Daily Drop: Television

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
wow you guys are lucky when those things blow the blow with a bang a fun thing to do is saw the back off and watch the ray gun shoot the front like a ... bullet

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
That was amazing! Really interesting.

Although I heard once that you really didn't want to break open the vacuum tube of a TV because the sudden implosion would be rather dangerous. So perhaps it is better that the cinder block didn't work?

I want to see you break it though!!

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
Oh. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before. Accepting today's entry, which was awesome, some of the more standard non-solid drops have been getting a little routine. Still interesting but not as cool as it was initially.

One of the ideas I think would create something new would be to drop some of these objects into a transparent container, so that when they fly or bounce we can see them bouncing off of other stuff rather than flying out of the field of view of the camera.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
InevitableFate said:
Did they used to make TVs out of diamonds or something?
The particular configuration of that TV screen is particularly adept at absorbing shock and deflecting impacts is all. Glass can actually flex slightly and thanks to the curve the flex occurs across more of the screen.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Holy hell, that thing is more resistant than the mobile phone I used in the day to crack floor tiles.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
You see, once upon a time factories did not have a marketing expert behind them. They built shit to work as long as it doesn't turn to dust.

Nowadays it's not profitable. It's better to build a tv that lasts 2 or 3 years (preferably just as the warranty ends) and THAN break. So you have to buy another one, preferably from the same company...

Marketing experts should seriously kill themselves...
And no I'm not kidding...

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Not suprising considering they had to build them with such thick glass to SHIELD THE VIEWERS FROM RADIATION!

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Tynermeister said:
FAILURE!

CROWBAR IS READY!

CROWBAR FAILURE!

CINDERBLOCK IS READY!

CINDERBLOCK FAILURE!

. . .

NUKE READY!
Next time you break your LCD by dropping it remember the durability of the CRT TV

Feb 13, 2008
Tupolev said:
I don't get why everyone is so surprised that it's built like a tank. Remember, these are the TV's we used against the communists. Obviously.
This is why us oldies get so upset seeing your new fangled toys break so easily. Most items were built to these sort of standards.

WildSeraph

Jan 5, 2011
First Daily Drop I saw:
"So, what is this? When they say 'drop', do they really-Oh, wow! They literally drop stuff. Cool."

First time dropping failed:
"Aww, too strong. I suppose this'll be a pretty boring episode if they just keep trying to-HOLY SHIT, CROWBAR."

Now:
"Damn, even the crowbar failed! Are they going to bring in some new-CINDERBLOOOOOOCK!"

I patiently await the failure of the cinderblock.

ToastedEngineer

Oct 27, 2010
It's a good thing the cathode ray tube stood up to the crowbar, when we were breaking old crt tubes for disposal at work the last thing you want to be is anywhere near the screen when chunks of inch thick glass are flying about.

As for breaking it from the front a 5 lb steel hammer thrown across a loading bay works really well for punching through the screen, convex or not.

Pretty spectacular drop all the same.