Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I mean, Witcher 3 wasn't perfect, but it certainly wasn't anywhere close to Cyberpunk in terms of lack of polish. I played the PC version six months after the intial release and I rarely ran into anything game breaking. Didn't notice anything worse when I played it again in 2018 after getting the expansions. But personal experiences aside, i feel if any version of W3 played that badly there would have been a fuss about it.
IDK so far I've played about 12 hours of Cyberpunk and haven't run into any gamebreaking bugs or crashes.

I ran into some animation bugs, and NPCs clipping through doors, and one time I got stuck in the hacking screen and have to reload from the last checkpoint because I couldn't get out of it, but that's about it.

It looks like stability varies wildly depending on what you're running it on.

I have a mid-tier graphics card from last gen and while the framerate isn't amazing I can get it locked to 60 fps on medium settings and the game still looks good.

For reference, I ran into about the same amount of bugs with Witcher 3 when I played the game of the year version.

I'm definitely not excusing the bugs that people are seeing, or the poor performance on console, but the issues may not be that wide spread. So far I haven't had any major ones.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
IDK so far I've played about 12 hours of Cyberpunk and haven't run into any gamebreaking bugs or crashes.

I ran into some animation bugs, and NPCs clipping through doors, and one time I got stuck in the hacking screen and have to reload from the last checkpoint because I couldn't get out of it, but that's about it.

It looks like stability varies wildly depending on what you're running it on.

I have a mid-tier graphics card from last gen and while the framerate isn't amazing I can get it locked to 60 fps on medium settings and the game still looks good.

For reference, I ran into about the same amount of bugs with Witcher 3 when I played the game of the year version.

I'm definitely not excusing the bugs that people are seeing, or the poor performance on console, but the issues may not be that wide spread. So far I haven't had any major ones.
New consoles and PCs are alright but they should have never released it on last gen consoles. The PS4 version is just objectively bad. There is really no excuse for releasing it in this state.

It really sucks that a game with such an amazing vision behind it struggles so much in it's performance. I think it would have been better to scrap the last gen version altogether and give it another year of dev time to really make it new gen exclusive. I hope it doesn't hurt CDPR in the long run b/c they are one of the few AAA game developers that are still actually creative.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Witcher 3 was never shipped in a stable state

But they did continually updated it... but I replayed it in 2020 and there were plenty of game ending bugs and quests that are broken
This. I don't blame anyone for forgetting, but Witcher 3 was kind of a mess at launch. Visual glitches, physic glitches, broken questlines, crashes, the works. Pretty much all the issues Cyberpunk is being slammed for now, were also present in Witcher 3

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Great that they can revamp employee benefits and all, but come the fuck on man. What happened to "Never pre-order"? From everything I've seen of the game, man it looks like hot garbage. People ate it up on promise alone, and it paid off for CDPR.
Seriously, why even make good games anymore when you can just promise the world and never deliver.
Because The Witcher 3 was one of the most revered games of the past generation, CDPR has an excellent track record of being pro-consumer, and this was supposed to be the next big thing. Apparently it still is in a way, but could've been a lot better with another six month delay, or perhaps just scrapping the 8th gen versions of the game completely. Now the only remedy is lots and lots of patches most likely.

New consoles and PCs are alright but they should have never released it on last gen consoles. The PS4 version is just objectively bad. There is really no excuse for releasing it in this state.

It really sucks that a game with such an amazing vision behind it struggles so much in it's performance. I think it would have been better to scrap the last gen version altogether and give it another year of dev time to really make it new gen exclusive. I hope it doesn't hurt CDPR in the long run b/c they are one of the few AAA game developers that are still actually creative.
Yup. When CDPR went public back in March 2018 it introduced a double-edge sword. They had more funding to play with but also many more expectations. With the success of The Witcher 3 and how even recently it has continued supporting them, I'd like to think they could've stayed private and still done well releasing the game on PC with current gen console ports following shortly after. It reinforces the fact that exclusive development can be a benefit.

Ouch. Not a fun way to start a new gen. If anything it will hopefully shut up all the complaints about delays, because they'd have to be preferable to a consumer over something unplayable.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ouch. Not a fun way to start a new gen. If anything it will hopefully shut up all the complaints about delays, because they'd have to be preferable to a consumer over something unplayable.
It's obvious by now the game was developed for high-end PCs and then back ported to consoles. I mean, the PC version looks night and day in terms of fidelity, traffic, NPC density etc. The game runs pretty well on PS5 but it's just the console brute forcing it's way through the PS4 version as the Digital Foundry video mentions. None of the bells and whistles of the PC version are there that make a lot of difference in the look and feel of the game. Espescially ray tracing. All of that will probably be included in the next gen update but it's still a lesser experience then it could have been. MS had an exclusivity deal with CDPR and that game has more detail on the new xbox than the game running on PS5. Though you trade 60 fps for 30.

CP2077 is an ambitious game and seven(!) year old hardware don't do it justice. Even with the bugs ironed out. This is one game that is announced too early, delayed too often and released too soon. That CDPR now has to listen to shareholders hasn't done the game any favors as you mention.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
The perks are very flavor-related, same with the cyberware you get (such as for example the implant that gives you more defense being hypodermic armor or the perk that lets you resist bleeding being a blood clotting perk, stuff like that).

As for the gun upgrades, to do them you need tons of parts from other guns, so it's like you use the parts of 10 copies of this one gun to level it up once, the sheer amount of mats kinda makes the upgrade feel worthy.
That sounds better. Going to the ripperdoc to buy cyberware that has xyz game effect feels ok. It's the idea of being 3 levels higher and therefore I now take less and deal more damage that doesn't gel with me. An implant that helps my blood clot is good. I am more experienced so my blood now magically clots more, feels off.

I suppose the gun thing maybe works a bit. One of those you broke down had a particularly well machined custom bolt, another had a very smooth trigger action... Kinda bullshit, but I'll take it.

Seriously, why even make good games anymore when you can just promise the world and never deliver.
I think the thing with CDPR is that at least on PC people think that they will eventually deliver 6 months down the line. It's not a great precedent to set but you can get away with it if your product is one everyone really wants. Preordering...yeah not generally a good idea.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This. I don't blame anyone for forgetting, but Witcher 3 was kind of a mess at launch. Visual glitches, physic glitches, broken questlines, crashes, the works. Pretty much all the issues Cyberpunk is being slammed for now, were also present in Witcher 3
I deliberately didnt buy Witcher 3 for over a month because CDProjeckt are well known for making games with so many bugs.

Also, I found Fallout 4 had way less bugs.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Im basically done with Cyberpunk right now. I cant play more than 15-20 minutes before the fucking thing crashes and im tired of trying to fight it.

Plus i dont really like fps games to begin with and thats all cyberpunk really is. The leveling system does more to make your guns better than it does to offer you any real rpg elements.

Ill play through it eventually. But not until it osnt frustrating to try and get around the stability and bugs.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I deliberately didnt buy Witcher 3 for over a month because CDProjeckt are well known for making games with so many bugs.

I played witcher 3 right after Fallout 4 came out and Fallout 4 was still more stable and had less bug than witcher 3 despite being newer (PS4 for both of them). I don't think CDproject are very good at doing console port...

Reactions: Trunkage

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's obvious by now the game was developed for high-end PCs and then back ported to consoles. I mean, the PC version looks night and day in terms of fidelity, traffic, NPC density etc. The game runs pretty well on PS5 but it's just the console brute forcing it's way through the PS4 version as the Digital Foundry video mentions. None of the bells and whistles of the PC version are there that make a lot of difference in the look and feel of the game. Espescially ray tracing. All of that will probably be included in the next gen update but it's still a lesser experience then it could have been. MS had an exclusivity deal with CDPR and that game has more detail on the new xbox than the game running on PS5. Though you trade 60 fps for 30.

CP2077 is an ambitious game and seven(!) year old hardware don't do it justice. Even with the bugs ironed out. This is one game that is announced too early, delayed too often and released too soon. That CDPR now has to listen to shareholders hasn't done the game any favors as you mention.
So wait, the PS5 version is basically like the PS4, but just looks and runs slightly better? *edit* just watched this -

Man that’s a shame. And what a joke about the MS exclusivity thing. If that’s the case they should’ve definitely just made it a PC exclusive and later ported to console like TW2.

Im basically done with Cyberpunk right now. I cant play more than 15-20 minutes before the fucking thing crashes and im tired of trying to fight it.

Plus i dont really like fps games to begin with and thats all cyberpunk really is. The leveling system does more to make your guns better than it does to offer you any real rpg elements.

Ill play through it eventually. But not until it osnt frustrating to try and get around the stability and bugs.
Didn’t see if you mentioned what you’re playing on, but sounds like maybe the 5?

Anyways,

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Yeh. All the hype, which CDprojekt has eagerly played up of course, has given lots of people the expectation they are an infallible superstar dev, when the reality is more along the lines of eurojank with really high production values.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
So wait, the PS5 version is basically like the PS4, but just looks and runs slightly better? Man if so then that’s a shame. And what a joke about the MS exclusivity thing. If that’s the case they should’ve definitely just made it a PC exclusive and later ported to console like TW2.
Afraid so. There is no PS5 version it's just the PS4 version in BC mode. You'll probably have the best experience 6 months to a year from now when the next gen update is out.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Opencritic issued a warning not to buy the last gen versions.

Oof. Truly embarrassing for CDPR. From being the most consumer friendly to this. It's like they say, trust comes on foot and leaves on horseback.

Reactions: BrawlMan