Crytek CEO Predicts the End of Free Game Demos

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
There is sorta a point to this, as most game demos now of days are like the first level or two of the game anyways. I believe services like OnLive are going to go to a twenty minute start for demos on their system for all games, and Sony's technology that lets you play the game normally starts locking out things as you play the game until it becomes completely unplayable.

Squaseghost

Jan 25, 2010
I just want EA to know the only reason I bought Burnout: Paradise is because of it's awe inspiring free demo.

iFatCat

Nov 4, 2009
Yea, if i ever have to pay for a demo, i shall not, even though i pretty much bought crackdown for the halo 3 beta, and ODST for the reach beta, i shall not ever buy a game demo. Greedy bastards.

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
Heh, for most game sequels it could be said that : This "new game" gameplay wise is totally same as the previous one- just with nicer graphics. Judging on that- paying for demos system is already adopted. Just buy the version 1.0 :p

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Getting rid of (free) demos wouldn't be a very good idea IMO. Hell, a demo is what convinced me to get Batman: Arkham Asylum. Not every game needs it, but sometimes it's just what someone needs to be convinced of a purchase.
Andy Chalk said:
"A free demo is a luxury we have in the game industry that we don't have in other industries such as film. "
What about trailers? Aren't those pretty much the same thing?

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I won't pay for no demo... unless it comes with a magazine or something...

Demos are supposed to be free, I don't see why anyone would pay a load of money to get a portion of a game they probably want to get the full version of.