Daily Star Gets Nailed for Made-Up GTA Story

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
SadakoMoose said:
Kiefer13 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Root's Guide to the English Papers
The Daily/Sunday Sport - No discernible stance(Male/All classes) : Tits - Every page : Headlines "ELVIS FOUND ON MOON".
The Sun: Politics - Hard Right(Male/Working Class): Tits - Page 3 : Headlines include Fascism, Celebrities, Anti Europe
The Daily Mail - Hard Right(Female (honestly)/Middle Class): Tits - None : Headlines include Racism, Homophobia, Scare Stories, Hating the BBC
The Daily Star - Hard Right(Male/Unemployed): Tits - most pages : Headlines include Scare Stories, Xenophobia
The Independent - Left(Middle Class): Tits - NEVER : Headlines - Grief/Anger/Sorrow/Green
The Times - Right(Upper Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines - Stiff Upper Lip, Doom but with proper grammar.
The Financial Times - As above but with more stockmarkets.
The Observer (Sundays Only) - Left(Middles Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines : It all depends who's running it at the time.
The Grundiaa - (Guardian - Known for its regular typos) - Left(Upper Class) - Tits: Occasionally - Snooty, self-serving but generally not that biased. Best of a bad bunch.

All weekend supplements are full of celebrity tattle and are generally all as bad as each other.
Sounds about right, from what I've seen. Reminded me of this, as well:
<youtube=Hq5_joo5l5I>
My god, how does anyone in England get the news?
The BBC. Either BBC News on TV, or as I do, from their website.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I suppose that people who like to comment on things that they know nothing about would also have no way of knowing how terrible the fake boxart is.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Metalix Knightmare said:
Kiefer13 said:
vallorn said:
ah the Left wing press,. thier so stupid!!
I think you'll find that the Daily Star is a predominately right-wing biased paper.
Which is still rather left wing in the U.S.
Ah, yes, the U.S., where all you'll find is "right wing" and "more right wing". :p

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
subtlefuge said:
I suppose that people who like to comment on things that they know nothing about would also have no way of knowing how terrible the fake boxart is.
Common sense or any other form of logic don't exist in the world of The Daily Star.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Isn't this defamation? I know it's rockstar but even they can't like the idea that someone is saying they would do something in such poor taste.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well Rockstar definitely has some ammo to sue the Star, but I think we know what the Star will say. Sad that there are people who would pull this sort of stuff.
Jack and Calumon said:
Gullibility and sick jokes combine to make something... indescribable. Also, do you have to show the guy in the top right of the image? It's kinda messed up, and not something I want to see when drinking my tea.

Calumon: I know there are people who'd do that, but I didn't know people would believe that.
Unfortunately, my little friend, many people find it easy to believe whatever is put in front of them, regardless of whether it is true or not. And even a fair chunk of those still hang onto that misguided thought after the facts are revealed.

GlobalJim

May 18, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Oh good heavens...

The British papers are off again. I feel so ashamed. The Daily Star is the lowest of the low, even lower than the Sun, News of the World or the Mirror.

To be honest though, anyone who has played any of Rockstar's games would KNOW that this would never happen. GTA might offend many people in many ways but it certainly isn't that insensitive.

Is this publication (if I dare call it that?) really so desperate for news that they have to make this trash up? Sadly there will be people who believe this and that's another blow to the gaming industry with the "games are bad" hammer.
I have a hammer, go get me a sickle

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Beh, ashamed of my country's newspapers... but then quite frankly that's nothing horribly new. The only one I can even stand reading is the Times.

Still, that said, I was pleasantly surprised to see a freakishly positive news story about the British games industry (well sort of) on BBC news. Remember we had that news piece recently about the fake Canadian passports at the UK games developers conference? It was about that, and the state of the industry surrounding it, and it really did highlight the creativity of the industry at large while not once mentioning the usual controversy.

Though, of course, it for some reason substituted proper pictures of games with fake animations reminiscent of the early eighties >.> Still, for once, a scarily positive angle.

mijetman

Nov 20, 2009
that's what you get from a paper that costs 20p.

interestingly when trying to navigate to it on the main page it redirects you to a page asking girls to post "hot pics" on the site. who's really morally irresponsible in all this?

Feb 13, 2008
mcshed said:
Erm The Observer is The Sunday Guardian, and I'm fairly sure main readership for both would be middle class.
I never was quite sure on that. The Observer seems to have gone through many stages. But yeah, I'll change that. It's mostly Upper Middle though.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
The Daily/Sunday Sport - No discernible stance(Male/All classes) : Tits - Every page : Headlines "ELVIS FOUND ON MOON".
The Sun: Politics - Hard Right(Male/Working Class): Tits - Page 3 : Headlines include Fascism, Celebrities, Anti Europe
The Daily Mail - Hard Right(Female (honestly)/Middle Class): Tits - None : Headlines include Racism, Homophobia, Scare Stories, Hating the BBC
The Daily Star - Hard Right(Male/Unemployed): Tits - most pages : Headlines include Scare Stories, Xenophobia
The Independent - Left(Middle Class): Tits - NEVER : Headlines - Grief/Anger/Sorrow/Green
The Times - Right(Upper Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines - Stiff Upper Lip, Doom but with proper grammar.
The Financial Times - As above but with more stockmarkets.
The Observer (Sundays Only) - Left(Middles Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines : It all depends who's running it at the time.
The Grundiaa - (Guardian - Known for its regular typos) - Left(Upper Class) - Tits: Occasionally - Snooty, self-serving but generally not that biased. Best of a bad bunch.

All weekend supplements are full of celebrity tattle and are generally all as bad as each other.
This was extremely informative. My thanks to you, good sire!

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I'm surprise Rockstar hasn't come down and curb stomped the Daily Star for this ridiculous mess of a story.
I sure as hell would have if it was up to me.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010

^This=infinitely more likely than the one from the story^

Sadly, it looks less like it was designed by a three year old.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Well, then again...my reaction to another Grand Theft Auto would be somewhere along the lines of: "Oh, Gawd. Again!?" and "Please, stop wasting your money on this worthless franchise."

So, I suppose, to me, scrapping this idea from the get-go is a good thing.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Here's a hint to all my non-Britons, never trust any tabloid with "Daily" in the name.
- Our right wing is just as bad as yours, America.

The Grundiaa - (Guardian - Known for its regular typos) - Left(Middle Class) - Tits: Occasionally - Snooty, self-serving but generally not that biased. Best of a bad bunch.

It's why I read the Guardian, and occasional the Independent.

vallorn said:
ah the Left wing press,. thier so stupid!!
They supported Conservative this election.

SadakoMoose said:
My god, how does anyone in England get the news?
All of the Britons get the same papers, just as bad here in Scotland, and over in Northern Ireland and Wales I'm afraid.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
That cover is in really fucking bad taste...

Sorry, but it just distract's me from the whole thing...

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
FargoDog said:
The sad thing is, this is pretty much British newspapers attitude towards the game industries summed up in one article. I have yet to see any newspaper or magazine (outside of proper gaming and media ones obviously) be even neutral towards the games industry; it's all negative hyperbole.

If I can find the video of the UK chat show where they interview the games journalist and some other people I'll post it. It's depressing.

EDIT: Ah ha! I found the funny version to make it slightly less depressing.

when she said that Video Games reward violence i immediately thaught of "Planescape: Torment". if i remember correctly you are only forced to fight two times in the entire game, all other conflicts can often be solved by stealth or dialogue. The games gives experience points for both fighting and dialouge which means that the player can play as a guy who speaks himself out of most situations or a walking tank who shreds people to pieces, Additionally game rewards players whit more experience points through the dialogue rather than the fighting.