Cyberpunk 2077 to be "Far, Far Bigger" Than The Witcher 3

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
Yay?

I know a lot of people are fixated on bigger being better, but there is such a thing as outstaying one's welcome and I for one actually like being able to finish games within six calendar months of starting them.
Yeah.

As much as I loved The Witcher 3, and I did really love it, I haven't been able to finish it, as playing a game for three weeks straight tends to make me wanna boot out out of my console regardless of quality.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Zhukov said:
Yay?

I know a lot of people are fixated on bigger being better, but there is such a thing as outstaying one's welcome and I for one actually like being able to finish games within six calendar months of starting them.
Remember that the world does not revolve around you. ;) I, for one, am highly looking forward to games that I can keep playing for months on end. I still have not gotten around to beating the Witcher III, yet, and I am loving that.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
You know, normally i would call bull***t on similar claims from a gaming studio because of course they always say it's going to be bigger and better and so on.
But CDPR allready had 2 Projects with some crazy ambitious stuff in it and it worked out great in both cases, so i'm sold.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I hope they don't overdo it. Witcher 3 is great, but it has been 46 hours and I'm still in Velen.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Honestly I'd rather they focus on gameplay, none of the witcher had me enthralled at the gameplay.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Doom972 said:
I hope they don't overdo it. Witcher 3 is great, but it has been 46 hours and I'm still in Velen.
Get used to that, the only other main gameplay area is Skellige. It's just they're both massive.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Barbas said:
This will be a very interesting one to watch.
If only it wasn't slated to release in 20-freakin'-17.

Like come on guys, announcing a game that tickles all my fancies in 2012 that's still five years away?! That's just cruel...

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Well that dinnged my excitement quite a bit. TW3 was already a bit too large and I never finished it because the gameplay got stale long before the game ended. When I got to the... viking island place (cant remember the name. Skelisomething?) and saw the quest log I had fucking finally cleared out suddenly fill up again with no signs of stopping I threw up my hands and quit on the spot and I haven't played since. If CDPR really wants to make a game that freakken huge they better actually have the gameplay diversity to back it up this time, rather than just spamming you with quests that become a chore.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
They're going to feel real stupid when 2077 comes around and their vision of the future turns out to be wrong. I bet there wont even be hoverboards in 2077.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
One one hand, I like cyberpunk, and can't wait to see what they can do.
On the other hand, the "much bigger" than a game that is already too big for me does not fill me with excitement. I know for people with a lot of time, bigger than Witcher 3 seems like a pipedream, but to me it just sounds daunting.

Aug 31, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
But from the brief shots it looks like they've done away with a lot of that aesthetic, as well as things like needing to hook up your briefcase-sized deck to a landline in order to hack. I'm wondering how much of the license is actually going to be used, and how much is just going to be painting familiar names onto unconnected corps and locations.
I dunno...those blades on femborg look like modified bigripps from interface magazine 1, the gun the cop has at the end looks like a sleekified militech crusher (which was heavily inspired by Appleseed IIRC) and I'm pretty sure there were plenty of small cellular decks in the MRB, let alone the following chromebooks. Seemed fairly spot on for my interpretation of it. Except the cased ammo.

Yeah, as you said working out the 2020/2077 thing is an odd one, Mike mentioned the end of the 4th corp war in some of his material for the game, then giving it about 55 years after...stands to reason it'd be different. No mention of V3 though, thankfully.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was my first CD Projekt Red game and I had a great time with it. Looking forward to more with the DLC coming out and I wouldn't mind to see what a cyberpunk necropolis would look like.

I just hope they don't spread themselves too thin. They didn't with the Witcher 3 in my opinion, so hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will just be a larger game given the same treatment.

Jan 12, 2012
Zykon TheLich said:
I dunno...those blades on femborg look like modified bigripps from interface magazine 1, the gun the cop has at the end looks like a sleekified militech crusher (which was heavily inspired by Appleseed IIRC) and I'm pretty sure there were plenty of small cellular decks in the MRB, let alone the following chromebooks. Seemed fairly spot on for my interpretation of it. Except the cased ammo.

Yeah, as you said working out the 2020/2077 thing is an odd one, Mike mentioned the end of the 4th corp war in some of his material for the game, then giving it about 55 years after...stands to reason it'd be different. No mention of V3 though, thankfully.
You're right about deck size: I just double checked, and the book says, "The standard cyberdeck is about the size of a paperback book, is made of plastic and weighs about a half-kilogram." (2e Core book) I guess my memory is going in my old age.

But I meant aesthetics in a more general sense. We're not going to have to use a phone number to hook the decks up to the Net, and you're not going to get the cheap anarchist thrill of avoiding long-distance charges. Similarly, there's never going to be a moment when you gather around the screamsheet box waiting for the morning edition to find out how the media corps are going to play the night's adventures.

I agree that it did look like that lady(?) had BigRipps, or some variation thereof, but it was all very smooth and sleek. It's not the case where it's big chunks of metal bolted to your flesh by some back-alley doc, where the most prominent 'ware you'll see in a night is some Solo with an ex-Soviet military arm and a tangle of wires going from his skull to his smartgun, or a pack of Kennedys beating the shit out of some leathers-and-lurid-mohawk-toting boostergang using nothing but their Wolvers. The future of 2077 is designed by Apple, and while it does look cool it also looks very... modern I guess is the best word. CPR didn't double down on the vision of Gibson and Sterling, they stepped into a very different looking future envisioned by today's artists.

Though I say on record that I will buy 5 copies of this game if it comes with an alternate graphics mode where everyone is rendered as off-brand GI Joes.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Abomination said:
My question is will Ciri make an appearance, as was hinted at in Witcher III?
Oh yeah, I forgot she mentioned visiting a futuristic sci-fi world. Well even if she is in it I doubt it will be anything more than an Easter egg.

Aug 31, 2012
But I meant aesthetics in a more general sense. We're not going to have to use a phone number to hook the decks up to the Net, and you're not going to get the cheap anarchist thrill of avoiding long-distance charges. Similarly, there's never going to be a moment when you gather around the screamsheet box waiting for the morning edition to find out how the media corps are going to play the night's adventures.

I agree that it did look like that lady(?) had BigRipps, or some variation thereof, but it was all very smooth and sleek. It's not the case where it's big chunks of metal bolted to your flesh by some back-alley doc, where the most prominent 'ware you'll see in a night is some Solo with an ex-Soviet military arm and a tangle of wires going from his skull to his smartgun, or a pack of Kennedys
beating the shit out of some leathers-and-lurid-mohawk-toting boostergang using nothing but their Wolvers. The future of 2077 is designed by Apple, and while it does look cool it also looks very... modern I guess is the best word. CPR didn't double down on the vision of Gibson and Sterling, they stepped into a very different looking future envisioned by today's artists.
Ah, you uncultured yankees, wiz your "street style". "Made in ze USA" Non? Per'aps you should viseet zee civilised lands and maybe you could afford some warez zat do not spark like ze broken toaster eh? Honhehonhehon.

Really depends how you played it, as it went on 2020 got smoother and sleeker anyway, the later chromebooks, 4th corp war stuff, eurosource2 etc. Even the 2.2 ed MRB had some fairly obvious sleeker anime influenced illustrations. That was the great thing about 2020, you could play it whatever way you wanted, it was a big ol world with enough room to play as gutter punks in the projects, high end corporate mercs, organised criminals, soldiers, cops, middle class college kids...sneering French solo elite. Whatever you wanted you could do

Jan 12, 2012
Zykon TheLich said:
Ah, you uncultured yankees, wiz your "street style". "Made in ze USA" Non? Per'aps you should viseet zee civilised lands and maybe you could afford some warez zat do not spark like ze broken toaster eh? Honhehonhehon.

Really depends how you played it, as it went on 2020 got smoother and sleeker anyway, the later chromebooks, 4th corp war stuff, eurosource2 etc. That was the great thing about 2020, you could play it whatever way you wanted, it was a big ol world with enough room to play as gutter punks in the projects, high end corporate mercs, organised criminals, soldiers, cops, middle class college kids...sneering French solo elite. Whatever you wanted you could do
Careful now: You keep a Canadian a yankee and you're going to get a fierce apology.

While some of the books did give you some smoother-looking pieces, especially in the euro supplements and work around the 4th Corporate War, they usually kept to the Cyberpunk 2020 style of big blocky weapons with too many knobs, studded leather jackets, and collars so popped you could take an eye out. I wouldn't count on a lot of flexibility, either; I'm willing to bet you start a bit above the gutter and spend most of your time working through what is approximately middle class runner status. I'd be surprised (but thrilled) if they let you rub elbows with the upper classes outside of a couple of specific missions, or if you could play stuff as varied as s true Corporate, Rockerboy, or Media, let alone a Cop. I'm willing to bet that the main character's options are going to be mostly Solo and Netrunner-themed, with maybe a bit of Techie.

InfinityCubed

Aug 22, 2012
There comes a point when a game's map is too big. Don't know whether it'll happen here, but I hope it won't.

Aug 31, 2012
Careful now: You keep a Canadian a yankee and you're going to get a fierce apology.

While some of the books did give you some smoother-looking pieces, especially in the euro supplements and work around the 4th Corporate War, they usually kept to the Cyberpunk 2020 style of big blocky weapons with too many knobs, studded leather jackets, and collars so popped you could take an eye out. I wouldn't count on a lot of flexibility, either; I'm willing to bet you start a bit above the gutter and spend most of your time working through what is approximately middle class runner status. I'd be surprised (but thrilled) if they let you rub elbows with the upper classes outside of a couple of specific missions, or if you could play stuff as varied as s true Corporate, Rockerboy, or Media, let alone a Cop. I'm willing to bet that the main character's options are going to be mostly Solo and Netrunner-themed, with maybe a bit of Techie.
Oops, my sincerest apologies.

Did you ever pick up the latter 2 chromebooks? Felt far less Gibson and far more Matrix/GITS to me. Same with PacRim, UK, even NC sourcebook to an extent. I dunno, maybe it's because I've never actually read the cyberpunk classics but I never really noticed much of the "big blocky weapons and studded leather jackets". Yeah, maybe in a few of the older Atlas games supplements but otherwise not much. Maybe it's because I was into Shirow's manga at the time, but whenever I look through the MRB, for every 80's big haired leather jacket there's something that I recognise from Appleseed or similar. Also, was far more into rap than rock at the time, I felt the Menace to Society vibe rather than Escape from LA. Eh, I dunno, give ten different people the same book and you'll get ten different interpretations.

Oh yeah, I'm not expecting that in the game, it's a CRPG, you'll never get that PnP flexibility.