Daily Drop: Compact Fluorescents

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
tryx3 said:
Can I get some of these daily drop deals for screen savers? That'd be amazing.
I second this. Maybe after a hundred episodes they can combine all the drops into a screensaver that cycles through them at random.

Showed this video to my Dad, who of course told me about the gasses and gave the "leave for 20 minutes" solution. I told him I'd post a comment to reassure him, only to find all but one of the comments on page one mentioned this. It's good to know this information is so common.

TipsyPeaches

Aug 3, 2009
overtone said:
My face lit up when the other lightbulb broke.

I though yay! crowbar time.
but alas you tease me again jerks.
this, i totally thought we were getting Alex crowbar action. but alas, it was not to be. it was pretty cool though, exploding glass is always fun to watch.

Grevling

Oct 11, 2010
overtone said:
My face lit up when the other lightbulb broke.

I though yay! crowbar time.
but alas you tease me again jerks.
You actually thought that after one try? They always drop things at least twice. And using the crowbar against a light-bulb is like shooting sparrows with cannons anyway.

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
I like how the one light bulb is like: "Ah, f*ck this, I'm doing a somersault."

zaggydog

Dec 7, 2010
Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABbofwD3MI
Then say its not dangerous to play with mercury.
P.S. the gas that shows up is a highly toxic neurotoxin.
P.P.S. The vapor that comes out of the light bulb is the gas.
P.P.P.S. My dad is an environmentalist and he was complaining as he watched this video and directed me to the above.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
zaggydog said:
Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABbofwD3MI
Then say its not dangerous to play with mercury.
P.S. the gas that shows up is a highly toxic neurotoxin.
P.P.S. The vapor that comes out of the light bulb is the gas.
P.P.P.S. My dad is an environmentalist and he was complaining as he watched this video and directed me to the above.
Good news, I found out what that light bulb that they just destroyed was for. It was made energy efficient light bulb, filled with a deadly nuerotoxin, that would fill that basement with a deadly nuerotoxin.

Theres a portal joke there somewhere.

OT: Theres not a high enough amount there to do any more damage to you than what already happens on a regular basis.

Additionally, if you don't believe me.

Read: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp (link they provided)

tamaness

Sep 24, 2009
Umm, the gas in a CFL bulb is usually argon. If it's not Argon, it's one of the other noble gasses. The anode and cathode contain trace amounts of mercury, in a form that is unlikely to vaporize or detach from the lead. CFLs are the same construction as a standard flourescent bulb, except with the transformer and ballast in a small self-contained unit, rather than in the fixture itself. If properly disposed of (most retailers who carry CFL bulbs offer recycling of said bulbs as part of the purchase cost), the mercury in the bulbs can be re-used. There is very little danger of inhalation of enough mercury (even though it contains some vaporized mercury) to cause any lasting damage to a person if they happen to inhale some of the contents.

If you are installing CFL bulbs inverted (such as in-ceiling lighting), you need to purchase bulbs rated for inverted installation. Standard CFL bulbs are designed to be installed upright or horizontal in a lamp or wall fixture, and as such are designed to allow for lower amounts of heat. If a standard bulb is installed in an inverted fixture, the ballast and transformer can overheat and fail prematurely.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Anchupom said:
emeraldrafael said:
I thought ths was bad for the environemnt because you let out a small amount of some kinda toxic substance that was let out in filament bulbs so you werent supposed to break these.

I wanna say its mercury, but I'm pretty sure I'm worng if i do
Naahhh.
For the record, neon or argon, most likely. Any of the noble gases, basically.
[sub]Aaah, half an AS in chemistry and I already feel smart.[/sub]

OT: that was pretty satisfying to watch, not sure why.
ell, I've been told its mercury.
Well mercury is a metal that's liquid at room temperature and used in thermometers so I don't know how it would be used in lights...
I could be sorely mistaken though. To Google!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Anchupom said:
Well, most of the people that quoted my original post when i asked that have said its Mercury Vapor. And the escapist seems (mostly) like a smart group, so i trust them.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Anchupom said:
Well, most of the people that quoted my original post when i asked that have said its Mercury Vapor. And the escapist seems (mostly) like a smart group, so i trust them.
You're exchanging pleasantries with the minority of the Escapist community (me) then. Derp. :D

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Fun fact: this is the first time I have ever seen one of those break.