Daily Drop: Television

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Wow, that looks exactly like the TV I had as a kid. Much NES was played on that thing...

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Yopaz said:
I know, for that reason alone I've been wanting to find an old CRT TV just for the purpose of smashing of the back and see it implode. I have a feeling I will be underwhelmed by seeing an implosion... it can't be as cool as it sounds somehow...
Well the closest I've seen is this.

No implosion though. And it went down pretty easily too. Where exactly did the LRR crew FIND that thing? An old Russian Nuclear Bunker from the 80's?

IMakeIce

Dec 21, 2010
Yopaz said:
CRT TVs wont break from a frontal assault, the glass is way too thick to be broken by a fall like that, there's also vacuum inside so it's built to last. If they had attacked it from behind it would knock off the protection from the back and cause an implosion. My physics teacher in high school taught me that, a wisdom he gained when he was trying to help a friend move his TV.
TV imploded by one drop to the floor because the back of it hit the table the TV was on.
Hold on there.

Having a vacuum inside something does not make it stronger to outside attacks...in fact it makes it far weaker. There is no pressure inside a vacuum tube to counter the atmospheric pressure outside. So you have the constant atmospheric pressure, plus the impact of whatever attack you throw at it to break something "holding" a vacuum. Vacuum anythings are built to last because if they weren't, they'd implode at the slightest suggestion.

The glass does not break because of a combination of thickness (CRT glass _is_ quite thick), but moreso(especially considering the vacuum inside) because it has a convex surface. A dome struck at its apex will spread the force equally across its entire structure. The TV's glass is not a perfect dome but it's sufficient to spread the impact.

Here is a link with a picture of the guts of a CRT tv. As you can see, it's obvious that hitting it anywhere in the back, and not the curved front, would result in breaking something as there is no structural soundness anywhere. Hitting it in the back would probably not cause a catastrophic implosion involving the glass, though (as the glass would still be fully intact and its dome structure still gives it considerable strength). I'm fairly certain that your physics instructor's implosion resulted in the tv striking a _corner_ of the glass front as it hit the ground, resulting in weakening the glass overall and allowing the vacuum to implode everything. Striking a CRT monitor or TV's corner _will_ make the thing implode pretty spectacularly.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question678.htm

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
You probably would've had better luck with the crowbar if you'd used the curved bit at the back (I wanna call it the heel, but that doesn't sound right) rather than the point. But there we go. Takes a serious whack to break one of those things.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
That is one sturdy ************.

GO CINDERBLOCK!

Seriously, though? 2 options should cinder block fail:

Chainsaw
Firecrackers

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
IMakeIce said:
Yopaz said:
CRT TVs wont break from a frontal assault, the glass is way too thick to be broken by a fall like that, there's also vacuum inside so it's built to last. If they had attacked it from behind it would knock off the protection from the back and cause an implosion. My physics teacher in high school taught me that, a wisdom he gained when he was trying to help a friend move his TV.
TV imploded by one drop to the floor because the back of it hit the table the TV was on.
Hold on there.

Having a vacuum inside something does not make it stronger to outside attacks...in fact it makes it far weaker. There is no pressure inside a vacuum tube to counter the atmospheric pressure outside. So you have the constant atmospheric pressure, plus the impact of whatever attack you throw at it to break something "holding" a vacuum. Vacuum anythings are built to last because if they weren't, they'd implode at the slightest suggestion.

The glass does not break because of a combination of thickness (CRT glass _is_ quite thick), but moreso(especially considering the vacuum inside) because it has a convex surface. A dome struck at its apex will spread the force equally across its entire structure. The TV's glass is not a perfect dome but it's sufficient to spread the impact.

Here is a link with a picture of the guts of a CRT tv. As you can see, it's obvious that hitting it anywhere in the back, and not the curved front, would result in breaking something as there is no structural soundness anywhere. Hitting it in the back would probably not cause a catastrophic implosion involving the glass, though (as the glass would still be fully intact and its dome structure still gives it considerable strength). I'm fairly certain that your physics instructor's implosion resulted in the tv striking a _corner_ of the glass front as it hit the ground, resulting in weakening the glass overall and allowing the vacuum to implode everything. Striking a CRT monitor or TV's corner _will_ make the thing implode pretty spectacularly.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question678.htm
I never said vacuum made it stronger, I said the vacuum made it cause an implosion, I said the glass is incredibly thich and that the weakness was if you know off the part in the back. I also think my source is pretty reliable as he actually got a degree in physics and saw it with his own eyes, simply repeating what he told me, I can't really say anything else than that. I do think he would recognize an implosion though.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Wow this drop was great. I thought that it may survive the drop but I didn't believe that it would also withstand the crowbar. You should have called Gordon Freeman or used a Sledgehammer, same result.
But the shrug and then the cinder block drop was hilarious but I wish you would drop another TV or at least tell us whether it still works.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wow.

Gordon Freeman you are not. That TV kicked your arse. Heck, even the block only made a small hole.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Now go get buy modern plasma for 1000$, It will break from 10 centimeter fall.

Zhukov said:
Heck, even the block only made a small hole.
Nah, it didnt.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
all you need is a sledge hammer.

yeah they were build stronger but were heavy as shit.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
W...T...F...????

I expected the screen to shatter when the landed, but no...

And the damn TV deflected the crowbar TWICE!?

So... CINDERBLOCK IS READY... at least it did SOMETHING.

That TV must have been fossilized or something by the time you guys brought it to the Drop Zone...

archabaddon said:
somebody needs to keep a running tally of when the crowbar (and now the cinder block!> have been implemented.
Consider it done, dood:

1) Salt and pepper (rather, just the pepper)
2) Ground coffee (and the first strike didn't do anything)
3) Robot dog (which needed 3 crowbar attacks)
4) Swiss cake roll
5) Fruitcake
6) Santa candle (first two hits did nothing; at least the face got ripped off)
7) Baseball trophy
8) Toy computer
9) Toothpaste
10) Ketchup and mustard (drops did nothing; crowbar EXPLODED them)
11) Cassette
12) Fake Twinkies (I think they were really Zingers)
13) Noodle cake
14) Guava (or was is a papaya? whatever it was, first crowbar BOUNCED OFF)
15) Nintendo Game Boy
16) NES cartridge
17) Sony PlayStation
18) TV (which also needed: CINDERBLOCK IS READY)

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Damn that TV was indestructible...
Amazing there was a backup plan for if the crowbar fails :p!!!
Its a shame the stuffing got knocked out of it.

Maybe one of these days we'll see something that can survive the cinder block

Oh and now for my daily drop pun

My parents used to block channels, you guys took it one step further!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
In the event of alien invasion, please delete this video. Otherwise the Combine will replace their helmets with 80s television sets and we won't stand a chance.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
All bow down to the Unkillable Television! Surely it is from the Gods!

Oh Great Television please tell me what you need!