Crytek: No Other Engine Could Handle Crysis 2

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
theriddlen said:
Yes, it is the best engine so far.
No other engine could handle such extensive graphics without being very slow - though people think that Crysis had very high performance requirements, the lower levels of graphics weren't like that - it runs on medium on years old (back when Crysis came out) middle-segment graphics card.
Other engines, like Source Engine (used in Half Life and Portal) just wouldn't be able to generate views from Crysis - at least without extensive modifications. And doing so with good performance is just out of their reach.
Hell, my pc has 3gigs Ram, Windows XP, DX9 and I run Crysis with everything except shadows and motion blur on high. And it looks damn well fantastic. I hate it when people complain that the game requires a super-computer when it doesn't. Also in over 60 hours of play it has only crashed twice, on the same day, because I was using mods.

I personally can't wait for Crysis 2.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Baby Tea said:
Baresark said:
ciortas1 said:
Baresark said:
Crysis doesn't run seemlessly on PC's now.
Protip: you don't have to try playing on max with a shit tier PC.

I absolutely believe them. Cryengine 3 looks fucking gorgeous, I just hope they're pushing the limits of PC graphics once again with Crysis 2.
protip - it runs crappy on good PC's, it's not very well optimized, that is my point.
But Crysis isn't running on the CryEngine 3.
It's running on CryEngine 2.

And from everything I've seen on Cry3, it's leaps and bounds more improved then Cry2.
Especially the multi-platform support. Which is just epic.

OT: I hope the game turns out sweet looking and running as the promo material when I try out the MP demo tomorrow.
Maybe we can get more people using it, then.
I would love to hear how that demo is from someone first hand. If you can, you should post somewhere and mention how it was.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
theriddlen said:
No other engine could handle such extensive graphics without being very slow - though people think that Crysis had very high performance requirements, the lower levels of graphics weren't like that - it runs on medium on years old (back when Crysis came out) middle-segment graphics card.
Other engines, like Source Engine (used in Half Life and Portal) just wouldn't be able to generate views from Crysis - at least without extensive modifications. And doing so with good performance is just out of their reach.
Take a look at the Dear Esther Mod remake for the Source Engine. All this is in game.

Not quite as good, but definitely capable on the Source Engine.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The engine is the best our there hands down, and ofcourse Far Cry 2 and Crysis are the best looking games, but when you blow your own horn that much it really looks bad.

Sadly Crysis 2 is very clearly copying CoD, which will really just make it another number in the long line of modern FPS-es that people will remember for a week or two.
I wish they would go the same route Unreal engine went and just sell it to every game maker out there, I want to see some proper games being done with it, and if it's really as easy to use it shouldn't be a problem to sell at all.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Mr.K. said:
The engine is the best our there hands down, and ofcourse Far Cry 2 and Crysis are the best looking games, but when you blow your own horn that much it really looks bad.

Sadly Crysis 2 is very clearly copying CoD, which will really just make it another number in the long line of modern FPS-es that people will remember for a week or two.
I wish they would go the same route Unreal engine went and just sell it to every game maker out there, I want to see some proper games being done with it, and if it's really as easy to use it shouldn't be a problem to sell at all.
You do know that COD wasent the first fps game ever?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Roboto said:
theriddlen said:
Baresark said:
ciortas1 said:
Baresark said:
Crysis doesn't run seemlessly on PC's now.
Protip: you don't have to try playing on max with a shit tier PC.

I absolutely believe them. Cryengine 3 looks fucking gorgeous, I just hope they're pushing the limits of PC graphics once again with Crysis 2.
protip - it runs crappy on good PC's, it's not very well optimized, that is my point.

Also, I never said I wasn't looking forward to checking out this game. I just can't stand companies that hype the shit outta their products then we are greeted with a product that cannot live up to those standards.

And, I have to agree, the game looks amazing, but until I play it on a PC or console right in front of me, I am gonna reserve judgement on the game itself. I do look forward to that draw distance on a city scape though.
Stereotype. It was running fluently on my 7600GS card. Now i have GTX260 (quite cheap card right now), it runs on max settings on 1680x1050 (except AA).
Everything without the AA. That's the key.

Warhead played a lot smoother by a long shot, so when they throw the words "optimized" around they aren't just throwing stones. I had a 7600GT that wasn't fond of C1 at medium settings, I said screw it and wait for an upgrade. I use a 5850 @ 1920x1200, max all (DX9 of course, DX10 just was NOT a good idea for that engine at the time), and regularly at 2xAA, because my 4gb of system memory dries up when I run it at 4xAA for a prolonged period, heh...
Just for the sake of doing it, I installed good old Crysis. I put everything all the way up except AA. My max resolution was 1680x1050. The game doesn't seem to support the max resolution of my monitor. I got a good deal on a monitor with an HDMI port on it, so my max resolution is 1920x1080. I used FRAPS, my computer is running an Nvidia geForce 460 Superclocked with 1 Gb of video memory. I am using a high end i5 with 4 gigs of system memory on a 64 bit Windows 7. The game would only give me 38 FPS. Using technology that wasn't available at the time of it's release, I would have expected to at least be able to run at my monitor refresh rate. While this is obviously very very playable, I would still say the version of CryEngine they used on this is not very optimized. That is my opinion. I don't hate the game, or the developer. I am anxious to try Crysis 2. This does not reflect poorly on Crysis 2 at all. I am just trying to make people understand what I mean when I say it's not optimized. Optimized doesn't mean playable or not playable, it means that it most likely could have been stream lined in some capacity to run better, not that it runs horrible by any stretch of the imagination.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Crytek actually makes the money to recoup their gargantuan costs? Astounding graphics don't come cheap. Though, I suppose they can cut some costs by not actually spending more than a day on gameplay. "Get a gun, go shoot things, and they'll shoot you back with futuristic automatic precision" seems to be their entire game philosophy. Not one of them has impressed me much beyond "ooh, this looks pretty". So, yeah, in fairness, sure. Crytek are the only ones who can make Crytek games. Good to know.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Fuck yeah! Graphics are the most important factor in ANY game, BAR NONE!

All games should put their best staff and highest priority on the graphics!!!!!!

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
theriddlen said:
Take a look at the Dear Esther Mod remake for the Source Engine. All this is in game.

Not quite as good, but definitely capable on the Source Engine.
///There used to be a long, detailed post, but my browser crashed...

Fun fact: I've had identical conversation on Black Mesa forum before (Cry vs Source, with Dear Esther).

I know about it, this mod looks awesome, but still - i see ton of things (i wrote a long list, damn browser crashed, too angry to write again) that could have been done a lot better in Cry. Note, that i say that Esther is great looking, it's just not as good as CryEngine could do. (some examples: blocky terrain and rocks [except sand], some textures are lower quality and hidden in the dark, lighting is bit unrealistic-espiecially when compared to Crysis one, and the beam of light is quite basic, while Cry can make totally awesome ones.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Baresark said:
Ha, yeah, such a powerful engine! So powerful it can run seemlessly on consoles!...... wait, what?

Crysis doesn't run seemlessly on PC's now. I don't see how this is better if it can run on the the underpowered consoles.

Meh, regardless, I look forward to the game, and the continuation of a "cool", if not "good", story.
Well, there's this magic thing they invented a long time ago in a land far away, known only today as "sliders".

Better graphics for better hardware? SLIDE UP! Manageable graphics for lesser hardware? SLIDE DOWN!

(And Crysis runs just fine on PCs now, and has done for ages.)

lostzombies.com said:
Fuck yeah! Graphics are the most important factor in ANY game, BAR NONE!

All games should put their best staff and highest priority on the graphics!!!!!!
I love how you're no longer allowed to talk about graphics tech without comments like this.

OT: I can't wait for the CryEngine to be used across the board.

The Unreal Engine is based on older tech that we should be beyond.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I'm tempted to not get Crysis 2 due to the fact that it seems like they are throwing out the story of the first (which was supposed to be a trilogy) and go from the jungle (which was a better environment) to a city, and then forget about their pc fanbase with releasing the demo and beta on 360 and only 360. I guess releasing it there first to test how it will run is fine, but blocking out their fanbase of the first just isn't right imo.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
chris89300 said:
Wow, I think he won the Bullshitter prize this year.
Why? It's the most powerful engine out there.

8bitmaster said:
I'm tempted to not get Crysis 2 due to the fact that it seems like they are throwing out the story of the first (which was supposed to be a trilogy) and go from the jungle (which was a better environment) to a city, and then forget about their pc fanbase with releasing the demo and beta on 360 and only 360. I guess releasing it there first to test how it will run is fine, but blocking out their fanbase of the first just isn't right imo.
Well, they also argue that the retcon was necessary to make the alien sections better (because they weren't as much fun to play against), but yeah, I was a little annoyed by that, ALTHOUGH Crysis didn't exactly have the greatest story. Maybe they felt it was better to just ditch it mostly (apparently they do reference the first game) to make way for the new writers.

As for the beta, I would have liked it, but it's not like the PS3 and 360 are getting it, just one of them, which makes me think that perhaps MS have done a little something there. They are... struggling to make the 360 relevant to a lot of people, it would seem.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
While the CryEngine is highly advanced, I wouldn't be surprised if John Carmack decided to write a new Engine to put it to shame... Ya know, just because he can...

Seriously, that guy is an insane genius.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
chris89300 said:
Wow, I think he won the Bullshitter prize this year.
Why? It's the most powerful engine out there.

8bitmaster said:
Well, they also argue that the retcon was necessary to make the alien sections better (because they weren't as much fun to play against), but yeah, I was a little annoyed by that, ALTHOUGH Crysis didn't exactly have the greatest story. Maybe they felt it was better to just ditch it mostly (apparently they do reference the first game) to make way for the new writers.

As for the beta, I would have liked it, but it's not like the PS3 and 360 are getting it, just one of them, which makes me think that perhaps MS have done a little something there. They are... struggling to make the 360 relevant to a lot of people, it would seem.
that doesn't mean that as a mean that as a fan of the first and warhead, I have to support them in this decision or be happy about this idea, and that if they don't make some flashback or something that makes the game any better on pc, then im skipping crysis 2 until they decide to not fall to the console gamers like everyone else and go back to the island.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
8bitmaster said:
This 100%

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Mornelithe said:
Baresark said:
Just for the sake of doing it, I installed good old Crysis. I put everything all the way up except AA. My max resolution was 1680x1050. The game doesn't seem to support the max resolution of my monitor. I got a good deal on a monitor with an HDMI port on it, so my max resolution is 1920x1080. I used FRAPS, my computer is running an Nvidia geForce 460 Superclocked with 1 Gb of video memory. I am using a high end i5 with 4 gigs of system memory on a 64 bit Windows 7. The game would only give me 38 FPS. Using technology that wasn't available at the time of it's release, I would have expected to at least be able to run at my monitor refresh rate. While this is obviously very very playable, I would still say the version of CryEngine they used on this is not very optimized. That is my opinion. I don't hate the game, or the developer. I am anxious to try Crysis 2. This does not reflect poorly on Crysis 2 at all. I am just trying to make people understand what I mean when I say it's not optimized. Optimized doesn't mean playable or not playable, it means that it most likely could have been stream lined in some capacity to run better, not that it runs horrible by any stretch of the imagination.
You have system issues then. There's no reason you should be running frames that low. I've only got a GTX260 Core 216, 4g of RAM and a Core 2 Quad (Q9400 OC'd to 3ghz) and it runs better than that.
It's interesting you should say that, I would like to know what I am supposed to be getting, and then I can work towards that. I have suspected for some time that I might have a problem with my system, but i can't figure out what it is. Maybe power, I don't know.