Crytek: No Other Engine Could Handle Crysis 2

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
CryTek still loses out to Epic Games in my book.

Not because of Unreal Engine 3.

But because of Unreal Development Kit.

Go crazy people!

[sub]And seriously, the names - CryTek, Crysis... why are they so obsessed with crying?[/sub]

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
CryTek still loses out to Epic Games in my book.

Not because of Unreal Engine 3.

But because of Unreal Development Kit.

Go crazy people!

[sub]And seriously, the names - CryTek, Crysis... why are they so obsessed with crying?[/sub]

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
omicron1 said:
I'd believe it.

Screens of Crysis 2 come dangerously close to being indistinguishable from box art, promotional posters, etc. - where even with Crysis 1 you could see aliasing and various other "gamey"/rough visual elements.
The same happened with the first game... until it actually launched and it turned out we were being fed first class, pre-rendered, promotional bullshit.
I think the game will look either very similar or slightly (and I can't stress enough how big of a role the word 'slightly' has here) better than the first Crysis.

What happened to actual depth when it came to making games? At least Duke Nukem Forever seems to try. Everyone else is just reselling little bits of modified samery.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
I agree , crysis sandbox 2 in crysis/wh , was a very good editor , actually , it was the best FPS map editor i ever seen , it was very very advanced , very easy to learn and use, a lot easier than Unreal and Quake engine with stupid 2D 3-sides perspectives.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Baresark said:
Ha, yeah, such a powerful engine! So powerful it can run seemlessly on consoles!...... wait, what?

Crysis doesn't run seemlessly on PC's now. I don't see how this is better if it can run on the the underpowered consoles.

Meh, regardless, I look forward to the game, and the continuation of a "cool", if not "good", story.
Does run fine my pc anyway at about 75 fps thats crysis warhead on max everything

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
theriddlen said:
Yes, it is the best engine so far.
No other engine could handle such extensive graphics without being very slow - though people think that Crysis had very high performance requirements, the lower levels of graphics weren't like that - it runs on medium on years old (back when Crysis came out) middle-segment graphics card.
Other engines, like Source Engine (used in Half Life and Portal) just wouldn't be able to generate views from Crysis - at least without extensive modifications. And doing so with good performance is just out of their reach.
Source engine, on a laptop at steady 40fps, full HD. [http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/]
Cryengine does high view range and lod but absolutely nothing else and with dumbing it down for consoles they stopped rendering everything past the nearest skyscraper, 95% of which are non-interactive.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I have a strong feeling his is talking out his ass. What does Crysis 2 do that Killzone 3 doesn't? Is the Crysis AI any near as good as the KZ AI (I am betting on this being a solid no)?

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Truly-A-Lie said:
And I'm sure no other network could handle a demo. Don't get me wrong, it looks very pretty, but I've seen nothing of the gameplay to make me feel I need to play it. Without trying it first, I'm not buying it.
This is a valid point (and sup :p)

I would like to see them make say... left 4 dead 2 on this engine. Or dead rising 2 or...

the list of games it will not be able to make on this engine is pretty damn large

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
rosac said:
Truly-A-Lie said:
And I'm sure no other network could handle a demo. Don't get me wrong, it looks very pretty, but I've seen nothing of the gameplay to make me feel I need to play it. Without trying it first, I'm not buying it.
This is a valid point (and sup :p)

I would like to see them make say... left 4 dead 2 on this engine. Or dead rising 2 or...

the list of games it will not be able to make on this engine is pretty damn large
Why would CryEngine 3 not be able to do those games?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I couldn't give a shit if it were still only on PC, or how amazing it looked. Crysis 1 was incredibly generic for the massive fanbase it has. So unless they make the game more than just a shooter in which you can add some more armour/strength/invisibility all of ten seconds if you move...I'll still pass.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Tubez said:
Mr.K. said:
The engine is the best our there hands down, and ofcourse Far Cry 2 and Crysis are the best looking games, but when you blow your own horn that much it really looks bad.

Sadly Crysis 2 is very clearly copying CoD, which will really just make it another number in the long line of modern FPS-es that people will remember for a week or two.
I wish they would go the same route Unreal engine went and just sell it to every game maker out there, I want to see some proper games being done with it, and if it's really as easy to use it shouldn't be a problem to sell at all.
You do know that COD wasent the first fps game ever?
Did never claim it was, but if you look at the Crysis 2 multiplayer they clearly aim for the CoD experience and they copied alot of their features.
Atleast they didn't go for the jelly squirt.