Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Surprise surprise it's getting good reviews. Who could have ever seen this coming?

Wait... What's this?

7/10? What the fuck Gamespot? Aren't you supposed to give all big ass hyped games 9's and 10's under contract?

Oh....oh....no....

Umm....things aren't looking good actually. That's crazy unexpected from CDPR.

I will point out though, that the Embargo allows for reviews, but we wont actually see real footage until Wednesday as the review's were only allowed to use obviously polished b-roll footage.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm torn between playing the thing I have been hyped for and waiting awhile for them to get bugs and such ironed out. The big problem is that with CDprojekt games I have a habit of playing them some and then waiting for patches or a new machine and never getting back to them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm torn between playing the thing I have been hyped for and waiting awhile for them to get bugs and such ironed out. The big problem is that with CDprojekt games I have a habit of playing them some and then waiting for patches or a new machine and never getting back to them.
The Layman review suggests that a lot of the bug problems are more than just patchable. Not saying that they couldn't fix the bugs, but it seems like a huge undertaking to get some of the issues worked out.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Layman review suggests that a lot of the bug problems are more than just patchable. Not saying that they couldn't fix the bugs, but it seems like a huge undertaking to get some of the issues worked out.
Maybe, but CDprojeck does have a habit of doing big things with their games if they need to, the original witcher got a massive overhaul patch that changed up a lot of the game. If anyone would go the mile they would.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe, but CDprojeck does have a habit of doing big things with their games if they need to, the original witcher got a massive overhaul patch that changed up a lot of the game. If anyone would go the mile they would.
That's the good news. CDPR does seem to really wanna do right by customers whenever they can. So if the game is really fucked up, I don't doubt they'll try to fix it as much as possible.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The hype was a bit out of control to be fair. These devs get praised not so much for their launch states, but their post-launch support and comparatively customer-friendly practices. The Witcher 3 was basically them having finally perfected (mostly) the accessable western medieval fantasy RPG on their 3rd try. This is a whole different genre, their first attempt at it. It's all a fairly logical outcome, just have to see what their plans are beyond this iffy launch.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Surprise surprise it's getting good reviews. Who could have ever seen this coming?

Wait... What's this?

7/10? What the fuck Gamespot? Aren't you supposed to give all big ass hyped games 9's and 10's under contract?

Oh....oh....no....

Umm....things aren't looking good actually. That's crazy unexpected from CDPR.

I will point out though, that the Embargo allows for reviews, but we wont actually see real footage until Wednesday as the review's were only allowed to use obviously polished b-roll footage.
Ummm my good dude, that last character is a known troll. He’s had pretty much nothing good to say about anything ever since I’ve heard of him.

Examples...

I mean maybe it’s his thing, dropping a steamer on everything, but bloody hell.

Anyways I haven’t read reviews yet, but wondering what systems (generation) have the lion’s share of bugs, or are they non-discriminate? Given their history, CDPR is known for releasing anything but Polish er, polished games but have always cleaned them up pretty well. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt being their most ambitious game yet.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ummm my good dude, that last character is a known troll. He’s had pretty much nothing good to say about anything ever since I’ve heard of him.

Examples...

I mean maybe it’s his thing, dropping a steamer on everything, but bloody hell.

Anyways I haven’t read reviews yet, but wondering what systems (generation) have the lion’s share of bugs, or are they non-discriminate?
I know nothing about Michael Does life. Okay a troll neat.

Layman played on their gaming PC. So he wasn't getting a lot of bugs there. Gamespot also reviewed on PC. I think that might have been where everyone got their early codes.

Also, these are outlier reviews. As much of the "official" reviews are still giving the game 8 and up easily. Though to be fair I stopped really trusting a lot of that shit, which is why I linked Layman Gaming because i've liked them for a while.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Witcher 3 needed a patch to fix walking... I remember playing it on PS4 a few months after release and a ton of stuff was still broken, like some quest were impossible to complete and other would just crash on pickup...

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
I know it's shitty of me, but part of me wants the game to sink so everyone learns, no matter the company, no matter the studio, you never ever pre-order a game. I don't care how good you expect it to be.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I know it's shitty of me, but part of me wants the game to sink so everyone learns, no matter the company, no matter the studio, you never ever pre-order a game. I don't care how good you expect it to be.
The lesson learned would probably be don't try and do something somewhat unique like this and stick with what works, cod, assassins creed, etc.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I wouldn't mind seeing it held up as an example of how crunch doesn't work. Apparently when CDPR said their employees were only doing crunch for a few weeks they were misleading the timeline by several months.
And I would love executives to be able to see working employees like mules 18 hours a day for months on end doesn't give you a better project, and actually increases the chance of bugs and glitches and the need for a 6000GB day 1 patch to fix walking.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Anything on core gameplay at all?

How the RPG works?

How the Combat works?

How the Open World works? Like is it GTA level free where I can just find a helicopter and fly all over the place. Is there country/suburbs outside the city?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Eurogamer impressions after 30 hours are that it's impressively immersive, but slow progress through the skill trees limits the amount of depth it has, and it can't quite pick a tone between profound and puerile. Also it's pretty buggy.

I'm not particularly interested in picking it up at launch anyway, partly because of CDPR's skeevy employment practices, and partly because I just recently finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong and am currently playing through the 2017 Prey game which is enough cyberpunk and immersive FPS for me for the time being.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Anything on core gameplay at all?

How the RPG works?

How the Combat works?

How the Open World works? Like is it GTA level free where I can just find a helicopter and fly all over the place. Is there country/suburbs outside the city?
Apparently the Meat and Potatoes gameplay is good. But the RPG mechanics aka the skill tree seems too big for everything to be meaningful. The open world seems strictly city based and doesn't have the full GTA freedom. Doesn't seem like there are anything beyond outskirts of the city and the city itself.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
The lesson learned would probably be don't try and do something somewhat unique like this and stick with what works, cod, assassins creed, etc.
Fine by me, indie devs are satisfying my desire for unique video game concepts plenty. The $60+ games produced by teams of 100's can continue to put out the same repetitive drab, my indie devs will be making cheaper and more unique games for me.
Ultimately I never want a game to do bad. More good games in the world is more good games for me to play. But I'd much rather people be skeptical and see one game fail than have everyone continue pre-ordering everything because it paid off once.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Fine by me, indie devs are satisfying my desire for unique video game concepts plenty. The $60+ games produced by teams of 100's can continue to put out the same repetitive drab, my indie devs will be making cheaper and more unique games for me.
Ultimately I never want a game to do bad. More good games in the world is more good games for me to play. But I'd much rather people be skeptical and see one game fail than have everyone continue pre-ordering everything because it paid off once.
The thing is, even indie games benefit from the preorder fever. Look at how many indie games are backed in kickstarter, that is arguably a worse means of preordering a game since you are putting money down on an idea that could go well or really badly and it can be really tough to get your money back from a failed kick starter. At least with pre orders you haven't really paid money yet and you will get a game.