Crytek: There Isn't Enough Interest in TimeSplitters 4

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Oh come on, this whole article is just flame bait.

I personally enjoyed Timesplitters (2 or 3), but it'd need to be more than just a multiplayer shooter if I'm to pick it up.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Podunk said:
But... but TimeSplitters was SO MUCH FUN. Future Perfect still holds a place in my heart as best FPS. When everyone else was all into their Halos, it was nice to play a game with characters, levels, game modes, and many weapons.
And Halo doesn't have that stuff? If you preferred TS to Halo then whatever, but Halo has as much as or even more content than TS.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Maybe Timesplitters fans such as myself would have shown more interest if anyone knew or cared that this guy had a blog.
This. So much this.

Why does this guy think we follow his stupid blog? I like Timesplitters and would buy Timesplitters 4, but I'm not going to read the guy's blog hoping for news about it.

There are games that I dream about coming out, but I don't follow the creators' blogs.

The guy needs a better method for tracking interest. Cause his blog ain't it.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
You "might" have some surprises concerning TS4, Yerli? How about you shut up about TS4 unless you actually HAVE SOME SURPRISES AND/OR NEWS.

I'm getting really sick of Crytek giving us all these cryptic responses that in the end mean absolutely nothing and considering that's all they've given us the last two or three years only to say "derp, it's not in development"? Yeah, thanks Yerli. Thanks for reminding us of the constant middle finger to the fans clamoring for this title for several years now.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Podunk said:
But... but TimeSplitters was SO MUCH FUN. Future Perfect still holds a place in my heart as best FPS. When everyone else was all into their Halos, it was nice to play a game with characters, levels, game modes, and many weapons.
And Halo doesn't have that stuff? If you preferred TS to Halo then whatever, but Halo has as much as or even more content than TS.
No it doesn't.

First, when the previous poster says many weapons, he (or she) means that you could carry more than two of them at once. You could in fact carry all eight (or was it nine?) at once.

Secondly, Future Perfect had a level creator (on the PS2 version anyway) that allowed for one to create new multiplayer levels.

Thirdly, Future Perfect had... something like 150 playable characters. You want to play as a giant, zombie deer? Future Perfect has you covered. Want to play as a strangely small T-Rex? Sure thing. Want to play as a snow man? Yup. Want to play as a Chimp? FP has four different playable Chimp models.

Halo can't match that.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
The demand for timesplitters is not yet great enough so they are leaving it in stasis until the time when a lot more people want it. What?. They expect demand to grow while they do nothing with the IP?

Aug 25, 2009
I always love threads like this.

Inevitably the all descend into the same argument.

'Oh my god, me and my fifty closest internet friends all like this game, so that must mean that it's reasonable to expect the developers to devote large amounts of time and resources to making a new one!'

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
Vivi22 said:
Maybe Timesplitters fans such as myself would have shown more interest if anyone knew or cared that this guy had a blog.
This. So much this.

Why does this guy think we follow his stupid blog? I like Timesplitters and would buy Timesplitters 4, but I'm not going to read the guy's blog hoping for news about it.

There are games that I dream about coming out, but I don't follow the creators' blogs.

The guy needs a better method for tracking interest. Cause his blog ain't it.
And of all people to follow in blog form, the CEO of Crytek? The only series they have that interests me is Timesplitters, and I frequently forget they own it now. I'm not going to follow a blog about a company I don't care about in the hopes they announce or ask about something I do. And so long as they're more interested in making Crysis sequels than making something interesting, I'll continue to show little interest in anything they have to say about their games.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Just ordered an used copy of Timesplitters: Future Perfect for Xbox from some shop. I hope it works. I've never played these games, except at a friends house many, many years ago. I remember that it was an awesome game though.

OT Well market the damn thing. And besides how can they expect that every single Timesplitters fan follows some blog. I've noticed that a lot of people want Timesplitters 4 on a variety of places. Just make the game and market it and it will sell a lot of copies.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
SycoMantis91 said:
I'll tell you what TimeSplitters 4 has more interest than... CRYSIS 3
I wish. Timesplitters being a last-gen series, and a fairly poorly advertised one at that, it's only going to lose popularity as time goes on. I don't know where he expects additional interest to come from.
I honestly think enough people want to see it that it'd make up for paying to make it. It was never about photorealism so you save a lot of time and money justcopy and poasting the graphical whatever-you-call-it. I think the problem is, people don't think it'll happen and therefore don't wanna get their hopes up. Same thing with a lot of other games like this, such as say Darkstalkers 4. And hell, at lest a lot of people will perk up and say "Hmm. These guys listen, we like them." Making people like you is good for business.

Mazar_Nomoid

Jun 30, 2010
This is just ridiculous. I can't believe that they're giving us that excuse.

As much as I love the series I don't think Crytek should make. I feel that they should sell the IP to a respectable developer. I mean how much of the original team from TimeSplitters 3is still there?

They should sell the IP to Gearbox. I feel like they could make it feel like the old TimeSplitters game. If Crytek made it I'm just worried that it'd be a generic shooter. At least with Gearbox it'd have some humor and not take itself too seriously. But we all know that's probably not gonna happen. Oh well, a guy can dream.

Even if one of the surprises is a multiplayer game of Timesplitters then I'd buy it to show my support. Whatever it takes to show them that people are still interested.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Podunk said:
No it doesn't.

First, when the previous poster says many weapons, he (or she) means that you could carry more than two of them at once. You could in fact carry all eight (or was it nine?) at once.

Secondly, Future Perfect had a level creator (on the PS2 version anyway) that allowed for one to create new multiplayer levels.

Thirdly, Future Perfect had... something like 150 playable characters. You want to play as a giant, zombie deer? Future Perfect has you covered. Want to play as a strangely small T-Rex? Sure thing. Want to play as a snow man? Yup. Want to play as a Chimp? FP has four different playable Chimp models.

Halo can't match that.
Quality over quantity in my opinion, but that's just me. Oh and... Forge mode.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:

Robo-Fish and Handyman beat anything in Halo.

Also, I have no idea what Forge Mode is, but Timesplitters has Monkey Assistant, Shrink, and Vampire modes. And Monkey Curling.

BTW - if you're going to come into the Pro-Timesplitters thread and say Halo is better, expect to get some feedback on why you're wrong. Obviously this is just my opinion, but it is no less (or more) valid than your own.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Also, I have no idea what Forge Mode is, but Timesplitters has Monkey Assistant, Shrink, and Vampire modes. And Monkey Curling.

BTW - if you're going to come into the Pro-Timesplitters thread and say Halo is better, expect to get some feedback on why you're wrong. Obviously this is just my opinion, but it is no less (or more) valid than your own.
Forge mode is the multiplayer editor for Halo

Though it can't do all that crazy character creation that Timesplitters has

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I'd love to play another one but I'm also not fussed if it stays back 'there' in my head, with all the other nostalgia-rific things in my life.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Marik2 said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Forge mode is the multiplayer editor for Halo

Though it can't do all that crazy character creation that Timesplitters has
Woops! Quoted the wrong person, sorry.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Forge mode is the map maker mode.

Plus I never said Halo was better, ever, you just assumed that because I was defending it, go back and look.

I played Timesplitters 2 or 3 (can't remember which) and I freaking loved it, I would never say it was bad, just that Halo isn't bad either. In my opinion of course.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
He's right. Timesplitters has always been a B+ franchise. Something I used to rent from blockbuster back in the day

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
CardinalPiggles said:

You're not going to convince anyone just by pasting a pair of character shots up. Try giving actual reasons why Timesplitters trumps Halo. You did mention Shrink and Virus modes, but by now I think Halo has roughly the same number of multiplayer modes. To be fair though, Timesplitters' modes are far more varied.

No, there are much better reasons why Timesplitters is better than Halo, and as much as you would wish it to be, the stellar mapmaker isn't one of them, because Halo has Forge, as already mentioned. What Halo can't match with Timesplitters is other features, such as

Weapons: More of them, much more inventiveness and variety to them (and yes, Halo didn't skimp in this department either), and most can be dual-wielded. Not all of them, like Timesplitters' granddaddy Goldeneye, but then again who else could?

Map design: I won't pretend Timesplitters was the cream of the crop, but it did pretty well all the same. Halo has always tended towards larger arenas to accommodate more players, but Timesplitters' maps made themselves equally at home with 2 player duels or a full deck of players and bots.

Challenges: Many of the weapons have unique challenges that really test your ability to use them inside and out, with a scoring system that just keeps you coming back for more. One of the best 'pick up and play for 5 minutes going on an hour' modes on a console.

Humour: I'm not saying Halo needed humour- I think it actually did pretty well without it- it's just that in an age where everything is a serious tough-as-nails shooter, Timesplitters stands right out by sheer virtue of daring to be less than serious. And you know what? It actually didn't do half-bad at it, either.

Controls: It's open to opinion, of course, but before Halo decided to ape the PC layout and root the crosshair in the centre, Timesplitters was showing us all how it was done properly on a console, with much more fluid movement and a better feel of holding an actual weapon and firing it with real weight.

and the big one:

Multiplayer Bots:

Before Halo came along and dumbed everything down and standardised console shooters, there were no limits. Co-Op, Counter-Op, challenges, unlockables, secret levels, and even cheats, console shooters were vying to be the king of the living room. When Bots first appeared sometime around 2000, there seemed to be no going back- suddenly you could play anytime, even if you didn't have your friends around. They just about hit their peak with Perfect Dark, with some of the most challenging multiplayer bots around, that could even be assigned orders and could behave based on different personalities.

Halo has never had this going for it. Instead it opted for system link and online multiplayer for the most part, and succeeded... at the time. Nowadays Halo 2 lies gathering dust with nobody able to play it online, while far more ancient games like Perfect Dark and The World Is Not Enough can still be jumped into for a blastfest with bots at a moment's notice.

Timesplitters, is the latter. It has always had a wide roster of bots with their own quirks and personalities, and as such will probably still have people blasting it out in multiplayer long after the last Halo Reach server shuts down. Perhaps that, more than anything, makes it a better game, at least for arena skirmishing.