Cyberpunk 2077 is delayed till November

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
A delay, three weeks before the supposed release and when the discs are already being printed is a red flag big enough to make it look like the Soviet Union has returned. At this point I find it more than likely that the game and the development thereof is an unsalvageable mess.
Day 1 100gb patch that rewrites the entire game on the disk here we come! I mean seriously as much as it does look good, does anyone think its going to be anything but a complete glitchy mess?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Between the crunch and over a year of delays, at this point I pretty much can't see how this game isn't a giant disappointment. Especially after they've already confirmed through twitter and PR serveral times that the game is good to go on November 19th or whatever the fuck it was. Now literally 3 weeks away you announce another oops. The game is fucked isn't it?

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
*shrug* I was already going to play it. Three more weeks is better than the last delay of six months. I don't know why they did it beyond the announcement, but, to put it bluntly, as long as my wait doesn't cross into year 10, I'm going to be fine with it. I would like to spend a few solid weekends with it before the New year, at least...
More crunch time?
3 more weekends that are compensated under Polish law at least.
Day 1 100gb patch that rewrites the entire game on the disk here we come! I mean seriously as much as it does look good, does anyone think its going to be anything but a complete glitchy mess?
They had a hands-on of the first four hours streamed to gaming journalists in the Spring and the issues they came across seemed to be more the handling of the combat and driving mechanics, which sandbox games often have issues with. I don't know what they're doing with those extra 3 weeks, but I suspect more issues are going to lie in the latter portions of the game given the massive amount of interaction that has been heavily implied between story beats.

I've played glitchy messes and some manage to rise above that (FO: New Vegas being the prime example), and others that didn't (I have a copy of Too human) and while I suspect the technical issues with CP2077 are fewer than most games, I also suspect based on the Witcher series that issues will be addressed post-launch.

Not every company is going to be like Nintendo where 99% of everything is ironed out before they even announce the game, but they do appear to be taking the adage of "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad," seriously.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
First off, taking a day off work for a video game is sad. Second off all, just call out sick. Dummy.
If there's one thing I've learned as I've managed being an adult (a self-employed one at that), it's that leisure time is important and you get less than you think you do. For some, that day might be the one time they have to do a deep dive into the game between their other responsibilities. For others, it might just be a way to make it so they don't have divided focus at work on the launch day (I had a similar experience with BG3 last month).

I mean, is it really any different than someone taking a few days to go to a con, a concert, or a sports tourney? Or just having a vacation? Everyone has their hobbies, let them do what they want.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I never understood that adage. A delayed game is not eventually good, its eventually finished. There's no guarantee its good. And if a game is delayed indefinitely its not a game, its a failed project.
Not that I'm saying cyberpunk will be a failed game, just that a delay just means its not currently finished. It has nothing to do with quality. The game could currently be fantastic, and the best piece of art every conceived, but its just not finished. Alternatively on launch day it could be a piece of hot garbage that give your dog cancer and bricks your PC, but its simply a finished product.

The reason I think CP will be a mess is all the hype, all the expectations and all the just made up shit the fans have declared are in the game, and if they aren't they'll hate it. Like the custom genitals. Even if its in the game I doubt you'll be able to alter individual testicle size and shape and color and turn a vagina sideways. At most you'll be able to expand or decrease a bust size or bulge.
And the list of features either promised and removed, or fan self-promised and never confirmed is growing. I'm sensing another No Man's Sky, but with all the bugs and missing features found on launch day.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean, is it really any different than someone taking a few days to go to a con, a concert, or a sports tourney? Or just having a vacation? Everyone has their hobbies, let them do what they want.
IMO they are different things. Because concerts, cons, and sports are limited things. They occur on the date they occur and no other times. However a video game is a thing you buy, own, and can play whenever the fuck you want. What difference does taking a day of of work mean, when you could just as easily focus your next day off after release to sit and enjoy the shit out of it? If you have to work the day it comes out, oh well, it'll be there when you get off and every single other day beyond that. You aren't given a limited time to play the game before it goes away from your life forever.

Therefore taking time off and being upset that the game is delayed or whatever is kind of weak.

I never understood that adage. A delayed game is not eventually good, its eventually finished. There's no guarantee its good. And if a game is delayed indefinitely its not a game, its a failed project.
Not that I'm saying cyberpunk will be a failed game, just that a delay just means its not currently finished. It has nothing to do with quality. The game could currently be fantastic, and the best piece of art every conceived, but its just not finished. Alternatively on launch day it could be a piece of hot garbage that give your dog cancer and bricks your PC, but its simply a finished product.

The reason I think CP will be a mess is all the hype, all the expectations and all the just made up shit the fans have declared are in the game, and if they aren't they'll hate it. Like the custom genitals. Even if its in the game I doubt you'll be able to alter individual testicle size and shape and color and turn a vagina sideways. At most you'll be able to expand or decrease a bust size or bulge.
And the list of features either promised and removed, or fan self-promised and never confirmed is growing. I'm sensing another No Man's Sky, but with all the bugs and missing features found on launch day.
It's funny you say that, because No Man's Sky took the year or so after release and actually made the game good. So your example kind of disproves your own point. In theory if the game has been delayed substaintially, it could have launched in a pretty good state.

That being said, Cyberpunk is starting to look like a very pretty mess. It'll be a good looking game, but I think all the warnings of the moment to moment gameplay actually being rather mediocre.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
As the OP, my thoughts on yet another delay is....nothing.

I don't feel any emotions. No anger, hope, sad, happy. Nothing. It is what it is. The only thing I am sure of is; At least this isn't Bethesda with their broken launches.

At least point, I wouldn't care if the game gets delayed to the actual 2077. There are always other games to turn to

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
No Man's Sky doesn't disprove my point because its not a good game, its just a finished game. Now good is relative, and some people thought it was good at launch. That's all well and good, but it wasn't finished. And then a year or so after it sold as a finished product it was finally finished.
No Man's Sky isn't an example of devs buckling down and making a good game, its a warning story of launching a game a full year before its ready and becoming a laughing stock and byword for terrible production and flaws.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No Man's Sky doesn't disprove my point because its not a good game, its just a finished game. Now good is relative, and some people thought it was good at launch. That's all well and good, but it wasn't finished. And then a year or so after it sold as a finished product it was finally finished.
No Man's Sky isn't an example of devs buckling down and making a good game, its a warning story of launching a game a full year before its ready and becoming a laughing stock and byword for terrible production and flaws.

Right but the point is that if No Man's Sky had been delayed, it would have been a much better product once finally released. As opposed to what you originally said against the Miamoto quote.

Sure "goodness" is subjective for everyone. However usually there are clear distinctions between games given all the time needed to cook in the oven, versus those that are shoved out the door to flounder.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
The reason I think CP will be a mess is all the hype, all the expectations and all the just made up shit the fans have declared are in the game, and if they aren't they'll hate it.
How do people's expectations make the game a mess? The game is it's own thing. You can say the game's reception will be a mess, and my reply to that would be I don't give a shit what society thinks, either I'll have fun with it my own way or I won't.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This is getting metal gear solid 3 & 5 levels of silly in delays. It is a good thing I have zero interest in this game the crunch is still bullshit as ever.
Both of those games were pretty amazing though, even if V‘s story was technically unfinished. And Subsistence was the update the third game should’ve had from day one.

Anyways, have they blamed anything yet? Like saying because they got bad press about more crunch that they decided to go easier on the team and delay again?

Do you see people?!

Do you see it can’t be had both ways?!?!

lol

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Both of those games were pretty amazing though, even if V‘s story was technically unfinished. And Subsistence was the update the third game should’ve had from day one.
Yet neither of us got either game. Though my brother didn't know five existed until about a few months after it came out. Due to constant delays, we both lost interest with mgs3. V I knew it was going to be a bit of a mess, but I felt there was nothing left to tell at that point. Yes, I already know about the twist. It was telegraphed pretty easily and made to justify a retcon in the very first metal gear game on MSX.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
How do people's expectations make the game a mess? The game is it's own thing. You can say the game's reception will be a mess, and my reply to that would be I don't give a shit what society thinks, either I'll have fun with it my own way or I won't.
By mess in terms of fans, I do mean the reception. That fans have built this game so much in their minds whatever is released won't be enough and the CDRed will be on damage control saying "No, we never promised the entire cast of Just Shoot Me was going to make a cameo in Halloween Land.

Right but the point is that if No Man's Sky had been delayed, it would have been a much better product once finally released. As opposed to what you originally said against the Miamoto quote.

Sure "goodness" is subjective for everyone. However usually there are clear distinctions between games given all the time needed to cook in the oven, versus those that are shoved out the door to flounder.
Sure it would have been a better product in that it was finished. That's been my point the entire time. Delaying a game doesn't make it a good game, it makes it a finished game. If No man sky was delayed a full year and released finished it would have been finished. The quality of that product is up to the individual.
My point about the Miamoto quote is he's implying a game would be good if it takes a long time to make it, and that's not true. It simply takes a long time to make it. A full finished game can be worse than a half-assed rush game in that the customers enjoy the half-assed game more.

To bring it back to CyberPunk my worry is that regardless of how long the game is in development it still won't please fans and maybe even the central gameplay loop will be boring. That delaying the game isn't a guarantee its going to be good, merely that its not finished yet.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States

If you've been tracking the game itself, the hype is real, but both CDPR and other members of the community have been keeping expectations anchored to what is more reasonable (No Man's Sky remains the gold standard of "don't overhype your game and don't ship an incomplete one"). The complexity of the interacting parts is on par with developments in the industry and whole features have been publicly announced as cut (wall running being the most notable). The genital customization question is one that trolls literally took and ran with it because it's genitals, the thing trolls love more than anything.

We'll see how the final product turns out. My expectations are high, but after being burned by Deus Ex and Fallout 76, they're not unreasonable. Just give me a game with a customizable avatar that I can choose the gender of, swap around some points to up damage or stats, maybe give me a cybernetic eye, and a game world that doesn't feel like a slog like GTAV was (I will never get those six hours back), and I'll be happy.
IMO they are different things. Because concerts, cons, and sports are limited things. They occur on the date they occur and no other times. However a video game is a thing you buy, own, and can play whenever the fuck you want. What difference does taking a day of of work mean, when you could just as easily focus your next day off after release to sit and enjoy the shit out of it? If you have to work the day it comes out, oh well, it'll be there when you get off and every single other day beyond that. You aren't given a limited time to play the game before it goes away from your life forever.

Therefore taking time off and being upset that the game is delayed or whatever is kind of weak.
I think being upset over a delay in 2020 is weak. I think thinking someone else is "sad" for taking a holiday to focus on something they enjoy is also weak.

I disagree with the "it'll always be there," because it's like a movie. Yeah, you can watch it again, but you never get a first boot up sequence ever again, the feeling of stepping into a world for the first time and trying to understand how it works. The big reveal of the twist and that first walkthrough where you're more interested in getting there than the desired destination. The first time I booted up Skyrim I didn't know what the fuck I was doing and just wandered until I ran into something to kill or, in most cases, something killed me. In Fallout 4, my first character was the mother just trying to find her kid and following every path that pointed in that direction (and eventually joining the Institute after finding out your son had grown into the leader of the Institute). You don't get that first time ever again.

Let people have their holiday unmolested. Some of us barely get enough time off as is.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
To bring it back to CyberPunk my worry is that regardless of how long the game is in development it still won't please fans and maybe even the central gameplay loop will be boring. That delaying the game isn't a guarantee its going to be good, merely that its not finished yet.
Yeah for sure. I mean at this point who the fuck knows what the hell is going on with this thing.

Although to be perfectly fair, people that have gotten their hands on the game for press demos and the like have all had positive things to say about the game. Though who knows how much they were actually allowed to say overall. No one has been negative about the game so far other than nitpicks which mileage will vary for everyone in that regard.

I will say that I think the reason people are expectionally annoyed about this particular delay is not only how close it is to release, but also their PR have said multiple times "it's done", "It's gold", "we are good to launch" etc. (see the tweets linked previously). on top of that, the game has gone gold. Which means physical discs at this point have already been produced. Packaging is done, everything about the game is set to go with the exception of the day 1 patch or whatever the fuck they're doing with it.

Personally I think that the excuse of them trying to launch the game on every platform at once is probably the actual reason for the delay. However I also think that if the game was ready on PC, PS4, and Xbone, they should have just gone ahead with the launch and offered upgrades to next gen versions a few weeks later. After all people would've likely only bought the game on whatever system they had (probably whichever next gen system they got first) at launch anyway. So either way you aren't loosing individual sales. Arguably they would only loose launch week sales because people would hold out for the next gen version. However with how frantic people have been about the game, I doubt anyone seriously would have waited.

All in all i think the excuse is valid, but also a stupid business decision. They should have pulled the trigger with only a current gen launch and offered upgrades for people in a few weeks when that edition was ready.