Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Wait a minute my save file is 12.59 MB. I mean I do crash, but everyone has crashed sometimes too, and some a lot.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Welcome to janky games. "Works fine for me".
Not only that, but I used the item duplication glitch. just didn't gitch any legendary weapons, I have like 200 of the legendary grenade too.

So weird.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Not only that, but I used the item duplication glitch. just didn't gitch any legendary weapons, I have like 200 of the legendary grenade too.

So weird.
Edit: But I haven't uploaded any saves to the PSN cloud...

Hmm, interesting.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Even without the bugs, performance issues and constant crashes CP2077's qualities are very superficial. My initial impression of Night City was that of an amazing hommage to 80s sci-fi and Verhoeven movies but it is indeed just that; a prop. The more you play the more you notice there is absolutely zero interactivity. The city gets so empty and lifeless at times it broke through the fourth wall; I literally became aware I was just looking at game assets. Like someone showed them to me on an editor. To be honest Metro Exodus has better production values than this game. If Metro Exodus tried to punch above it's weight and be like Fallout 4 you get CP2077. And it's not like Bethesda's games are known for their quality.

The best I can say of CP2077 is that it's a mildly enjoyable, poor man's looter shooter. The story definitely had it's moments, but for about 70% of it I was just really bored. I even skipped much of Keanu's VA b/c he just droned on and it wasn't interesting. The game has a really strong start but it just, literally, falls apart soon after. Maybe there is some interesting story content in the side quests but this is tied to exploration of which there is none in CP2077. Just empty streets and buildings.

The game is a flop and I really hope CDPR isn't going to spend years trying to 'restore' this thing. At this point I hope they kick out their investors and if they have to downsize so be it. They could always make a Witcher sequel. There is also nothing wrong with being a quality AA studio. But the current approach just hasn't been working for them. Just a disappointment on every imaginable level. It's like someone gives you a huge box of your favorite chocolates and when you open it all you find is an empty box, full of wrappers.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ghostrunner and _Observer - coincidentally, also made by polish studios, but for a fracture of Cyberpunk's money and development time. Haven't played them, but haven't heard about them being a raging dumpster fires either.

I'd also mention Shadowrun if i already havent' in this thread.
I played Observer and the story is definitely miles better than Cyberpunk. It deals with similar themes but Observer is much more serious and sober in it's presentation. It doesn't try so hard. Just a neat little game with the late Rutger Hauer. Enjoyed his role in Observer much more than Keanu in CP2077.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Eurogamer.net: GOG advises Cyberpunk 2077 players to "keep a lower amount of items" to avoid corrupting save files.

Apparently the answer is "Hey guys, carry less stuff!"

Ironically this means cyberpunk is more strict on items then demons souls. Demons Souls would over encumber you(this is bad ..like really bad unless you're okay with not being able to dodge in a game based around combat) quite easy if you weren't dropping stuff off with stockpile Thomas often. CP2077 will fuck your save file permenatly if you have too many.

If this was designed to make the game hardcore with a permadeath edge to failure, this would be one thing, but it's clearly another fuckup tossed on a pile of many, many fuckups. I think we're past trainwreck and into EPIC TRAINWRECK territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ghostrunner and _Observer - coincidentally, also made by polish studios, but for a fracture of Cyberpunk's money and development time. Haven't played them, but haven't heard about them being a raging dumpster fires either.

I'd also mention Shadowrun if i already havent' in this thread.
Ghostrunner is fun as hell. It's like Mirror's Edge meets Hotline Miami. Fast, frenetic, bloody violence, instant death upon mistake, but instant restart. It's doing ONE thing, but it's doing that one thing like a little cyberpunky champ. Music is fucking sick, synthwave goodness just pumping through your ears. You feel like a badass cyberninja when you're firing on all cylinders and shit's going well, but then you blink and have to do it again.

Highly recommend that for people who have a cyberpunk genre itch that's needs scratching. It's my personal game of the year for fun/value vs cost.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Of course one of my weapons is bugged, and can't be added to the stash, and another is in the stash but can't be showed. I know small potatoes, but CDPR needs to fix this eventually.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Edit: But I haven't uploaded any saves to the PSN cloud...

Hmm, interesting.

One article said the crashing only affects PC and Stadia versions.

Anyways this all has me thinking about how hype is a funny thing, as it kinda seems like if the game was received well ie no bug fiasco, people would have been saying it lived up to the hype more. The bad press and tainted reception seem to have poisoned the well so to speak. As in people are more inclined to pile on it negatively because it’s trending and popular in itself now.

In a way it’s turned the game into the opposite end of hype. Kinda like what happened with The Last of Us 2 but for obvious different reasons and circumstances. It’s an odd phenomenon that illustrates how quickly balance and rationality can get lost in the crossfire.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
One article said the crashing only affects PC and Stadia versions.

Anyways this all has me thinking about how hype is a funny thing, as it kinda seems like if the game was received well ie no bug fiasco, people would have been saying it lived up to the hype more. The bad press and tainted reception seem to have poisoned the well so to speak. As in people are more inclined to pile on it negatively because it’s trending and popular in itself now.

In a way it’s turned the game into the opposite end of hype. Kinda like what happened with The Last of Us 2 but for obvious different reasons and circumstances. It’s an odd phenomenon that illustrates how quickly balance and rationality can get lost in the crossfire.
And despite the obvious flaws, I actually enjoyed both The Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk, for different reasons.

A game can be good without being the second coming. The more hype a game has the more critical people will be of it when it comes out. Even if Cyberpunk had been released in a perfect state there would still be people piling on it for one reason or another. For the main story being too short, for the sidequests not giving meaningful enough rewards, etc.

I'm playing Cyberpunk right now and I had 2 quests bug out on me tonight. Frustrating to say the least, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the game at all. This is the first open world RPG in a while where the setting has really grabbed me and I'm having tons of fun.

Maybe it's because I kind of expected this game to be underwhelming, but I'm having a great time with it. I can absolutely understand why people are upset about the bugs (especially for people who keep having the game crash on them), but in most other ways the game is actually pretty dang good.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And despite the obvious flaws, I actually enjoyed both The Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk, for different reasons.

A game can be good without being the second coming. The more hype a game has the more critical people will be of it when it comes out. Even if Cyberpunk had been released in a perfect state there would still be people piling on it for one reason or another. For the main story being too short, for the sidequests not giving meaningful enough rewards, etc.

I'm playing Cyberpunk right now and I had 2 quests bug out on me tonight. Frustrating to say the least, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the game at all. This is the first open world RPG in a while where the setting has really grabbed me and I'm having tons of fun.

Maybe it's because I kind of expected this game to be underwhelming, but I'm having a great time with it. I can absolutely understand why people are upset about the bugs (especially for people who keep having the game crash on them), but in most other ways the game is actually pretty dang good.
Admittedly i probably wouldnt have enjoyed much about this game even if it wasnt a buggy mess. The time i did get to play it, which consists of the entire first act across all three starting stories, found me rather lacking.

While i dont mind a good first person rpg, im not much of a first person shooter fan and very few shooters keep my attention (boarderlands for example). And Cyberpunk is a shooter more than it is an rpg. The skills are not really designed for play style and instead just have the player choosing which gun type they want to be the best at. The hacking and crafting talents are just flat with hacking boiling down to just being able to take out one or two guys before the whole army is shooting at you. This isnt Deus Ex where there are multiple approaches, i dont think a full stealth no kill run is possible here, its always going to become a shoot em all, unless the game drastically changes post act 2.

Crafting talents add convenience but nothing more.

So its a shooter with and rpg style story. Like boarderlands. But the biggest problem with Cyberpunk is that the characters have no charisma. From the side characters to V themself, everyone is just kind of an asshole. They wanted to make Jackie your bestest friend but by the end of act 1 i still dont give a shit about him because he is just a jackass. Maybe if that montage at the begining was playable, because it clearly wants to introduce you to a ton of characters that the game expects you to care about later, then maybe it would be different but the once the real game starts you are just in it with these people and there is no real connection for the player to make.

So, yeah...it really sucks at how bummed i am about this game. Oh well.

Whats next on the overhyped list?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Far Cry games still get hype? Since when?
Since it first started. despite all the controversy over Far Cry 5 & New Dawn, they still sold fine. Despite the issues. I have no interest in any of the new Far Cry games. To me, the best one is still Instincts. The best first person Wolverine game ever made.