Cuddly Pokemon and the Demons That Spawned Them

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Cuddly Pokemon and the Demons That Spawned Them

Horrifying murderous creature, I choose you!

Read Full Article

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The only one I knew about was the Kappa one. That actually was very cool to read about.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Just read some of the original Pok'e'dex entires, besides from being kind of ridiculous some are down right messed up.

Take this mother for instance, who drags sailors to their deaths.

Or this twisted thing!... stuff of nightmares.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Great article, I've always found myths from any culture a fascinating window into what their values and life was like. Something interesting I've observed from reading both western and eastern myths is that western heroes tend to be focused on using their wits or skills to solve a problem whereas eastern heroes tend to have a much greater focus on virtue, particularly loyalty to a parent or social superior, though this is anecdotal.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Hmmm...this article ties in quite nicely with this:

Game Theory: PokƩmon, Jynx Justified [http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-theory/game-theory-pokemon-jynx-justified]

MatPat recently did this on the origins of Jynx...and this article seems to be more such origins. BTW...is it just me, or is Thunderus based on traditional depictions of the Japanese thunder god, Raiden? (Not to be confused with the MK depiction.)

CAPTCHA: sun tzu says

Well, whatever he says...I'm definitely listening! Just, uh...tell him to stay away from a Vlad "The Impaler" Tepes if he can. Trust me on this one.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
[http://s91291220.onlinehome.us/formica/artist-terajin.jpg]Haha, a series taking creatures like tengu and kitsune and nekomata and making them adorable and only superficially related to the source material.

How silly.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Japanese culture is fun. >:D

Also, regardless of backstory...

Still the creepiest pokemon.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I love reading the pokedex entries because of how messed up they are.

-If you see Articuno while lost in the mountains, it's an omen you're going to freeze to death.
-Sableye steals the souls of people.
-Banette gets energy for curses by stabbing it's self with needles.
-Darkrai gives people horrific nightmares (unintentionally of course)

Let's not forget Absol, who's whole reputation is a bringer of natural disasters.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Cool stuff. I like that I actually knew a few of these.

Also, I remember that attack of Lombre's being used in Doomsday Arcade.
>_> It's always super effective.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
That was really cool. I'd only known of a few.
I think Mawile is by far the creepiest and coolest thing there. I always thought there must have been a story behind that pokemons weird-ass design.

I still find Hypno's pokedex description really creepy, how it once kidnapped a child.

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
[http://s91291220.onlinehome.us/formica/artist-terajin.jpg]Haha, a series taking creatures like tengu and kitsune and nekomata and making them adorable and only superficially related to the source material.

How silly.
Yeah, there are literally thousands of examples like this. It's pretty pervasive culturally.

Rakor said:
Japanese culture is fun. >:D

Also, regardless of backstory...

Still the creepiest pokemon.
WHAT THE...? It looks like Hurricane Sandy hit Wonka's Factory.

Eclipse Dragon said:
I love reading the pokedex entries because of how messed up they are.

-If you see Articuno while lost in the mountains, it's an omen you're going to freeze to death.
-Sableye steals the souls of people.
-Banette gets energy for curses by stabbing it's self with needles.
-Darkrai gives people horrific nightmares (unintentionally of course)

Let's not forget Absol, who's whole reputation is a bringer of natural disasters.

Yeah, there are some seriously messed up Pokedex entries, a lot of which have little or nothing to do with Japanese folklore, but it's likely that the culture of Yokai inspired the devs.

Neronium said:
The only one I knew about was the Kappa one. That actually was very cool to read about.
Believe it or not, in Hawaii I actually grew up with stories of the kappa since Japanese migrants transplanted a lot of their ghost lore to the islands. People also see the noppera-bo, the faceless ghost, though in Hawaii we tended to call it the Mujina - which in Japan is a name for a type of shape-changing tanuki that often changes into a noppera-bo.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Great article! I always considered Golduck to be very kappa-like.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
great article man, iv always had a fascination with myths folklore and urban legends of all kinds. and the japanese yokai are no exception to that, i just think its awesome that these stories and all the wonderful creatures that inhabit them are being preserved for the general public, so that its not just folklorist,historians and geeks like myself that remember them.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
The Touhou series turns the yokai into quasi-dark anime girls; Pokemon turns them into fluffy animals. I am noticing a trend here.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Mawile, the cute little PokƩ with a pair of steel jaws coming out of the back of her head, took inspiration from the futakuchi-onna, a cursed woman whose skull split in the back to reveal a gluttonous second mouth that would scream when it wasn't fed.
I'd feed Mawile, if you know what I mean.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Great article. Japanese folklore has always been especially weird and fascinating to me, I love learning more about it.

Tracer Kinship

Nov 20, 2009
PunkRex said:

Or this twisted thing!... stuff of nightmares.
I was hoping this one would come up.

See, I remember catching that fellow on a Friday a couple of years ago, thinking that it was adorable and would be a great addition to my team.

Then I read on the Pokedex that it tries (and fails) to kidnap children and/or send them to the underworld.

... He was my favorite member on the team from then on.

Planktonboy

Aug 10, 2009
I'm not so sure about this article, some of the links are tenuous at best. Both of the lores are large enough that having some crossover isn't surprising. For example, comparing lombre to kappas just because of the lily pad is ridiculous, the pokemon is more strongly rooted in Mexican culture than anything else.
On the other hand, the details around Frosslass were much more compelling, I believe that the author was accurate in this instance. Enough background was given and direct connections between the pokemon lore and folklore were highlighted. However, for every other point, I remain utterly unconvinced that the author isn't just making things up.
Essentially, the article would be better for having more detail, which given three pages, I feel should be present.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Formica Archonis said:

How silly.
Touhou doesn?t count because they only look cute there all still evil assholes especially chen and mystia (I know you showed aya but she?s only kind of a ***** not really evil)the only reason I think they look like that is because they guy who made touhou cant draw to save his life so instead of trying to draw youkai he threw up his hands said there all shape shifters anyway and turned all of the evil monsters into little girls.