Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

The Last Parade

Apr 24, 2009
mad825 said:
Eh, I would've done a similar thing. I would clout a few arrow/bolts into it and I'll be more indiscriminate by using broad-tips. Even if I didn't have a bow/crossbow, I would've used a sledgehammer or similar hitting tool.

I honestly don't see your point and comes across as zealous. He got angry and used his method to destroy the object like anybody would have.
when I get angry I ..... vent, people who damage things because they're angry are primitives

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
The Last Parade said:
when I get angry I ..... vent, people who damage things because they're angry are primitives
I really do think you get pretentious high horse comment of the month for this one.
Calling a man who you don't know a primitive over a short video, that's pretty presumptuous.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
The Last Parade said:
mad825 said:
Eh, I would've done a similar thing. I would clout a few arrow/bolts into it and I'll be more indiscriminate by using broad-tips. Even if I didn't have a bow/crossbow, I would've used a sledgehammer or similar hitting tool.

I honestly don't see your point and comes across as zealous. He got angry and used his method to destroy the object like anybody would have.
Yes because venting teaches such a big lesson to the child. Venting is all nice and well but ultimately the purpose of the destruction of the laptop wasn't venting , it was teaching a lesson.

Knocker

Aug 4, 2010
Then you are part of the Gen-X problem, not the solution that raised the rest of us.

Knocker

Aug 4, 2010
Then you are part of the Gen-X problem, not the solution that raised the rest of us.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
axlryder said:
more far-reaching, baseless conjecture that makes you look like an uninformed individual who thinks that merely being able to come up with a convoluted explanation for something somehow makes you sound credible. Watch any of his other videos. THE MAN HAS A STUTTER and speaks in the exact same manner in those videos as he does here. You're only further cementing your bias with this absolutely ridiculous attempt at sounding like you know what you're talking about.
Alright, he has a stutter. And yes, I am biased, because he OPENED FIRE ON HIS DAUGHTER'S LAPTOP and has clearly got rage issues. Not only are you going out of your way to defend him just to spite an offhand generalization, you're avoiding my point entirely. And my point isn't that he's got a stutter, or that he's from the South, or that he's white or Christian or Republican, it's that he OPENED FIRE ON HIS DAUGHTER'S LAPTOP.

It's like if we were driving a Ford, and the engine of our car suddenly exploded. We crawl out of the wreck, and I make some offhanded remark about how shit Ford cars are. And you just tear into me, calling me out for making a generalization about Ford and dancing around what I can clearly see is this urge to call me a fucking idiot, and yet the ENGINE. STILL. EXPLODED.

You're opinion is invalidated because whether he's stuttering out of rage or just nerves, he still OPENED FIRE ON HIS DAUGHTER'S LAPTOP.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
SnakeoilSage said:
axlryder said:
more far-reaching, baseless conjecture that makes you look like an uninformed individual who thinks that merely being able to come up with a convoluted explanation for something somehow makes you sound credible. Watch any of his other videos. THE MAN HAS A STUTTER and speaks in the exact same manner in those videos as he does here. You're only further cementing your bias with this absolutely ridiculous attempt at sounding like you know what you're talking about.
Alright, he has a stutter. And yes, I am biased, because he OPENED FIRE ON HIS DAUGHTER'S LAPTOP and has clearly got rage issues. Not only are you going out of your way to defend him just to spite an offhand generalization, you're avoiding my point entirely. And my point isn't that he's got a stutter, or that he's from the South, or that he's white or Christian or Republican, it's that he OPENED FIRE ON HIS DAUGHTER'S LAPTOP.

It's like if we were driving a Ford, and the engine of our car suddenly exploded. We crawl out of the wreck, and I make some offhanded remark about how shit Ford cars are. And you just tear into me, calling me out for making a generalization about Ford and dancing around what I can clearly see is this urge to call me a fucking idiot, and yet the ENGINE. STILL. EXPLODED.

You're opinion is invalidated because whether he's stuttering out of rage or just nerves, he still OPENED FIRE ON HIS DAUGHTER'S LAPTOP.
what I was doing was doing is calling you out on attempting to draw parallels between a man who uses questionable parenting tactics and people who brutally kill mass numbers of people and feel they are doing god's work in doing so. I was also calling you out on attempting to admit a man's speech impediment as evidence against his character. You're not just insulting Tommy here, you're insulting people with speech impediments (as Tommy's speech patterns here strongly reflect the speech patterns of the 4 or so stutterers I've met), basically implying they all sound like raving terrorists.

What I find hilarious is that you use a bad analogy to try and defend your bad analogy and then say my opinion is somehow "invalidated".

If you had merely said "shooting his daughters laptop was childish and wasteful" I wouldn't have cared, since that's a fair assessment of his actions.

Also, no, I don't want to call you a fucking idiot because I don't think you're a fucking idiot. I'm sure you're a fine dude of reasonable intelligence. I just found your statement to be offensive and I don't think you fully understood where I was coming from. I think you might be a little bull headed but I don't consider that a trait worth admonishing (not exclusively because I can be the same way).

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
axlryder said:
what I was doing was doing is calling you out on attempting to draw parallels between a man who uses questionable parenting tactics and people who brutally kill mass numbers of people and feel they are doing god's work in doing so. I was also calling you out on attempting to admit a man's speech impediment as evidence against his character. You're not just insulting Tommy here, you're insulting people with speech impediments (as Tommy's speech patterns strongly reflect the 4 or so stutterers I've met), basically saying they all sound like raving terrorists.

What I find hilarious is that you use a bad analogy to try and defend your bad analogy.
Why, did a Ford save your life once?

You want to know why I chose to compare this guy with a religious extremist? Because a lot of the things he said are an echo of a case that recently happened up here in Canada. <link=http://ca.news.yahoo.com/shafia-jury-enters-second-full-day-deliberations-kingston-090532874.html>All 3 guilty in Shafia murder trial; judge condemns twisted concept of honour.

A father - along with his wife and son - murder his four daughters because he thought they were disrespecting him and the family. Draw your own parallels.

If you don't like that I think his stutter stems from some underlying rage issue, fine, that's your opinion, but the fact that he's willing to discharge a handgun in an act of "tough love" only validates my point, stutter or not.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
SnakeoilSage said:
axlryder said:
what I was doing was doing is calling you out on attempting to draw parallels between a man who uses questionable parenting tactics and people who brutally kill mass numbers of people and feel they are doing god's work in doing so. I was also calling you out on attempting to admit a man's speech impediment as evidence against his character. You're not just insulting Tommy here, you're insulting people with speech impediments (as Tommy's speech patterns strongly reflect the 4 or so stutterers I've met), basically saying they all sound like raving terrorists.

What I find hilarious is that you use a bad analogy to try and defend your bad analogy.
Why, did a Ford save your life once?

You want to know why I chose to compare this guy with a religious extremist? Because a lot of the things he said are an echo of a case that recently happened up here in Canada. <link=http://ca.news.yahoo.com/shafia-jury-enters-second-full-day-deliberations-kingston-090532874.html>All 3 guilty in Shafia murder trial; judge condemns twisted concept of honour.

A father - along with his wife and son - murder his four daughters because he thought they were disrespecting him and the family. Draw your own parallels.

If you don't like that I think his stutter stems from some underlying rage issue, fine, that's your opinion, but the fact that he's willing to discharge a handgun in an act of "tough love" only validates my point, stutter or not.

oh, so something has to save your life for you to be offended when someone unfairly compares it to a terrorist group? What kind of twisted logic is that?

First, you never acknowledged the obvious and insulting parallel you (seemingly unconsciously) drew between those with a stutter and raving terrorists

secondly, you also never acknowledge the Ford analogy was a terrible one. It'd be more accurate if you had said "damn Chevys" and I was like "bro, this isn't a Chevy". It'd be even more accurate if Chevys killed hundreds of people when their "engines exploded" and the car we were driving calmly destroys a single laptop. At that point, I think it'd be an obvious difference worth pointing out. Even with those amendments it's still a bad analogy (which is why I generally hate analogies in debates, they usually are terrible or unequivocal in some way).

thirdly, you seem to be taking a completely separate incident that MIGHT have SOME similarities to the Facebook video (potential similarities I'm not even speculating on) and then somehow acting as though that allows you to draw parallels to something totally unrelated. That's not how logic works. Just because thing (A) has similarities to thing (B) and thing (B) has similarities to thing (C) it doesn't mean you can suddenly say thing (A) is JUST like thing (C) to the point of feigning belief that they're one in the same (your first post). I'm not even going to go into whether or not your news story actually is a good comparison because it's not relevant to your terrorist analogy which is what I initially found offense with. I'm not going to let this splinter off into a separate debate or allow you to shift the focus of the argument. Now if this is your way of admitting that the terrorist analogy was a bad one, fine, we're done here.

fourthly, if you're honestly trying to speculate what his stutter stems from, you are being ignorant. You can't possibly know the multitude of variables present in this man's life from his birth to where he is now. To presume such a thing based on his actions in a single video is wrong. It's wrong from a logical perspective and from a moral perspective.

You've done nothing to validate your initial comparison between Tommy Jordan and a terrorist. Again, to make such a comparison is poorly thought out at best. It's much better to just point out exactly what you think is wrong with what happened instead of relying on unwisely drawn comparisons between one issue and another issue that is indefensibly worse.

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
Stalydan said:
but he doesn't just sit her down and say "I told you what would happen if I found you posting something like this one Facebook again",
He did tell her what would happen if she did it again and he follows through, if you listen to the video he says "Last time this happened I told you i'd put a bullet through your laptop." He just proved to his stuck up ***** of a daughter that he does not make idle threats.

Anyways, Kudos to the parent for making it public and following through with what he said he was going to do.

I have to blame him for her being a ***** in the first place though. She sounds like a spoiled **** that should have been doing what was asked of her. She's got a maid (he calls it a house keeper in the video) for fuck's sake. She rarely has to do anything for herself from the way it sounds.

For everyone here saying that he violated her privacy, you are delusional or probably young and demand privacy. Children should be grateful for any shred privacy given to them by parents. They should see it as heightened trust and never break that trust. They have no legal or moral right to privacy, period. She's under 18. She is his responsibility and he has every right to keep tabs on her. She's a child, not an adult.

Kashrlyyk said:
Then they wouldn't be rights, they're be privileges, and that means it's a hell of a lot easier for the government to suppress people. This is the exact opposite of what James Madison wanted.
The second amendment was written at a time when 6 bullets per MINUTE was a fast shooter! I am convinced that it would have never been added if at that time modern weapons were around.
Well, you are wrong. It was written to give the people a means to defend itself from a tyrannical government if ever needed. Government should fear the people, not the other way around.

alandavidson said:
Fun fact to any parent wanting to do this to their kid's laptop:

Once you give someone something, it's that person's property. Even if you're a parent giving your kid something. The argument "I paid for it, so I can do whatever I want with it" doesn't actually hold water.

What we just witnessed was a guy filming himself stealing and destroying someone else's property - a felony offence.

Parents, please discipline your kids, but don't be idiots about it.
You are wrong. In the United States, unless she is married or has given birth to a child, the parent or legal guardian assumes all responsibility for the child until they turn 18, therefore whatever the child has is the property of the parent until that age. Take a car for example. The care must be in the Mother or father's name until the child turns 18. The child can be a Co-owner, but does not actually own ANY property until they turn 18. On that same had, whatever the child does with the laptop/car/property also falls on the parents shoulders. Therefore, he was shooting HIS laptop he allowed his daughter to use.

Spartan448 said:
This is exactly why I hate people from his generation. They're ignorant, sleazy, good-for-nothing, and are willing to go to any extreme to keep their children in slave labor without even an allowance for as long as possible legally. He shouldn't be forcing his kid to make coffee for him, and he shouldn't not be paying her for the chores she does. He should be prioritizing her schoolwork over chores or yardwork that he wants done, should be prioritizing her future over his wants. But no. I'll bet he does that purposely so that she won't HAVE a future to leave to, and so that he can keep her working into her adulthood. And then, this shouldn't even be something she was punished for. This is AMERICA, goddamnit! WE HAVE RIGHTS HERE. KIDS ARE ALLOWED TO TALK LIKE THAT ABOUT ANYONE THEY WANT. THAT'S WHY WE HAVE THE GODFORSAKEN FIRST AMMENDMENT! A lot of Americans (And I'm sure this fat-ass is included) say that the Government is often trying to take away their rights to religion, free speech, ect. And then things like this happen that make them the biggest hippocrytes in the world. Severe punishment for saying words is not free speech.
Again kids have no rights in the United States until they turn 18, get married, or get knocked up. Asking a child to do housework is perfectly acceptable and teaches them how to do things for themselves.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Midgeamoo said:
Ok, so I've kind of found here that this thread, with its 548 replies, is getting pretty ridiculous and pointless now. None of the arguments made for the father or for the girl even matter and have no basis, so lets all go together to the mystical world of logic land, and all find out why together shall we?

The video is 8 minutes long. In it all that we see or hear from this man, is that he is a father of a teenage girl, who has bitched about him behind his back on facebook, after spending money on her laptop for her. He then expresses his frustration with this, and shoots a laptop with a pistol.

Now, I think we should all know here, that relationships between parents and children on average tend to go on for a bit longer than 8 minutes. A lot of events and complications will happen throughout their lives and their relationship, they will feel differently about each other as time goes on, and certain themes will tend to emerge and dissipate as the child begins to grow up, and the parents will react to these themes and phases with the best interest of the child in mind (hopefully). This is a very complex cycle of emotions and conversations and living with each other, that in no way can any of us here comment on having seen the father shoot her laptop on a particular day (even if you do find it immature, angry or funny).

And that's the kicker. Any argument or statement for or against either party on this thread is based on extrapolation, do you see? Everybody watching that video is looking into an 8 minute window of this family's life and circumstances, some people here are assuming, based on this brief 'encounter' with the father here, that he is a gun toting redneck with no parental skills at all, and that he probably has a history of erratic behavior or violence, and that the events preceding this video consisted of bad parenting, him neglecting his daughter and making her work for nothing, and that the events proceeding the video will consist of harsh punishment, more neglecting his daughter and making her life miserable. Others are assuming that the girl is an ungrateful, spoiled brat who had it coming to her, and that the events preceding this video consisted of her constantly moaning at her father, talking about him behind his back and being lazy and not doing her chores, and that the events proceeding the video consisted of her being righteously punished, and her father having her find the values of honest work and independence.

We do not, nor will we ever know, that any of these things are true. Everybody here is guessing from this tiny, insignificant gesture, the true nature of this family's life. Some may be doing it because they have experienced similar spats with their parents, and empathize with the girl, some may be doing it because they dislike people showing disrespect. Either way, you see what you want to see with this video, you are making up your own timeline of this family's history and future either side of this 8 minute video. Some people are trying to psychologically analyse this guy from the way he behaves in front of a camera for a few minutes, some are trying to scrutinize the facebook posts, and I honestly have no clue why, this is none of your business, I'm sure you wouldn't like the rest of the world judging your family issues. These are all pointless gestures anyway, nobody wins from this thread, there's nothing to be debated because we know nothing else of this family, we won't know who 'wins' in the end, but we will know that a lot of people will lose their time when they could at least be discussing something more worthwhile and interesting on this forums, if not just taking a break from them all together (seriously, the level of 'heated discussion' here is getting ridiculous for such a trivial topic, sometimes some people need to take a look at what they're getting so wound up about).

Now I think I'm being too optimistic of the escapist community here when I say this, but it's worth a try:
/thread
Erm, not seeing how any of that means I can't judge what an appropriate reaction to what she said is. Don't really care how inaccurate it is, it was a rant to her friends. That's not really worthy of any particular reaction in my mind.

I can also judge whether it is fair to make someone else pay for something you decided to ruin. She didn't ruin the laptop, didn't ruin the $130 of work, use those bullets. That's just petty to make her pay for them. I can see those things regardless of the further details.
You were just told that judging a guy based on an 8 minute YouTube video was ridiculous, so you go back to judging the man based on that same video?
So, instead of addressing the points I made you're going to whine that I can't judge these things based on... nothing? I pointed out what I could judge. Tell me directly how each case is wrong. How could a little rant like that be worth such a reaction? What would make it fair to force her to pay for that shit? I'll point it out: Nothing.

Do you know how this 15 year old acts?
Doesn't matter to my argument. Now if you read my argument you might notice that and we wouldn't have such stupid sentences cluttering up your post.

Do you personally know what either the father or herself is like outside this video?
Did I make a judgment that requires knowing either of those? Why no, I didn't. Do try to keep to relevant questions.

How do you know that the 2 Facebook rants mentioned are the only things that ave happened here? You don't.
I don't need to if I simply disagree that any rant warrants the reaction seen.

And that's what Midgeamoo is saying. It's really a criticism of the Escapist Forum community being a bit pretentious and commenting on the situation like we were all jury members to a court case.
Pretentious? You mean like someone who runs around asking stupid questions that don't have to do with what was actually said? Like you?

An 8 minute YouTube video is not enough to be passing judgment of someone's skills as a parent, or as a human being.
Right point me to the part where I made an judgment on his parenting skills as a whole. I can't seem to find it.

Like I said before, I lot of people in these forums need to get off their high horse.
Need help getting down?
Rather than back up your judgments, you're just going to sit there and make smug and pretentious shots? Kind of proves my point pal.

And you saying you don't need more than a YouTube video to make a judgment on how someone handles a situation that could've been a situation brewing for years is really mind boggling. Your essential saying that nothing in the world could've led to his reaction? Because you know the situation?

Really are you warm in your glass house?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Midgeamoo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
You were just told that judging a guy based on an 8 minute YouTube video was ridiculous, so you go back to judging the man based on that same video? Do you know how this 15 year old acts? Do you personally know what either the father or herself is like outside this video? How do you know that the 2 Facebook rants mentioned are the only things that ave happened here? You don't. And that's what Midgeamoo is saying. It's really a criticism of the Escapist Forum community being a bit pretentious and commenting on the situation like we were all jury members to a court case.

An 8 minute YouTube video is not enough to be passing judgment of someone's skills as a parent, or as a human being.

Like I said before, I lot of people in these forums need to get off their high horse.
Somebody... somebody paid attention to a post that wasn't full of opinions and arguments?
*Angelic music*
Thank you for actually paying attention to my wall of reason, seems nobody else has even bothered and just gets back to quoting each other and telling each other why they are '100% wrong'.
They're just arguing for the sake of making them-self feel right, so they'll deny any rationality you bring up. To them you're already wrong and are stupid for no thinking like them.

Lopende Paddo

Aug 26, 2004
I wouldn't have shot the laptop, but then again I'm not wearing a cowboy hat. I would have deprived that girl of the luxury(!) of having a laptop. and i would say this parenting session was probably educational for the daughter.

So this wasn't bad parenting at all.

General Tharivol

Jul 12, 2011
When exactly did viewing a post somebody put on a public website become an invasion of privacy? Could somebody remind me?

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Are you kidding? He shot a lap top he bought, and to claim that he lost count is a straight up lie - he actually counted out the bullets as he shot. I think he's a great example of an American dad - fucker pulled himself through life, got himself into a tech-related profession, and is trying to teach his daughter to have a work ethic. She probably does less than I do, and my parents were hippies. She disrespected her parents hugely, and it makes perfect sense to confiscate her laptop after that. If he chooses to do so with more...eh, flair? than you would, so be it.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Kvaedi said:
DRes82 said:
Ramzal said:
Rights should be either taken away or made more strict when abused by an individual.
You're calling someone else deluded after making a statement like that? The people that created SOPA and PIPA and ACTA agree with you, anyways.

Let the redneck shoot his daughter's computer. I'm terrified of how the internet will affect my children. If they fuck up, I'll discipline them in my own way. Maybe I'll run their computers through a compactor or chainsaw them in half. I'll be sure and video tape it so I can laugh at all the whiny socialists who want to take away my rights to chainsaws or garbage compactors because I used them to destroy a computer.
I wouldn't call him a redneck; a man who works at a clinic, has a cleaning lady, and can afford to shoot expensive laptops is far from being a redneck. There are plenty of people living here in Seattle that are much closer to being rednecks than him.
Hey, if rednecks are guys who work in IT after pulling themselves through their education by working their asses off, we need more rednecks in this country.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Ramzal said:
And at worse, it's childish? Why don't we fire a nuclear weapon into an unpopulated area to show North Korea that we aren't accepting their terms of testing nuclear weapons.
Holy false comparison batman.
You're really using a NUKE as an example?
It's a god damn handgun.