Cult films that are actually good?

RedMore Trout

Jul 29, 2011
It's not a film, but Twin Peaks is a series you should definitely check out. It's very odd, and kinda low budget, but you can't deny it's charm. It's about an FBI agent who comes to a small town to investigate a murder. It also influenced a lot of games you have probably played. (Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition and to a lesser extent Silent Hill)

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
TheNaut131 said:
Well, this movie was pretty cool.

Can't help but agree. Moon was an incredible movie, and far more people should have seen it.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Tiger Sora said:
Super Mario Bros. You can't deny it's awesomeness. Two plumbers from New York in an alternate dimension, yes.
Freaking awesome movie. Remember watching it as a kid when I was sick; my mom remembered me playing the NES game, so she went out and rented it. I need to find it again... All I can remember from it was that it was awesome and that there were weird spider-web things everywhere.

Um... Evil Dead has already been mentioned... Slightly less 'cult', but Mad Max movies are always entertaining, especially with drinking. Donnie Darko is entertaining... Although it's called a 'cult classic', Ferris Bueller's Day Off you've probably seen (along with everyone else in the world). Still, if you haven't, you need to.

L1gh7Sp33d

Apr 15, 2009
I watched Terry Gilliam's Brazil about a week ago, expecting typical cult quirkiness. I got a movie that, although strange, was absolutely epic as a sum of its parts.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Well, I looked through this thread and while some I would've said have been said, I feel I should add two if they do indeed apply.

They Live, and Big Trouble in Little China

Edit
Also, Galaxy of Terror, and Event Horizon

zpm4737

Dec 25, 2008
The original Wicker Man is often described as a cult classic, but that's a real film fan's film. If you don't like your movies to challenge you intellectually, it isn't for you. The Evil Dead series has been mentioned, and so has Moon, which is also great.

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
I'm not sure if it's considered cult but Twelve Monkeys was a great movie.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I suppose you could consider Man on Wire a cult film, and it was oh so very good.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
The Blues Brothers was a cult film in its time, and it is definitely quite good.

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
Does Requiem for a Dream count as a cult film?

Anyway, CUBE and Jacob's Ladder are my picks.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. (Atleast, I think it's cult.)

It's perfect if you have read the comics. If not, it's still a perfect gamer flick.
I don't about everyone else, but in Australia this is -not- a cult film.

Does Boondock Saints count? If yes, watch Boondock Saints.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Jisatsu no Bu (I think that's the proper Japanese title, the English is 'Suicide Club') is a thoroughly terrifying movie, and one of the most brilliant deconstructions of a society I've ever seen.

I'm kinda surprised no one's mentioned Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog yet. It's a fantastic movie, and the music is definitely worth singing to.

People have mentioned my other favorites, Cannibal! The Musical and Repo! The Genetic Opera (I like twisted musicals, what can I say?)

If you need a reason to watch Cannibal, may I suggest that you just need the definition of 'shpadoinkle'?

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
As other people have said, Cannibal the Musical is hilarious and Repo: the Genetic Opera is FANTASTIC. I love Repo so much. I really need to buy both of those movies one of these days.

Here. Repo trailer. Witness the awesomeness. Also? GILES IS IN IT. And Paris Hilton surprisingly doesn't suck in it!