Curt Schilling May Lose Baseball Treasures

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Scorpid said:
Gah why can't this guy be a dick... =(
He isn't? As was reported ignored anyone who gave him advice he didn't like, lied to employees about the company's health and their relocation packages, laid everyone off via email, hired inexperienced relatives for high-paying jobs, and micromanaged things he knew nothing about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118682-Curt-Schilling-Opens-Up-About-38-Studios-Collapse].
I just read the article and this was my face for the entire read:

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Scorpid said:
He isn't? As was reported ignored anyone who gave him advice he didn't like, lied to employees about the company's health and their relocation packages, laid everyone off via email, hired inexperienced relatives for high-paying jobs, and micromanaged things he knew nothing about [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118682-Curt-Schilling-Opens-Up-About-38-Studios-Collapse].
But he was so enthusiastic! It was all about the enthusiasm man. He was like. We can do this! Then he gave the middle finger to reality when reality kept tellin him he was bein an idiot. Who doesn't love someone like that?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
viranimus said:
Yeah, I really loathe hearing about this. Its so beyond wrong.

I know EA was in the middle of their ME3 Shitstorm, but cmon, You would think that EA would have helped out to give them enough time to make a profit off the product instead of destroying the studio as well as the IP which is now technically property of the state? And an MMO that could have been converted to a single player game to let them make a little bit more money back.

Everything that has come out of this has been utterly useless for the world, and only in the interest of a handful of people.
Mass Effect nothing. EA just got done funding the absolute failure of a Star Wars MMO, they are NOT going to step-in and save a dying studio only to be stuck funding yet another MMO.

Edit: Okay, so maybe not "absolute" failure, but it's been rocky at best.

Orlake

Jun 1, 2011
Continually ignoring and/or belittling the problem, keeping a pretense of control, and all the while doing nothing to address the growing monster of a problem getting bigger and bigger right under his nose.......

The very same attitude and politics that was the reason behind the clusterfuck that is Chernobyl.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
I really am torn on this as such. I don't want to see the guy go deep on this, but on the flip side, the concept of responsibility for your actions in business is such a novel thing these days I'm kind of glad to see it.
Except it's happening to someone who actually gives a damn about other people and is willing to accept responsibility. Why couldn't the bankers and stock brokers get hung out to dry when they crashed our god damn economy into the ground? Clearly they didn't give a shit about us.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
[Mass Effect nothing. EA just got done funding the absolute failure of a Star Wars MMO, they are NOT going to step-in and save a dying studio only to be stuck funding yet another MMO.

Edit: Okay, so maybe not "absolute" failure, but it's been rocky at best.
Yeah I was going to say. Actually TOR isnt as much as a failure as people think. It made back roughly half of its staggering production costs within the first six months. If the theory that F2P+ Microtrans model generates more revenue, when it hits F2P, it should be able to knock out whatever is left remaining of that in short order before they have to start looking at a large scale expansion.

As for EAs woes... you could point to the string of DA2, ToR, ME3 as that who perfect shitstorm trifecta.

But two points. First, the studio itself while definitely had some internal problems, It was not in bad shape. If you take a major dev/publisher, who controls the studio like EA, it could have been a case of say bullfrog type where the dev is ground into pulp, or it could be the bioware type that keeps chugging along under EAs iron fist.

But there was something that could have been worked there.

As for Copernicus, I might not have made it clear, what I was suggesting was to scrap the idea of it being an MMO, take the content that was already dev'd for the MMO, run it into a single player affair. That way instead of having a full fledged dev cycle for a stand alone game, you can take what was already made, add a fraction of the work load to modify it into a single player game in order to get another product on the market with the 38 logo to try to further generate more revenue to pay down the debt, instead of just obliterating what was built and to leave it not even on a vanburen level of incomplete. I really do think this would have been a much more practical solution instead of burn, rape, pillage and salt the earth under the studio.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Scorpid said:
Thanks for the link, I remember this well but it seemed like others forgot/missed this.

You wanna feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for the employees who lost their jobs/ money, give them a hat and a bloody sock!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TitanAura said:
Except it's happening to someone who actually gives a damn about other people and is willing to accept responsibility. Why couldn't the bankers and stock brokers get hung out to dry when they crashed our god damn economy into the ground? Clearly they didn't give a shit about us.
Because NOBODY has to take responsibility. That doesn't make it a good thing, but it is what it is. Shilling likely could have weaseled his way out, too. He didn't, which is an excellent thing to behold in this day and age.

Why do bad things happen to good people, you might ask. It's because good people tend to do the right thing.