Apr 1, 2009
Wait, this thread wasn't locked?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I feel I never got an answer from the person who created and directed this movie and what people actually has to say about the director herself.

Because a lot of the ire is directed Netflix themselves who only distributed it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel I never got an answer from the person who created and directed this movie and what people actually has to say about the director herself.
The director herself got a bunch of harrasment and death threats; very unnecessarry. It's one thing to not like the film, but yet we have another case of people being offended or passionate and feel the best way is to respond in violence or threats of rape.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Because a lot of the ire is directed Netflix themselves who only distributed it.
As I understand it, they didn't just distribute it. They also changed the thumbnail/poster for the film from something far more mundane, to a ridiculously sexualized poster that, (according to many) doesn't accurately reflect what the film is about, and is instead, a prime example of the problem with our entertainment media, sexualizing everything women/girls do. A point that the film was trying to address.

In short, the director of the film was trying to tell a story about how everything girls do is filtered to a hypersexualized lens in our society, and it's harmful for them. Cue the netflix poster doing exactly that, and causing a lot of the outrage, and somewhat proving the director's point.

Didn't see the film myself, but the difference in tone in the 2 posters, pre and post netflix are hilariously striking.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
As I understand it, they didn't just distribute it. They also changed the thumbnail/poster for the film from something far more mundane, to a ridiculously sexualized poster that, (according to many) doesn't accurately reflect what the film is about, and is instead, a prime example of the problem with our entertainment media, sexualizing everything women/girls do. A point that the film was trying to address.

In short, the director of the film was trying to tell a story about how everything girls do is filtered to a hypersexualized lens in our society, and it's harmful for them. Cue the netflix poster doing exactly that, and causing a lot of the outrage, and somewhat proving the director's point.

Didn't see the film myself, but the difference in tone in the 2 posters, pre and post netflix are hilariously striking.
The film actually fails pretty hard in its message. One key problem is that the sexualized dances are something a group of girls are already doing when the film begins and the main character is "ending up in a bad crowd". It doesn't show how society itself is causing this but ends up making it seem as if these particular girls just naturally felt attracted to and started engaging in this stuff.

The director failed horrifically is the main point. She made a film that got supported by the people she was making it to call out and hated by the people she was apparently on the side of.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The film actually fails pretty hard in its message. One key problem is that the sexualized dances are something a group of girls are already doing when the film begins and the main character is "ending up in a bad crowd". It doesn't show how society itself is causing this but ends up making it seem as if these particular girls just naturally felt attracted to and started engaging in this stuff.

The director failed horrifically is the main point. She made a film that got supported by the people she was making it to call out and hated by the people she was apparently on the side of.
*shrugs* Like I said, didn't see it, so couldn't comment on that. I was just clarifying what I recall being at least one of the issues people had with netflix's involvement, and that it wasn't "just distributing it" as the poster I quoted said.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The routine the girls had at first was much closer to a normal pop routine. Amy sexes it up because she only sees that sexier is better as she wants to shake free from her family. The other girls (we can assume) have had someone tell them that "that's an adult thing, you're still a kid" but Amy hasn't so there is no filter
She made a film that got supported by the people she was making it to call out.
Wait a sec... Who were those? I don't think there was any call out there.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Media idiots who try to make things appear more sexual? Like the media idiots running netflix.
I saw it (on top of listening and reading through the director's interviews) more as a criticism (if even that) of the sexualized environment that everyone just kinda takes as is.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The director herself got a bunch of harrasment and death threats; very unnecessarry. It's one thing to not like the film, but yet we have another case of people being offended or passionate and feel the best way is to respond in violence or threats of rape.
Isn't the reason moviebob got flack for defending the movie is because he was partly defending the director herself.

The idea of "I must defend this woman and her film no matter what to aid in the effort to get more Black Female Directors in the Film Industry, no matter what her creation was"?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't the reason moviebob got flack for defending the movie is because he was partly defending the director herself.

The idea of "I must defend this woman and her film no matter what to aid in the effort to get more Black Female Directors in the Film Industry, no matter what her creation was"?
Yes, he did get flack, but I don't care about that. She still got harassed and threats sent to her even before Bob started defending her. I don't care if I like her creation or not. The same goes for everyone else. Love or hate something, it's not worth trying to harm that person just for making it. It shows how we can Petty mail into the person is and they got nothing on their lies that they feel the need to threaten somebody to feel better about themselves or feel strong. Especially when it starts sending racist and sexist comments.