CT Senator: Games a Factor in Sandy Hook Shootings

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
CT Senator: Games a Factor in Sandy Hook Shootings

Senator Chris Murphy believes games can cause violence but admits there isn't enough research to legislate.

On December 14th of 2012, Adam Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary and murdered twenty-six people, including twenty children, in addition to his mother whom he had shot earlier in the day. Understandably, people are still wondering why anyone would commit such a horrific crime and while there has been a choir of voices citing a variety of causes, more than a few have pointed to violent videogames as being one of the forces behind Lanza's actions.

In January, Senator Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut,
<a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/ct-senator-says-games-influenced-sandy-hook-shooter-6402975>gave a speech in which he singled out games as one of Lanza's driving forces. Now, Murphy has offered some clarification about his comments. "What we know is that this young man, deeply mentally ill walking the school with an assault weapon armed with 30-round magazines. What we know is that he was very, very severely mentally ill; that his mother had been trying to get him help for years. And what we also know, is that he spent a lot of time <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122752-Cop-Blames-Videogames-For-Sandy-Hook-Massacre>playing violent video games," said Murphy. "Now, nobody can sit here for certain and say that without any one of those things, without the powerful weapons, without the mental illness, without the exposure to video games, this wouldn't have happened. We can't put ourselves in his mind. But we do see a trend where some of these shooters do have exposure to these video games."

While Murphy does continue to believe games can be a factor behind incidents like the Sandy Hook massacre, he admits that there isn't sufficient research to back any sort of restrictive legislation. "What researchers will tell you, is that if you already have a severe mental illness, and a predilection to violence, perhaps the video game exposure can put you over the edge. But in and of itself, there is no research showing that there's a link," said Murphy. "Before we pass any legislation, which would limit the exposure that people have to these types of video games, I think it's important that we have the research and the data and that's what we're <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121551-President-Obama-Asks-for-Research-Into-Game-Violence>trying to do right now."

Source: <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/ct-senator-talks-role-of-violent-games-in-mass-shootings-6410678>GameSpot

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Sighs.

"But we do see a trend where some of these shooters do have exposure to these video games."
I suspect he also ate food, drank liquids, slept in a bed and wore clothes. It's this wonderful thing called "cause and effect" Mr Murphy. Something being common in all of these cases does not mean that they actually had any relevance. Until we invent time travel so we can see if removing gaming from these peoples lives would have changed anything, it is nothing more than pointless speculation.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009

Dear World: Stop. Your constant scape goating of videogames as a cause of violent behavior is becoming a nuisance. Stop. Effective immediately is a three year ban on correlation of violence and video-games. Stop. If anyone has any complaints they may direct them to the Ministry of zero fucks. Stop. So can you Please...STOP!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I am sure the use of soft drinks leads to school shootings. I don't have any evidence for it and no studies not funded by people aligned with my ideology can back it up, but it /is/ rather suspicious that all teenagers who shoot up schools, have drunk at least one can of cola in the months preceding.

Time for a full ban on soft drinks.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
Severely mentally unstable and not being treated, whether because he was avoiding the help or it wasn't really being offered/pushed his way. Being unstable and prone to violence should be addressed just as much, of not more than, how much of what games a killer played. Cracking down on entertainment and ignoring other possible problems does nobody any good because the crazy/violent people will still be crazy/violent.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
"Now, nobody can sit here for certain and say that without any one of those things, without the powerful weapons..."
Is this guy fucking high?

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
I don't know about idiot. I don't know about this man or his other politics, but from these sources alone he seems to be a lot more reasonably and logical about this than most politicians are. He goes as far to highlight that a violent mental illness and the access to assault weapons are more likely major factors, and though he does seem to be quick to jump to videogames-and the usual complaints against videogames as ridiculous as they are this sounds pretty bad- but he does suggest two things that make me relax a little; a) he says that its only in conjuction with mental illness and a predilection towards violence, and b) that there is no conclusive link and there needs to be more research.

So yes, it's good to stay aware and help tell this representative that no, Videogames are not a threat that needs to be restricted, and you should not go after them.

But we shouldn't freak out at politicians who are actually willing to wait for more information before utterly condemning them and attempting to enact legislation. Tell him what you think, let him wait for research data, and give him a chance to see and change his mind.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Of course, correlation = causality. Silly me, how could I not see it?

Oh well, at least he's willing to wait for conclusive research. That's something. Not much, but something. Probably won't stop him from ignoring the results if they don't acknowledge his ideas though.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Oh god, shut the fuck up you appalling twit. I don't have the energy for these people any more. It's like if the Flat Earth people were in the news every other week, or not being able to click on the BBC News Health section without seeing articles from crystal healing wizards denouncing modern medicine.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Kahani said:
CT Senator: "I'm an idiot."
Just to play devil's avocado for a second here, but isn't dismissing anyone who merely mentions the possibility of video games having an adverse effect on people equally idiotic.

I'm not saying I think video games contribute to violent tendencies in any way, I'm just saying I think we should keep our minds open lest we fall to the same ignorance that we assume has claimed our critics.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
There is also evidence that he lived in a state where Chris Murphy is a senator. Better make some anti-Chris Murphy legislation to stop such terrible crimes happening again!

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
In other news, the sky is blue.

Move along, nothing to see here, just another idiot saying what dozens of other idiots have said publicly over the past year, why is this even here?

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
And another Senator calls out for the cheapest shot

Because dealing with the actual problems is hard.. you wouldn't want to actually work for your money right. Nah just pull out the usual cheap shot.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Now, nobody can sit here for certain and say that without any one of those things, without the powerful weapons, without the mental illness, without the exposure to video games, this wouldn't have happened.
Erm...what.

Of course without the POWERFUL WEAPONS this would have never happened, everyone (except maybe him the idiot) can say that for certain. It blows my mind how someone like this can even get elected. Man I want to punch that smug face of his.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
"What researchers will tell you, is that if you already have a severe mental illness, and a predilection to violence, perhaps the video game exposure can put you over the edge."
Huh? What "researchers" have said this? Citation needed. Jack Thompson is not a "researcher".

"But in and of itself, there is no research showing that there's a link."
Oh, there are no researchers who are saying this then, and you're just trolling us?

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
Cows say, "Moo."
Sheep say, "Baa."
Senators say, "Violent video games probably cause violence."

-

Good to know stuff's back to normal. I thought something was wrong for a couple days there when Microsoft actually made a good decision.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
I don't think I've played the video game where you walk around an elementary school and pop children for a high score. If violent video games did persuade him to commit an act of violence don't you think he would more likely try to reinact the "simulation" that pushed him than to just go off in a school?

Dr. Octogonopus

Aug 31, 2010
So a mentally ill person living in a country that allows easy access to high calibre weaponry goes on a school massacre.

Curse you Doom 3 when will you learn that there are innocent lives at stake.