Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
mechanixis said:
Seconded. I don't know if there's a more elegant metaphor for conservative America's relationship with the modern age than a Southern father unloading a gun into a laptop. It's just desperate, reactionary, emotional defiance.

Just pointing out, he says he works in IT. It's not like he shot the laptop because he's afraid of technology.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I don't see a problem with the video. It seems to me that the only reason he used his .45 to destroy the laptop was to make a point. His over-the-top method certainly did work didn't it? Look at how much discussion it generated.

Those crying, "He's violent," are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
On topic, the man's in the right. If you bothered to pay attention to the whole video this WAS the final straw.
Yes, an online rant to friends that he wasn't meant to see was the final straw. Gotta make sure people don't vent to their friends.
He paraphrased what she said. It was addressed to him, yet did not bother to tell him nor allow him to see it apparently. Personally I would have gone with something more graphic or practical than shoot the laptop, but it goes beyond a Facebook rant. He's her father, so is the most likely the one that knows her best to get the point across.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
On topic, the man's in the right. If you bothered to pay attention to the whole video this WAS the final straw.
Yes, an online rant to friends that he wasn't meant to see was the final straw. Gotta make sure people don't vent to their friends.
He paraphrased what she said. It was addressed to him, yet did not bother to tell him nor allow him to see it apparently. Personally I would have gone with something more graphic or practical than shoot the laptop, but it goes beyond a Facebook rant. He's her father, so is the most likely the one that knows her best to get the point across.
It was clearly not meant for him even if it was 'addressed' to him since she wasn't allowing him to see it. And it's a petty thing to do to punish her for something so minor.
He paid for the laptop AND the upgrades. By all definition it was still his. Did she do ANYTHING to earn the privilege (it's not a right to get your parents to buy you an expensive piece of hardware) of having a PC? Did she even thank him? All he asked is that she does a few measly chores any regular teenager would. Hell I'm still in my early twenties and my father used to make me do ten times what he requested when I was younger than her. Same generation example right there.

I'm not taking sides, just view this from an unbiased perspective.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
It was clearly not meant for him even if it was 'addressed' to him since she wasn't allowing him to see it. And it's a petty thing to do to punish her for something so minor.
He paid for the laptop AND the upgrades. By all definition it was still his. Did she do ANYTHING to earn the privilege (it's not a right to get your parents to buy you an expensive piece of hardware) of having a PC? Did she even thank him? All he asked is that she does a few measly chores any regular teenager would. Hell I'm still in my early twenties and my father used to make me do ten times what he requested when I was younger than her. Same generation example right there.

No, you're pretty damn biased here. You keep ignoring the fact that what she did wasn't some awful thing that needed to be punished. The laptop doesn't matter, what matters is if she should have been punished in the first place. And I'd say no because it's just a rant meant to go to her friends. Which you did not address at all in your post.
She pretty much slandered him on facebook for everyone but him to see, using a computer he bought and under a roof he provides, I did 20 times that work when I was that age, did I like it? No, did I go behind my parents back and slander them? No, did I get to keep my dirtbike...Yes because I have respect for people.

Also, think if the reverse had happened and he started posting about her being an undeserving spoiled little brat who does nothing but soak up money and sit around on facebook all day, hidden behind her back, you would be outraged at him.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:

No, you're pretty damn biased here. You keep ignoring the fact that what she did wasn't some awful thing that needed to be punished. The laptop doesn't matter, what matters is if she should have been punished in the first place. And I'd say no because it's just a rant meant to go to her friends. Which you did not address at all in your post.
She pretty much slandered him on facebook for everyone but him to see, using a computer he bought and under a roof he provides, I did 20 times that work when I was that age, did I like it? No, did I go behind my parents back and slander them? No, did I get to keep my dirtbike...Yes because I have respect for people.
Slander? Nah. Ranting to friends, sure. Oh boohoo, he bough the computer, she lives in his house. Doesn't mean she should be disallowed from ranting to friends. If she wants to vent, however much she is in the wrong about it, she should be allowed to.

I also don't give a fuck how much work you did or whatever. Not. The. Issue.
she can walk to her friends and rant now cant she, look what her ranting gained her.
besides what is the issue?

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Mordwyl said:

Slander? Nah. Ranting to friends, sure. Oh boohoo, he bough the computer, she lives in his house. Doesn't mean she should be disallowed from ranting to friends. If she wants to vent, however much she is in the wrong about it, she should be allowed to.

I also don't give a fuck how much work you did or whatever. Not. The. Issue.
she can walk to her friends and rant now cant she,
Or do it online. No appreciable difference unless someone makes an issue out of nothing.

look what her ranting gained her.
Because her dad was unreasonable? Stupid logic there, I'm talking about whether it was justified. Pointing at what it got her is irrelevant.

besides what is the issue?
Whether what she did was worthy of punishment. Not whether it was correct or not or about bragging how much you did without complaining.
As the parent it is his right to choose which luxuries he provides, her post was meant to slander him to her friends and paint him as a bad person without him having a chance to defend himself, because she hid it proves she new what she was posting would result in punishment. He did not punish her he merely removed a luxury which he provided. Its a good lesson to learn in life, imagine 20 years from now she posted something similar about her boss and her boss found out and fired her, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Also I was not bragging just saying that her saying that the chores were unreasonable was to me unreasonable.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
[quote/] Stopping you right here. Point out where I said it wasn't his right. Thanks![/quote]

Good than we agree then, it was his right to choose not to provide the luxury of a laptop.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
[quote/] Stopping you right here. Point out where I said it wasn't his right. Thanks!
Good than we agree then, it was his right to choose not to provide the luxury of a laptop.
No, we don't agree on the main issue. See, because anyone with some sense realizes that just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right to do it

But then you probably know your response is based on ignoring that distinction so you failed to quote me properly. You know, avoid the fact that it's stupidity of the highest degree to babble about rights when we're talking about whether someone is in fact right to do something.[/quote]

Ill forgive you for only quoting and defending against one line of my previous post then.

Your entire argument is based in defining right and wrong which people have been trying to do for over 2000 years and are no closer to a universal answer so your argument has no solid proven base other than your opinion in the matter, I offered an opinion as well but I also provided a fact that it was his right, his opinion is then supported by that right. your opinion is just that, an opinion, until you have the right to determine right and wrong for everyone else on earth your just gonna have to live with it.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
[quote/] Stopping you right here. Point out where I said it wasn't his right. Thanks!
No, we don't agree on the main issue. See, because anyone with some sense realizes that just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right to do it

But then you probably know your response is based on ignoring that distinction so you failed to quote me properly. You know, avoid the fact that it's stupidity of the highest degree to babble about rights when we're talking about whether someone is in fact right to do something.
Ill forgive you for only quoting and defending against one line of my previous post then.
No need, I was quite right not to let you get away with that idiotic blathering about rights when I mentioned nothing of them.

Your entire argument is based in defining right and wrong which people have been trying to do for over 2000 years and are no closer to a universal answer so your argument has no solid proven base other than your opinion in the matter, I offered an opinion as well but I also provided a fact that it was his right, his opinion is then supported by that right. your opinion is just that, an opinion, until you have the right to determine right and wrong for everyone else on earth your just gonna have to live with it.
I am glad to hear you heartily approve of the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church because it is their right. And you approve of the girl's FB post because it's her right! And you approve of my argument, because it's my right to say it!

Or in other words: No, that it is his right supports nothing. That is an intellectually bankrupt position. Think before you make a worthless argument like that.

What's sad about people like you is that you say things like "You're just gonna have to live with it". Did I suggest anything else? Is there, perhaps, an issue you have that makes you reply to things that I didn't actually do or say? I didn't do anything but live with it. I think you need help.[/quote]

And you still offer no defense to your argument just personal attacks and incendiary fallacy.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:

But then you probably know your response is based on ignoring that distinction so you failed to quote me properly. You know, avoid the fact that it's stupidity of the highest degree to babble about rights when we're talking about whether someone is in fact right to do something.
No need, I was quite right not to let you get away with that idiotic blathering about rights when I mentioned nothing of them.

I am glad to hear you heartily approve of the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church because it is their right. And you approve of the girl's FB post because it's her right! And you approve of my argument, because it's my right to say it!

Or in other words: No, that it is his right supports nothing. That is an intellectually bankrupt position. Think before you make a worthless argument like that.

What's sad about people like you is that you say things like "You're just gonna have to live with it". Did I suggest anything else? Is there, perhaps, an issue you have that makes you reply to things that I didn't actually do or say? I didn't do anything but live with it. I think you need help.
And you still offer no defense to your argument just personal attacks and incendiary fallacy.
I did offer a defense. I pointed out that your "It's his right" argument is garbage.

And saying that I offer fallacies is nice. You forgot the step where you actually prove it instead of expecting me to take the word of someone who doesn't even realize why "It's his right" doesn't cover it. And, hell, apparently can't read an argument that tells him why it's wrong.[/quote]

You argument was basically that what his daughter did was not that bad right?
I am merely stating that he administered discipline that he saw fit for the act and that it was his right.

saying that my argument is garbage and not giving a reason, and making false claims that I agree with the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church and that I need help. those are all petty arguments to personally discredit me in an attempt to discredit my argument. Fallacy