D-D-D-Danger! Watch Behind You

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
D-D-D-Danger! Watch Behind You

When complex academia meets ducks, what results? Greed, fear, and ludonarrative dissonance in DuckTales.

Read Full Article

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
wow. a really great article. very well written.

but holy shit you think too much about a game!

<font size=2>holy shit.... thats a really strange combination of words.
a shit that is holy...

Jan 12, 2012
Somebody spilled Cracked on my Escapist!

This article is wonderful and that scond-last paragraph is beautifully put, but I would also like to curse you, Robert Rath; I have a lot of filing to do today, and I'm going to be humming that theme song for the next several hours.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
Wow, I've never thought of Ducktales in this way before. You have opened my eyes to see the true darkness in the soul of this nefarious duck.

Deminobody

Nov 18, 2009
I like satire.

I love well executed satire!

I love well executed satire on the internet that openly admits to being satire because it cuts down on the amount of comments from people who missed the intent to satirize. You managed to do this last part in an engaging fashion as well!

So yeah, all my kudos!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I guess that it was the harmful influence from all those Donald Duck comics I had as a child that turned me into the exploitative, greedy fascist that I am today.

Aw, phooey!

(EDIT: Pretending to miss the point for comic effect, did not actually miss the point. Please, remain in your trousers, ladies and gentlemen)

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
This is a masterpiece! Whatever rewards you can get for making this beautiful piece of work you should get Rath!

Well done! ;D

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
This article leaves out when his nephews were in a mining cart that fell into the abyss so that our hero could continue to plunder South America.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Ah, Mr. Cath, nicely played. I did feel it was a bit too much by the end, but those two paragraphs left me assured that you haven't gotten the crazy that sometimes afflicts other contributors on this site. Stay classy.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Robert Rath said:
D-D-D-Danger Watch Behind You
....and now I've got the Ducktales theme tune stuck in my head. Possibly forevermore. Damn you!!!

I fear for what became of Huey, Dewie and Louis with role models like Scrooge (a greedy, selfish git) and Donald (frequently short tempered, aggressive and violent)... Those pool lil ducklings!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
IckleMissMayhem said:
Robert Rath said:
D-D-D-Danger Watch Behind You
....and now I've got the Ducktales theme tune stuck in my head. Possibly forevermore. Damn you!!!

I fear for what became of Huey, Dewie and Louis with role models like Scrooge (a greedy, selfish git) and Donald (frequently short tempered, aggressive and violent)... Those pool lil ducklings!
Not to worry, if the comics are any indication, they're doing fine, despite their uncles. I'd say it's mainly thanks to them that neither Scrooge or Donald have thrown themselves off Duckburg Bridge yet.

Well, unless they'd end up with a murder-suicide scenario of some description.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5QDmxgQjbAJmHtz2GCl79ziXH8eK-Q2t_ehtp0XGdntwIXdwyqQ

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
With all due respect, I must disagree with your analysis, Mr. Rath. You've neglected to consider the placement of certain key elements, such as the Incan Sentinel or King Slime. These figures of the story only ever come near the climax of a chapter, the end point. In this way, they clearly demonstrate the notion of the "Great Man" hypothesis of history; this, of course, is a concept neatly mirrored in Scrooge himself. And how do these stories always end? In violence. Far from the Great Men of History coming together to shape it, they squabble over the boundaries of their greatness.

Far from Greek Tragedy, the story is closer to political satire, an argument that any man who would seek to ascend will surely come into conflict with those who do likewise; it suggests distrust of authority and hatred of the privileged. It's closer to an endorsement of anarchy. (Indeed, the existence of a 'bad ending' gained by collecting no money defeats the suggestion of Greek tragedy, with that form's implication of fate. This is about the economic jungle, and the invisible hand being red in tooth and claw.)

(I am so sorry for the mixed metaphor at the end there and any images produced thereby.)

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
That was amazing. Inspiring, even - now I can't stop thinking about all my other games and how dissonant they are or aren't. It's become stuck in my head even more firmly than the song.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
I have to disagree. If I remember the show right, the boys were always out there trying to adventure on their own, putting themselves in danger and often rescued by their uncles or Scrooge's paid servants.

Also, Scrooge McDuck was a self made man, and he busts his ass in the game for his money. If only I could live in a world with more Scrooge McDucks, where everyone was so determined to make their own way.

I even remember an episode where Scrooge encounters the witches from MacBeth, and proves to them all that in all of his dealings, he never cheated or even lied. Truly, he's a role model for us all.

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Ohh Robert, I didn't know that you used to work at Cracked.

In all seriousness though, that was one amazing piece of satire...if it was satire at all. But in all honesty, this felt a bit dark and too philosophical about a duck that is so rich, that he has enough money to chuck most of it into a money bin. Sometimes its not good for ones own mind to think too deeply about silly stuff, otherwise one might plunge oneself into madness.

Or that is just my take on it. Either way, keep on writing good articles Robert.

captcha: Inside out. Whoa...far out man. *Eats a...peculiar puffin*

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Rituro said:
This. Is. Brilliant.
Yes it was... from a certain perspective... just not the one I was standing at[footnote]I have very fond memories of this show, and those memories prevent me from enjoying this piece as the satire it was meant to be...[/footnote]...