Cult Classic Games

ZombieFace

Dec 16, 2008
I believe left for dead will become a cult classic, i can see them making more downloadable maps for LIVE.

James is a nerd

Dec 24, 2008
Graustein said:
EarthBound fits the bill perfectly.
It sold rather poorly outside of Japan, but over the years has ammassed a large and dedicated following, many of whom are trying extremely hard to get Nintendo to localise Mother 3 outside of Japan.
Seconded.

Earthbound is one of my all time favourite games.
Its so delightfuly quirky!

Another one of my favourite games which I would call a cult classic is Chrono Trigger.
A lot of people love this game and a lot more will now that the DS version is out.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
I'm going with Shadow of Rome. I'm really suprised it didn't do better considering in came out in the wake of Gladiator, was made by a reputable studio who are known for making quality titles and was as gory as hell with a great combat system. I'd take this over Resi 4 any day. Everyone I've shown it to is mighty impressed and gets a copy.

Shadow of Memories is another great game, and probably a true cult game in as much as no buggers heard of it but those that have love it and remember it as something truely special despite it's flaws.

Vib Ribbon. A stunning game that fetches silly money these days. Gave mine away when I sold my PS1. What a fecking tool.

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge Best online game ever and one of the greatest flight games ever made.

Mean Mother Rucker

Oct 27, 2008
Untamed Waters said:
Yellow Lad Unleashed said:
Untamed Waters said:
Yellow Lad Unleashed said:
Final Fantasy 7, 'nuff said.

You must be joking.
What gives you that impression?
Final Fantasy 7 was a phenomenon and I doubt that you can tell me that there still isn't a fanbase for it. The Final Fantasy series by itself is phenomenal in the public's reaction to it. The ratings prove it, the Final Fantasy series is astounding in it's fanbase. Even though in recent years, the Final Fantasy 7 bandwagon has slipped off the trail because of Final Fantasy: Advent Children, there are still enough people out there that love Final Fantasy 7 to make it a cult classic.

We're talking about cult classics. Usually an under rated game that has a small fanbase, but very loyal fans. I will admit that FF7 is VERY popular, but that's the thing, it's VERY popular.
You've got a point there, but consider that the fans for Final Fantasy 7 are very loyal as well, so we can call it a cult classic even though the fanbase is not exactly tiny, it still can be counted as a "Cult Classic", the definition from allwords.com states that it is "A work of fiction that is extremely popular with a select audience but may or may not be successful at the time of the work's original publication." And Final Fantasy 7 was highly successful on release. So let's compromise, Final Fantasy 7 is and is not a cult classic because it meets certain aspects of the definition, but not all.

EDIT: Also, if we're going by the Wiki definition, it states, "Often, cult [classics] have failed to achieve fame outside of the small fanbases; however, there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame amongst mainstream audiences,"

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
I would say that Psychonauts was a cult classic until Yahtzee began running his mouth about it. Condemned was a great game, I guess I would consider it a cult classic.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I'd have to go with Fallout 1 and 2 as well. Before 3 was even considered nobody had any clue there were 2 others. Well...nobody out of the elite gaming crowd here at the escapist it seems. I've asked many of my friends if they've ever even heard of the other two and they just shook their heads. So yeah, I think cult classic would have to be handed to Fallout 1/2 on this one.

GregorV

Aug 22, 2006
Grand Prix Legends. A scarily realistic driving simulation that was way ahead of its time and too difficult for most, plus it dealt with historic racing which made it less popular with the GT crowd. That it is still being played online (one of the first racing games to work well online) and getting modded more than 10 years after its release is just astonishing.

From the same year, Falcon 4.0. Much the same applies to this game as to Grand Prix Legends. A game so far ahead of its time that it has still not been surpassed in many respects after all these years. Unfortunately it has been horribly buggy upon release. While it has been patched to a stable level and re-released, it has never gained proper popularity. You basically have to know how to operate a real F-16 in order to play it, which can be done by studying the very thick accompanying manual, and that quickly narrowed the player base as well. But it still remains a firm favourite with many virtual pilots.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
You hear the phrase "Cult classic" chucked around a lot in the film industry, but I've never really heard it used when describing a game.

Do you have a game you would consider a "Cult Classic" and why? If you've played several which of them is your faviourite?

EDIT: Some people are a bit confused as to what a "Cult Classic" is. A cult classic is a film (or in this case, game) that isn't very popular but has recieved a small, cult like following that adore it.

A good example is Psyconauts, a game that has been played by few, but is held in high regard by thoughs who have.
I'd put all of the Tim Schafer games at the top of the list, followed by Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Bored Tomatoe said:
I would say that Psychonauts was a cult classic until Yahtzee began running his mouth about it.
So thats everyone that bought the game before hand (the retail was 100,000) plus everyone thats seen the zero punction review. Added all up, thats still not that many.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
I would say that Psychonauts was a cult classic until Yahtzee began running his mouth about it.
So thats everyone that bought the game before hand (the retail was 100,000) plus everyone thats seen the zero punction review. Added all up, thats still not that many.
Well, financially, yes it is a cult classic, but now most people know about it, I meant awareness wise.

Ohgr

May 7, 2008
Fallout 1/2 did very well critically speaking, on their respective releases. This puts into question it's Cult Classic status. Althought I have no idea how well it did financially, which I suppose is the more pressing issue.

The Splatterhouse games are my favourite so called cult classics.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Would the Futurama game be considered a cult classic? It seems to fit the definition for the most part, not sure if it has a real dedicated audience but there are those who love it.

And would Simpsons: Hit & Run count? I don't really think so, as it sold really well. But it was kind of a sleeper hit, and there's still a somewhat dedicated audience.

TheKillerCliche

Jun 28, 2010
Conkers Bad Fur Day

Internal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Fatal Frame

Loco Roco

EchoChrome

Flower

Phantasy Star

These are some that haven't been mentioned.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Graustein said:
EarthBound fits the bill perfectly.
It sold rather poorly outside of Japan, but over the years has ammassed a large and dedicated following, many of whom are trying extremely hard to get Nintendo to localise Mother 3 outside of Japan.
I would still buy a DS just for that one game. But with all of the Beatles and music references, this one would never see the light of the US outside of the internet.

*sniff*

I love that series...

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
xitel said:
Yeah, I know Shadow of the Colossus is a cult classic in my definition of the term.
Absolutely. It is one of the single best games I've ever played.

OT: I reckon War of the Monsters is a cult classic, albiet a small and obscure cult of all of my friends.