CS: GO Patch Monetizes Sprays, Makes Them Limited Use

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
CS: GO Patch Monetizes Sprays, Makes Them Limited Use

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1354/1354689.png if you have any further queries. What do you guys think about this one?

Source: Valve [http://www.counter-strike.net/graffiti/]

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
I'm with the players on this one. I'll always hate when companies make previously free stuff paid. I'd honestly rather they just get rid of the sprays entirely if that's what they're going to do. It would also take care of that transparency exploit.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wow.
Can't wait for Valve fanboys to defend this awful shit. Valve really is trying to get on EA's level.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So after this whole weapon skin gambling shit, they decide to put more monetization in it.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
...yeah, I'll just stick to Counter-Strike Source, then. Seems like Valve is really out to slowly sabotage themselves.

List

Sep 29, 2013
I'm thinking this is a showing of how much money they were making off of skin gambling. Their money raking took a dive when the skin gambling goes kaput, so they need a new and different money raking system?

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
CS:GO - otherwise known as 'how hard can we fuck our playerbase over with shitty business practices'.
BiH-Kira said:
Wow.
Can't wait for Valve fanboys to defend this awful shit. Valve really is trying to get on EA's level.
Honestly after all the Greenlight bullshit, the constant fucking over of playerbases and developers and their own lackluster production in recent years... starting to think they've surpassed EA in terms of 'shitty companies'. Shit, I don't even think EA's stooped this low, I can't recall them cutting any free features and reintroducing them as paid microtransactions in a later patch.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
CS:GO - otherwise known as 'how hard can we fuck our playerbase over with shitty business practices'.
BiH-Kira said:
Wow.
Honestly after all the Greenlight bullshit, the constant fucking over of playerbases and developers and their own lackluster production in recent years... starting to think they've surpassed EA in terms of 'shitty companies'. Shit, I don't even think EA's stooped this low, I can't recall them cutting any free features and reintroducing them as paid microtransactions in a later patch.
Ehh, ea tends to do shit things on purpose, Valve takes a laissez faire attitude which just lets shit things happen. Although this is a real shit thing to do to the game. If they want to pull this kinda thing they need to do it with a new game, not an existing one.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Wow. Custom sprays date back to Team Fortress: Classic and original Half-Life DM. For you youngins, that's 1998-99. I still remember seeing tittay's sprayed on a wall, and not being traumatized at all. And of course there were quite a few Gokus as well. And knives with blood dripping off them. I made my own Dead Kennedys symbol for a spray. And all of us were jackasses, but the sprays were free dammit!

But yeah, it's nice that Valve took fan made mods, bought them, and are now charging for functions they had from the start. Kudos Gabe Newell, you really took Darth Vader to heart.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Valve always gotta look over at Blizzard and be like, "I WANT MONEY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I can't help but feel the way way about Valve as I do about Youtube at the moment. They're leveraging their position as the only real game in town to become increasingly greedy and self destructive. I used to really respect Valve, but nowadays, it's worrying.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
The fuck? I hope someone figures out how to glitch this and abuse the hell out of it, just break it any'ol how! Valve has just used up the last drop of good will I had for them.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Holy shit.

I've seen some shitty business moves in games, but this one has to be the worst one I've encountered. I mean, removing a free feature and making you pay to get it back? I mean...just...damn. And I thought Overwatch's Summer Games fiasco was bad.

And I was actually thinking of getting CS:GO, just to see what the hype is about.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Monetized or not, spays are a bad idea because maps are supposed to be clean. Even cleaner than they are currently. Other than that I don't really care. It's still just a cosmetic item. I don't use weapons skins, I don't use stickers and I won't suddenly start using sprays. People who play the game for cosmetic items instead of core gameplay should perhaps play something else instead. Vote with your wallets.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Weresquirrel said:
I can't help but feel the way way about Valve as I do about Youtube at the moment. They're leveraging their position as the only real game in town to become increasingly greedy and self destructive. I used to really respect Valve, but nowadays, it's worrying.
Pretty much this. They've spent years of actual game-making, innovation and (at worst) buying mods and turning them into even more successful full titles. Now they're trying to cash it all in at the "Let's see what scummy shit we can get away with" wheel.

Honestly, I would almost be behind this if the sprays weren't horrifically limited. Now, a really cool spray (and there's some damn good ones made by the Community) is something I'd be willing to spend two bucks on. But what's this? I only get fifty sprays before I have to shell out more? And each spray only lasts a few minutes? Yeah, fuck right off mate.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Hey remember when Portal 2 suddenly had microtransactions but we just sort of shrugged it off?

:|

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Guess they need extra cash for those court fees for allowing those gambling sites to run.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Perhaps they saw Overwatch's use of sprays as crate fluff and thought they'd use it as an excuse to do something similar despite already having it as a free service. Bad.