D&D Classes.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
First off, obligatory "3.5 is far superior" soapbox bit, which I will spare you.

Second, I like playing Paladins and Monks, and I hate DMing Druids (and I hate Druids in general)

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
I haven't played enough campaigns to know what my favorite class is, but I certainly know what the most annoying class for a DM in 4e is, though- since I played it and got no end of raging from my DM:
Shaman
Seriously, the number of feats and abilities you can take or get for a shaman and their ghost pal to debilitate your enemies (damage, lots of status effects, and space blocking) and the fact that it is an instant set of eyes anywhere visible within 20 squares make it, in capable or insidious hands, a DM's worst enemy.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
For some reason when i saw the title of this post I thought it was going to be about someone offering to teach people how to play Dungeons and Dragons. You know? D&D Class, 3rd period 11:00AM to 12:00PM. :)

Anyway, I like the fighter/warrior/tank classes in all games I play.

coblen

Nov 18, 2009
I have a bad talent of making everything seem overpowered in 3.5. I don't purposefully powergame.
I do it accidentally.

Then I became a DM and I made sure to never let some things com back in future games again.

I'm looking at you dread necromancer. You disgusting overpowered thing. You inhuman travesty. Who thought you were fair, ever.

1-7 worthless trash bin

8 almost infinity powerful.

Necromancer clerics can get pretty stupid strong. But Dread necromancer took it to a whole new level.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Playing Rogues and Warlords are good times.
Wizards can be neat too.

As A DM I hate dealing with Rogues.

I normally play as an Eladrin

Slowpool

Jan 19, 2011
I enjoy sorcerers, thematically, even though the 3rd ed and 3.5 rules deliberately try to make them inferior to wizards. Honestly, what the fuck, WotC?

If the game starts at higher levels, I could play just about anything- barbarian/fighter, force magic sorcerer, singleclass druid and arcane monk are my favorites.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
I played warlock for 6 years in wow, now I play warlock in dnd. Problem with warlock in 4e is that it requires a lot of power gaming compared to other classes to even compete.

Slowpool

Jan 19, 2011
Versuvius said:
The amount of 4ed makes me sad, especially since said people haven't played 3.5 to compare its gutted, souless, corporate cashin shittiness to.
Harsh. But true, I find.

Dragonborn? Really?

Captcha: companion rguick

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Lawfully Evil Paladin.

A.K.A: The Paladin of Tyranny!
I may create water for the group, but if you dont serve my purposes, you may learn its cursed...

And while i may cure your light wounds, youd better be useful, or i'll Inflict Moderate ones.

And you'll never truly know my motives, for i can cast Undetectable Alignment on my cursed gear. That water you had an hour ago was really fresh wasnt it? Your lucky to have such a nice paladin in your group :)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Amondren said:
Hey all recently I've been flipping through the Player's Handbook's of 4th Edition D&D and I've been wondering two things. For one what is the general escapists favorite class to play. Secondly what is the Escapists least favorite class to DM (If you DM).Doesnt matter what edition just matter's why. So whats your favored class.

I like playing as a Wizard because I like the idea of controlling the battle field from behind the scenes in the middle of the group being protected. I dislike DMing Battleminds (4E) just cause I feel that they can be too powerful as strikers.
I play 3.5
My favorite class is probably mystic theurg, or ranger. I don't have a least favorite to DM for.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
nikki191 said:
cant tell you about 4th endition but i always liked the monk from 1st edition
Nice... I'm a 2nd edition man myself. I inevitably play a thief. I am just drawn to skill based characters. Never had to endure a dungeon crawl campaign as I always had good DMs. Still I played more MERPS, TMNT, and Paranoia than AD&D.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
CM156 said:
maxmanrules said:
Warlocks! Infernal powers and hellish pacts! Shooting purple lances of eldritch death!
And often time, selling your soul to the forces of the lower planes

I really don't like 3.5 Warlocks. They just never sat right with me. Then again, in real life, I detest the Occult, so that might have something to do with it.

OT: I like Monks due to how overpowered they can get in 3.5
Woo Baalor!
I liked Warlocks in 3.5 cause they had the whole bad-ass fiend thing going on
"I have all the powers of Hell at my disposal. Who are you to question me?"
Their eldritch blast goes up 1d6 a level as well, and they could walk on ceilings quite early on, in the first couple of levels. Got the whole bad-ass fiend thing going for 'em

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I like to play anything based around arcane. Wizards, warlocks, sorcerer etc. I just find them more fun to play in encounters and in role-playing.
Fighter - "I hit the enemy with my sword"
Wizard - "I summon the elemental forces I command, Fiery orbs rain down from above, shrieking loudly as they fall. They smash into the enemy, obliterating them in a storm of fire and scorching the ground."

Versuvius said:
The amount of 4ed makes me sad, especially since said people haven't played 3.5 to compare its gutted, souless, corporate cashin shittiness to.
I've played both and prefer 4e. But we shouldn't turn this person's thread into a debate about which is better.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Warlord.
I like to aid other party members beyond simple healing, and be able to push in and aid on the frontlines.

In 3.5 I was a fighter, but at higher levels quickly felt largely unnecessary.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
CM156 said:
zHellas said:
CM156 said:
OT: I like Monks due to how overpowered they can get in 3.5
Yeah... After level 20, you're able to speak to any living thing, not age, immune to poison, and can totally be able to smash a boulder with your flaccid dick if you so felt like it.
Let's not forget the fact that they their fists count as magical, law-aligned, and Adamantine weapons. They get 10+Class Level spell resistance, and they can go ethereal for several rounds.
Oh, and the are immune to diseases as well as poison
Not sure if sarcasm. Anyway.

Monk issues:
Poor BAB, no way to improve it
Poor AC, even Wizards can get more protection than Monks for less investment
Poor HD, between this, the BAB, and the AC they can't effectively be on the front lines
MAD, they need Str, Wis, Con, Dex(Clerics can use 4 attributes but can get by as SAD as a Wiz)
Poor skill points(only 2 more than the Cleric) meaning they can't skillmonkey
Lots of abilities focused on movement(speed boosts, tumble, dim door) and a primary attack focused on standing still
No worthwhile weapon proficiencies(at low levels their base weapon damage is nil and at high levels it doesn't matter
A lot of abilities that duplicate low-level spells that they get at very high levels
Abilities focused on surviving alone, which is useless in a party

and finally linky to a handy post: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3871542

but to not derail this thread if it's not sarcasm I'm up for further debate in PMs.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
I absolutely adore the Warlord class. LOVE it. In 3rd ed, I love the Knight, and the Cavalier.
Currently running a 4th ed Cleric, which is alot of fun as well. ( Guess I love the leader roles.)

Mar 30, 2010
I know not of this 4th Ed of which you speak...

As far as 3.5 goes my favourite class has to be WarMage. Shadowbane Inquisitors are pretty fun to play too, but it's a ballache setting a character up to be one, as you must already be a multiclassed cleric/rogue before you can even consider becoming an inquisitor, and I'm not a fan of juggling three different class levels at the same time.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
I love playing a monk. I prefer to roleplay rogues however. Monks are probably my least favourite to DM for the same reasons I like to play them. Rock hard!

Balmong7

Apr 9, 2010
Spadge said:
Balmong7 said:
I dislike DM-ing for anyone with stealth abilities. They breeze by all my fights. Someone please tell me what to do!

The guy who is a rogue in my group gets to re roll anytime someone sees him. oh and his modifier for rolls is 18
Edition? Level? Other characters?
Almost all problems like this are either a mis-interpretation of a rule, or a character getting access to equipment far above their level. More info, and I'll see if I can help.

OT: Rogue or Cleric (3.5e). Access to lots of skills as rogue, or a huge variety of spells as cleric (once you hit mid levels). I find it far more fun than a straight tank or damage dealing mage.

As for DMing, I've been running games for a long time now, few classes bother me. I tend to just change encounters around to suit the party; I probably find it more frustrating when I overestimate the party strength and TPK them.
I am using 4e, and the rogue is at level 11. I almost think it must be a misinterpretation of a rule because the kid who is playing an assassin in the same campaign is doing the same thing now.