D.I.C.E. 2013: J.J. Abrams and Gabe Newell Tease Portal Movie

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
MacNille said:
Enough with the fucking lens joke! They are not funny at all! I have heard enough about those damn lens flare since 200 and fucking 9! And to those who say that he has not done anything of notice, check out his resume: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/ He has made a lot of stuff. Both in TV and film. I think that he is a good chooise for Portal, as the art style would fit him.
Since two hundred and nine? You should get to a scientist so we can learn the secrets of your longevity!

On to the topic. Please, please, please let this be Gabe trolling again. Valve is better than this and even though Portal is incredibly popular, game movies aren't. Although if Abrams makes the film at least we won't actually be able to see anything.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Portal should be a cgi movie, i think it would work better with the humour....i may be wrong. Half life film would suck, the setting and atmosphere would be awesome but the aliens (head crabs) are to hilarious to put on team, what they gonna do? Order 50 turkeys, stick them on stuntmans head and send them to the movie set. lol

JJ is only on this because of Star Wars, if he makes that movie early then these movies may happen. But i doubt they will, not by him anyway. Neil Blomkapm (District 9) would be far better director for Halflife. An Valve could make there own CGI movie for portal....they make cgi cutscences etc in their games so should just invest in that.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Star Trek, Star Wars, and now Portal!? For heaven's sake, stop giving all our beloved franchises over to this one guy!

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
What is driving this man to spearhead so much of Nerd Culture's sacred cows? Why him? I mean he's a competent film maker and all, but i just don't see the passion i would from other directors given the subject matter. Enough is Enough though, Why does he get the keys to three of our most beloved franchises?

Let someone else do the job JJ, let someone else do it, please.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
uchytjes said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
A:JJ is incapable of transferring any feelings into any of his movies, even Super 8, where the opportunity to prove himself as a director was glaring right before him, and Half-life isn't so old that it needs modernization; the story has a unique vibe to it that when removed, would make the story rather bland and uninteresting, leaving only the unique gameplay, and as we all know, gameplay is the hardest thing to transfer onto cinema.

B:THAT could work, but again, you'd need to keep consistent with the theme, otherwise it's a spinoff, and the only "good" vg-movies that worked with that kind of approach were the Resident Evil movies, but they work because of their slightly schlocky/bad movie feel.

To quote Yahtzee:

"A game(in this case movie, but I believe that it still applies) that fails due to over-ambition is still better than a game that fails because its beep-boop committee designed sludge coughed out by a corporation staffed by robots(in this case J.J. Abrams)"
To counter your points:

A: Wasn't Super 8 a nostalgic tribute to old Speilberg movies like E.T.? (I never watched it, so I'm going off of what I remember from Movie Bob's review) So wouldn't it be pretty likely that because of his feelings from the past he fumbled while trying to emulate it? I don't know, I could be wrong about that.

B: Well, if either of these movies (portal or half-life) were to be made, they would most CERTAINLY need to focus on something that barely touches the original story of the games. For portal I would like to see an Sci-fi action movie about Aperture's collapse at the hands of GlaDOS. For half-life, however, I don't know of any approach they could make.

Either way, the movies should NOT be about anything having to do with the main stories of either game. The best videogame movies always seem to be far removed from any plot in the games.

Also, on a tangentially related topic: What if the portal movie was an interactive puzzle where the entire audience had to cooperate to finish each puzzle? That would be an interesting experiment.
It would be, but it would also be unprofitable and unlikely.

Also trolololing will be too easy for trolls.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
RyQ_TMC said:
That means either a movie based on a puzzle game with subtle cues for player to piece the story together, or a very definitely non-silent Gordon Freeman.

You know they would write him to throw one-liners at a rate of five every minute.

You know they would.
That could actually be pretty awesome, especially if they got the guy who made THESE to write Gordon's dialog:

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Requisite "make HL3 before blah blah next project" comment. God, it's sad, I want it to happen, but even I am tired of beating this dead horse...

Morbira

Nov 28, 2009
Sixcess said:
Encaen said:
"It's under the player's control how much of this world they're going to explore,"
Player control? In a Valve game? Since when?

As much as I admire Valve's work it has to be said they design some of the most linear games around. I don't think I've ever felt free to explore in anything by Valve.
Free to explore vast swaths of terrain? No.
Free to explore through all of the hidden details that tell the stories and backgrounds of the events and settings you're being lead through? Oh hell yes.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Star Trek, Star Wars and Portal?

Come on US government bust this trust on science fiction!

Break J.J. Abrams' knee caps!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Raidenko said:
Well,will you look at that J.J. Abrams is trying to top Michael Bay at the childhood rape discipline in movie making. He is shaping up to be the Electronic Arts of movie makers or something. I'm going to be legit scared if he gets control over making a Neon Genesis Evangelion movie.
A rip-off of Evangelion is already coming out. It's with giant fighting robots and giant monster alien things from other dimensions that emerge from the sea~! :D

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
Isn't Guillermo del Toro doing the portal movie?

Oh, wait, that's just a grown up version of power rangers.

But still awesome.

OT
No worries. It won't happen. It couldn't... It shouldn't...

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
Portal should be a cgi movie, i think it would work better with the humour....i may be wrong. Half life film would suck, the setting and atmosphere would be awesome but the aliens (head crabs) are to hilarious to put on team, what they gonna do? Order 50 turkeys, stick them on stuntmans head and send them to the movie set. lol

JJ is only on this because of Star Wars, if he makes that movie early then these movies may happen. But i doubt they will, not by him anyway. Neil Blomkapm (District 9) would be far better director for Halflife. An Valve could make there own CGI movie for portal....they make cgi cutscences etc in their games so should just invest in that.
This. Neither JJ nor Whedon. There are more directors out there that are more than compentent, you know? Neil Blomkamp did a magnificent job with District 9. Or Mathew Vaughn. Spread the love around, why the freaking monopoly?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I think J.J. Abrams could do a great job with an Opposing Force adaptation, or something similar. Just really hoping that it's not a Gordon Freeman/Chell/Glados thing. That would not be fun.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh good god; every piece of science fiction ever will now be undestinguishable beneath a blinding lens flare filter. Oh the horror!

shiajun said:
This. Neither JJ nor Whedon. There are more directors out there that are more than compentent, you know? Neil Blomkamp did a magnificent job with District 9. Or Mathew Vaughn. Spread the love around, why the freaking monopoly?
I would love to see Neil Blomkamp direct a Half Life 2 movie.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Finally, a video game movie that'll be more than bad, or just average, but actually good. If, of course, it happens.