Daily Drop: Dried Flowers

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Is it just me ore have the past two epides seen a sharp decrease in quality? I watched a one from earlier and it looked much better than the past two.

EDIT: Sorry to make it clear I meant VIDEO quality not content. I'm in the Pub-Club and the credits in particular seem a lot fuzzier for this episode. The high quality image really lets you see the shockwaves ripple out from the impact.
ewhac said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Is it just me ore have the past two epides seen a sharp decrease in quality?
It's not just you. I've noticed the lowered image detail as well. I'm hoping it's just a clerical error (uploaded the wrong video to the HQ directories).

As for people claiming they're running out of things to drop, during the Desert Bus for Hope charity run, Graham happened to mention that they shot about 150 drops over the course of a week. So we've got a ways to go yet.
When you see this kind of drop in video quality, it's usually because our content quality standards are so high.

EVERY SINGLE VIDEO available to the public (over 1500 by my count) goes through rigorous quality control before it is ever on the site. If we don't think it's ready to show, we won't show it until it is.

Occasionally, we make a minor edit to keep the release on schedule. Because we're basically making a copy of a copy, the result is a little blurring in the HQ version. When this happens, we get replacements from the content creators to make things look pretty again as quickly as possible. We do this so that you, the audience, can have the best viewing experience possible while minimizing downtime that results from meeting our very high standards.

So, um... Sorry we're so nitpicky on your behalf?

the-kitchen-slayer

Apr 16, 2008
That drop (While not as entertaining as one's past, I do have my favorite somewhere back in the annals of history...) was one that I enjoyed for the cool factor over the "yay! things smashing" reason I started watching. I never expected the flower to survive the impact, or even stand up after.

Glad this thing is going daily, I think it's the only reason I seem to learn something every day XD

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
CaptainCrunch said:
Is that you, John Draper?

CaptainCrunch said:
Occasionally, we make a minor edit to keep the release on schedule. Because we're basically making a copy of a copy, the result is a little blurring in the HQ version. When this happens, we get replacements from the content creators to make things look pretty again as quickly as possible. We do this so that you, the audience, can have the best viewing experience possible while minimizing downtime that results from meeting our very high standards.
I can relate. I don't for a moment imagine that balancing visual quality against bandwidth costs is easy. I have this 720p/30 H.264 video I made in which not much moves. But because of a dissolve at the beginning, I had to encode at 2 Mbits/sec -- anything lower and it turned to blocky mush.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that you've also started doing temporal blurring as well (blending frame N with frame N+1). It's easy to spot in Yahtzee's videos where everything is a smash cut. You should have your video techs write up an article about all the tradeoffs they face, and all their discoveries into the secrets of 'ffmpeg'.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
ewhac said:
CaptainCrunch said:
Is that you, John Draper?
You're actually the first user to get the 'true' origin of my username. Alas, I am not John Draper, but merely someone who appreciates his contribution to communications systems as we know it.

ewhac said:
CaptainCrunch said:
I can relate. I don't for a moment imagine that balancing visual quality against bandwidth costs is easy. I have this 720p/30 H.264 video I made in which not much moves. But because of a dissolve at the beginning, I had to encode at 2 Mbits/sec -- anything lower and it turned to blocky mush.

I've noticed in the last few weeks that you've also started doing temporal blurring as well (blending frame N with frame N+1). It's easy to spot in Yahtzee's videos where everything is a smash cut. You should have your video techs write up an article about all the tradeoffs they face, and all their discoveries into the secrets of 'ffmpeg'.
Any temporal blurring is at the content creator level, but I'll pass along your idea for an article to the ffMPEG wranglers since I thankfully don't have to deal with tweaking the command line nightmare of stream encoding.

The Morrigan

Wharrgarble
Nov 23, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
EDIT: Sorry to make it clear I meant VIDEO quality not content. I'm in the Pub-Club and the credits in particular seem a lot fuzzier for this episode. The high quality image really lets you see the shockwaves ripple out from the impact.
Phew, I'm glad it's not just me! I'm also Pub Club, and have noticed the fuzziness in the last couple of episodes. I was afraid it was my monitor.

Fuzziness aside, I enjoyed watching the flowers extricate themselves from the breaking glass... it almost looked like they were shrugging the fall off as "just a flesh wound."

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
Hey, christmas is coming, you better start breaking christmas stuff because there are so many christmas related stuff that you could destroy and I would enjoy...

christmas.