Daily Drop: Ted the Cat

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Nimzar said:
When I saw the Crowbar sequence I was hoping that it would be a crowbar with a bit of string tied to the end used to tease the cat into jumping several feet in the air.
Ha. I'm actually picturing that in my mind right now. I'm D'awwwwing at the moment, it's so clever.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont usually watch this but I like cats...and well, this is what I was thinking when I saw it in slo mo... (couldnt find a simple version)

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
DenUrs said:
Normally I'm not really into Daily Drop, but just had to see this. Awesome to see how a cat absorbs the shock of falling in slow motion.
And then how about the sticky-taping of a buttered toast onto the cat? Gravity defiance I tell you!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
Oh Alex you joker :')

Good stuff lol i find it freaky how the cats legs sort of take the impact then curl
Yeah, at least to me that explained how cats are able to land so lightly. This truly is a great way to relieve the pressure from the impact.

Mumorpuger said:
"Hm... wouldn't it be funny if they did the 'Crowbar Ready' sequ...

... HOLY COW THEY'RE DOING IT!"

I laughed.... Hard.
My thoughts went down that line too, except I was thinking "Well, that cat wont break, but they wont use the crowbar in this episode... Oh god!"

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
The first thing to walk away from the drop. :p
I really did not see this one coming. I saw the title and thought "some soft toy..." but noooo...
Nice one though. It strikes me that the cat seems to be a really lazy cat - as far as cats go.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
pigmy wurm said:
Ted?

their was a Commodore Hustle episode that used his name just two weeks ago. were you worried about preserving his identity.
It isn't the same cat...
Kathleen's cats are differen colours.

OT where did you get this cat from?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Kargathia said:
Akalabeth said:
Shoulda dropped it upside down and see when it lands on its feet. Though, given a concrete floor you'd probably want to test it on a bed first or something to make sure it would twist around in time.
If he couldn't then it'd be a failure of a cat. Or really fat.

Either way: still impressed with how flexible cats really are. You just try falling facefirst towards the floor from a good 3 meter high, and landing on the palms of your hands without smacking your head against the concrete.
Yeah but we don't use our hands. If we continually walked around on all fours and regularly jumped down different heights hands first then we'd be just as adept at doing that. Because conversly, I'd like to see a cat try jumping off a metre height and landing only on its hind legs as we can.
When we jump of a 2.5m ledge (1m translated to human length) we don't simply land on our legs: we bend our knees and allow our legs to act as springs, probably even touching the floor with our hands to maintain balance.
Which was about the same behaviour I just saw when I dropped my own cat - except that he walked away on four legs instead of two.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Kargathia said:
Akalabeth said:
Kargathia said:
Akalabeth said:
Shoulda dropped it upside down and see when it lands on its feet. Though, given a concrete floor you'd probably want to test it on a bed first or something to make sure it would twist around in time.
If he couldn't then it'd be a failure of a cat. Or really fat.

Either way: still impressed with how flexible cats really are. You just try falling facefirst towards the floor from a good 3 meter high, and landing on the palms of your hands without smacking your head against the concrete.
Yeah but we don't use our hands. If we continually walked around on all fours and regularly jumped down different heights hands first then we'd be just as adept at doing that. Because conversly, I'd like to see a cat try jumping off a metre height and landing only on its hind legs as we can.
When we jump of a 2.5m ledge (1m translated to human length) we don't simply land on our legs: we bend our knees and allow our legs to act as springs, probably even touching the floor with our hands to maintain balance.
Which was about the same behaviour I just saw when I dropped my own cat - except that he walked away on four legs instead of two.

i'm going to cite gorillas or chimps, seeing as we have a close genetic bond with them, and just say if we ran around on our knuckles all day we would have the same capacity to jump off things and land on all fours, albeit that i do think apes land on their toes first then their knuckles, but it's the same principle
the highest ive ever jumped off of was a wooden shed roughly 2m tall, that's fairly easy unless you are excessively out of shape, i imagine a 2nd story window would be possible without serious injury, beyond that the cat definitely wins
i'm told long haired cats can reach terminal velocity and survive the impact under certain conditions

a quick google finds things like this:
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211.web.stuff/Kuhns/terminal_velocity.htm

I don't care to comment how accurate it is, but it seems roughly believable

i know some squirrels can unfold their limbs and glide for a while, and there is a type that is so adept at it they evolved skin wing structures between their limbs so i do wonder if that's a genetic trait bread into any creature with loose arm joints?
what do you guys think?

CitizenV

Jun 15, 2010
I know that you probably didn't do it with any malice but this still seems like a cruel thing to do.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
tehweave said:
Three things:

One, I forsee this as becoming the most popular daily drop ever.

Two, I lost it when the 'crowbar' came up. Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Three, "No animals were harmed in the making of this video." Yeah, no shit. Kathleen would murder all y'all if ya did.
And Matt would have been alarmingly indifferent if crowbar was applied. I was hoping for crowbar kitty toy to make him jump when I saw Crowbar is Ready.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
The Lugz said:
i'm going to cite gorillas or chimps, seeing as we have a close genetic bond with them, and just say if we ran around on our knuckles all day we would have the same capacity to jump off things and land on all fours, albeit that i do think apes land on their toes first then their knuckles, but it's the same principle
the highest ive ever jumped off of was a wooden shed roughly 2m tall, that's fairly easy unless you are excessively out of shape, i imagine a 2nd story window would be possible without serious injury, beyond that the cat definitely wins
People definitely don't land on knuckles, but there are safe techiques for landing from second-story window height.