We just did.
Gamer this is so unfair!
Company Well you bought DLC and map packs in the past, they used to be free so we didn't think you would mind paying for this as well.
Gamer I' am so going to sign a petition to stopt this.
Company good luck with that but we have your money so we don't really care anymore.

That about sums up what gamers are doing right now, continue paying for DLC and maps and they will screw us for everything, who can blame them to, most people bend over trousers down and make it easy.

Open your eyes people.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I see what they are trying to do, but the price of a "premium demo" is quite close to the £10 limit I will pay for a full game. If they cost to much to make, spend less money on the graphics.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
It's too bad most games these days are nothing but demos for their inevitable sequel. It's too bad we have to pay premium prices to get those demos. As it is, I'm buying less and less games because the quality is getting less and less (despite most games getting "prettier") and support for those games disappear as soon as they are released (mainly to work on the next game in the series).

Now they expect me to pay for an even shorter version of something they are releasing? No thanks! Although, come to think of it, didn't they already do that with Gran Turismo V Prologue...?

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Signa said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
sephiroth1991 said:
Loved the bob dylan joke

Read reviews.
That's stupid. A movie ticket is $10 while a game is $60. At minimum wage, you usually spend only an hour or two's worth of money to see an hour or two movie. You still spent about the same amount of time earning the money as you did consuming your movie ticket's value. With a game, $60 is closer to a full day's work, and it may only hold your attention for 15 minutes before putting it down.

Also, reviews are always skewed, because you aren't going to have the same tastes in movies/games that the reviewer has. People LOVED Napoleon Dynamite, yet I'm still unable to find a movie I hated more after all these years.
Read multiple reviews. Find a reviewer that generally agrees with your tastes. If you're that picky, only buy things that Yahtzee Crowshaw recommends (bit extreme maybe).

As it is, I have never played a game demo in my life. However, excepting a few mistakes, I have never bought a bad game because I read reviews, and if those reviews lead me to believe the game will be very good, it probably is.

If I'm unsure as to how a game will play after reading reviews, I rent it and try it out that way. It's very effective.

BrokenIcon

Oh look, it's me again.
Sep 11, 2008
Novskij said:
So with paid demo's it will work out as:

Bought the game, for $15 liked it, gonna buy the full game for $60. So technically ill be paying $75 for a game now. If i dont like the game, the company will have $15 from my wallet. Alternatively i can pirate the game to try it, which i wouldnt do if i had a motherfucking demo.
Not only that, but you rent a game for like $10 now or so, I think. So, if you can rent the entire game for $10 who the hell is going to pay $10-$15 for only a small part of the game? I just can't make any sense of that.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
A movie trailer is what a demo is to games. A snippet of what's in store. You don't "watch" games, so a trailer won't do.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Why don't they just give us half of a later level, cut it up and shove it in a demo package. I swear that wouldn't be that hard to do.

HaloHappy

Sep 7, 2008
Christ, will someone shut these guys up already?! First they bash Halo, then they bash Killzone, and now this. I'm tempted to go to their HQ and surgically remove their voice boxes.....just as soon as I figure out how.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Ultimately, it will be a better deal for the gamer."
How in the hell does he figure that NOT getting a demo, or having to pay for a demo, is a better deal for the gamer than what we have now? Ok, I get it, making a demo can be expensive. Cry me a river, it's advertising. Advertising is expensive, period. You don't charge someone to see your ad, you pay for someone to see your ad. That's the way it works.

Personally, when I come across a game that has no demo, I assume it must suck so much that the publisher didn't want to risk anyone seeing it before buying it. So that game now has an uphill battle to prove its worth to me.

Honestly, it really seems that game publishers and developers need to get their CEO's to shut up. Every time one of them opens their mouth, stupid comes out.