Dalisclock plays through the Dragon Age Trilogy and makes a lot of running commentary along the way. Spoilers abound.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Pretty much every game is stand alone with a few cameo here and there from pass game. Problem is they try to let the player import their decision from pass game, but that means they can't re use the same setting since they would have to account for vastly different player choice. Even then they run into some problem here and there and will ret con some player choice regardless.

For example, Morrigan as a quick (and rather pointless) cameo in DA:I and that's it.
Morrigan’s presence is less a cameo - Alastair in DAII is a cameo - and more like a special guest star for a few episodes of a show since you meet her at the end of one critical mission path and she sticks around for the next, even hanging around in Skyhold.

The biggest retcon I’m aware of is Lilianna since she can die in Origins or it’s expansions, but someone on the writing staff liked her and turned her from a really good bard to the Left Hand of the Divine in DragonAge II.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So in conclusion, I went into this game for the 4th attempt because I'd been convinced there's merit to the series and it was worth a full go through. Dragon Age Origins does have a slow start and a lot of the game is rough around the edges, but slowly but surely it won me over and I can definitely see why people like to talk about it so much. While the gameplay feels a bit clunky, the worldbuilding and roleplaying are well done. I'm glad I stuck with it all the way though I did have to mess around with the settings at one point because I started getting constant crashing in denerim. Whatever I did fixed it and wasn't a problem for the rest of the game but apparently Origins is not a fan of Windows 10.

But man, this thing has a lot of DLC, it feels like, which I'll quickly re-summerize my feelings on them.

Stone Prisoner: Shale is a hoot and it's a fun adventure. Arguably one of the first things to do in a given playthrough.

Warden's Keep: An interesting adventure that goes over a particular bit of Grey Warden History where they attempted a coup and that's why there's very few Wardens in ferelden. It's also yet another reason mages can be very fucking dangerous if they decide to cast....not making bad decisions.....out the window. Of course, once you finish the main part the keep is cleansed but sadly you can't do much with it and the interior becomes inaccessible. A couple merchants set up shop and a storage chest appears in the courtyard. It does feel like a prototype for Vigils keep, which would be more fully realized in Awakening, especially since Wardens Keep is kind of off to the side and not terribly convenient to visit just for the storage chest(which is the big reason to go there).

Return to Ostagar: Basically a revisitation of the beginning of the game, allowing Alister to come to term with Calian's Death and some rather nice loot from Duncan and the late King. A pretty decent trip if done near the end of the main game.

A tale of Orzammar: it's a Demo and pretty mediocre one at that. It's an hour long and basically the Dwarf Noble Origin story but with no real pot or dialogue. Worth it only if you're a completionist or really want to see the preview people got of this game before it came out.

The Darkspawn Chronicles: The only DLC I didn't finish but it's basically what if the Endgame but Darkspawn and you kill all the characters. No dialogue, nothing other then some combat in a What-if Scenario. Also the Dog's official name is "Barkspawn" which is cute but I still prefer Doggo or Pupper.

Leliana's Song: An interesting look into Leliana's past though it's slightly awkward consider the way she told it made it sound like all these events happened in Orlais, but this DLC is basically just recycled maps from the base game and awakening. Also the special armor you can get in the DLC is worth it for a rogue in your party and is unmatched even into the later DLC, so worth a go for that if nothing else.

Awakening: It could easily be a sequel to Origins, with a new cast, a new area and explores the rebuilding of the grey wardens and a rather spiffy player HQ. Also tries to explore some different issues then the main game with some amount of success.

The Golems of Amgarrak: A quick little dungeon crawl through a couple of maps already featured in Origins and Awakening. Nothing much to see here but hey, if you want more Dragon Age Combat here ya go.

Witch Hunt: Generally pretty good but too short and ends on an anti-climax if you weren't super close to morrigan or didn't take the god baby deal. A decent epilogue to the whole experience otherwise.

So yeah, that's a wrap on that. Basically the TL;DR for people who couldn't take my rambling for 11 pages(so far) and 200 something posts, there's the short and sweet version of it. Now, off to Kirkwall for a different experience. DA2 apparently quite as long as Origins so this one should be a little bit faster to go through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon_4

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Morrigan’s presence is less a cameo - Alastair in DAII is a cameo - and more like a special guest star for a few episodes of a show since you meet her at the end of one critical mission path and she sticks around for the next, even hanging around in Skyhold.

The biggest retcon I’m aware of is Lilianna since she can die in Origins or it’s expansions, but someone on the writing staff liked her and turned her from a really good bard to the Left Hand of the Divine in DragonAge II.
There's a couple of stuff that are essentially retcon, like if you hand over a certain someone to the Qunari you find out in inquisition that person just escaped and it completely invalidate your choice. So not literally a retcon, but essentially the same things.

For DA:O overall. I think its a good game, but ultimately I don't think its really anything special. I guess I see it as the perfect example of a fine western RPG, you got all the cliche with a few unique touch and everything is pretty good, if unexceptional. Solid 8/10.

As fro the DLC, DLC were pretty new back then so they didn't really know how to do them so they just threw everything at it. Honestly the only thing that's worth playing is awekening and it's not really a DLC. Personally I also really hate how most of the stuff you get in DLC is overpowered which make the base game too easy.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Justice introduce spirit and everything, but its barely relevant in 2 and never mentioned in inquisition.
Huh? My memory of the games is somewhat foggy, but Justice is very relevent in Dragon Age 2? He merges into Anders, becomes a spirit of Vengeance, and then they end up blowing up the Kirkwall Chantry, which kicks off the whole mage/templar war, which is the focal point of DA2's final act, and continues in Inquisition.

And sure, he doesn't appear in Inquisition outside of a small mention, but I imagine that this is because Anders/Justice could be killed at the end of DA2.

As for spirits in general, isn't Cole in DA:I some kind of spirit? A quick search of the DA wiki also shows that there is a quest in Inqusition where you meet the Spirit of Wisdom.

SImilarly, the darkspawn faction and the fact some are inteligent is also never touched on again, sadly. It's a shame cause they're cool aspect.
The primary antagonist of DA2's Legacy DLC, and Inquisition's main plot, is literally another smart darkspawn.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Huh? My memory of the games is somewhat foggy, but Justice is very relevent in Dragon Age 2? He merges into Anders, becomes a spirit of Vengeance, and then they end up blowing up the Kirkwall Chantry, which kicks off the whole mage/templar war, which is the focal point of DA2's final act, and continues in Inquisition.

And sure, he doesn't appear in Inquisition outside of a small mention, but I imagine that this is because Anders/Justice could be killed at the end of DA2.

As for spirits in general, isn't Cole in DA:I some kind of spirit? A quick search of the DA wiki also shows that there is a quest in Inqusition where you meet the Spirit of Wisdom.

The primary antagonist of DA2's Legacy DLC, and Inquisition's main plot, is literally another smart darkspawn.
While Anders is technically posses in DA2, that doesn't really change anything in the actual game. It's not like you have to exorcise him or interact with the spirit, all it does is that Anders is now kinda angry all the time.

As for the smart darkspawn, they're mentioned but they don't really impact anything, like you might call him main antagonist of DA:I but he's in the game a grand total of like 10 minutes and the elf is the real antagonist in the end, the darkspawn is more or less a place holder.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Just ignore the fact that every woman in DA2 has lich hands.
I didn't notice that but the one elf smuggler lady you meet near the beginning of DA2 looks ...wierd. The proportions look off somehow and its distracting.

And of course, now I'm gonna notice the hands a lot now

Like the elves in Origins are shorter then humans but all the body proportions are the same. I don't know whats going on in DA2

Last edited:

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I didn't notice that but the one elf smuggler lady you meet near the beginning of DA2 looks ...wierd. The proportions look off somehow and its distracting.

Like the elves in Origins are shorter then humans but all the body proportions are the same. I don't know whats going on in DA2
Yeah, suffice it to say that the races are a bit more distinct in DA2. Elves got their proportions tweaked, and Qunari now have horns more often than not, with Sten being reimagined as being hornless due to a rare-ish phenotype (think 'red hair' frequency). The former gets dialed back a bit for Inquisition, so if it weirds you out, just think of the stylizations as being a product of how Varric's describing/embelishing things.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Dragon Age 2

I've sat down, imported my save from Dragon Age Origins(or more accurately, from the end of Witch Hunt) and started the Journey. And right off the bat it's a bit different then Origins. It starts with a rather Hunky(and strangely beardless dwarf) named Varric being hauled into an interrogation room by a rather angry woman named Cassandra and questioned about "The Champion", which then leads to being plunged straight into a big battle with a ton of darkspawn before a fucking dragon shows up. The whole thing is interrupted by cassandra yelling at him and telling Varric to "TELL THE STORY RIGHT!", in that unreliable narrator way that I kind of dug, before resetting and explaining that Hawke and his family are(were) a group of refugees fleeing the destruction of lothering during the blight.

This is an interesting starting point of the game, and while the whole opening bit of trying to flee the horde through the blighted lands near the Kokari Wilds is basically a tunnel alternating with cutscenes and boss fights, it does give a view into how shit the blight really was for a lot of the common people of ferelden. The opening area looks like a fucking wasteland and darkspawn are everywhere. In origins mostly you'd have the map slowly turning a kinda nasty blackish color from the south heading north as the game progressed and the occasional random encounter, but none of them really showed much devastation and a lot of the damage to the blight was off screen. Denerim was the one on-screen exception(assuming you didn't let Redcliffe get razed) but mostly it was just people talking about how shit things were in much of the country.

It also punactues the fact this that this seems to be a more personal story based around Hawk and her family(I picked Mage Lady Hawke, because Snarky VA and I wanted to do a Mage but not have the Circle Origin) and how the blight basically changed their lives(and a lot of other lives forever). Faced with few other options, they flee to Kirkwall, the city of chains, somewhere to the North in the Free Marshes(though "Free" seems to be used very broadly here), where Mother is originally from before moving to Ferelden a while back. The family apparently has an estate there and friends, but once they arrive they find they have neither. In fact, the city is choked with Fereldener(?) refugees fleeing the blight and the locals aren't letting anyone else in leading to Hawke basically becoming an indentured servant to pay for a bribe for the family to enter.
Considering how much refugees fleeing from war torn(and climate damaged) regions of our world has become a massive political issue, this feels very relevant, probably a bit more then it was when the game came out.

Kirkwall itself is a very different beast then ferelden, being in a much more arid and rocky location closer to the equator, but also because was once the hub of a massive Slave Network to work the quarries that once fed the Monument building for the Treventitor Empire, until the Slaves revolted and burned down a lot of the city in protest. Even a millennium later it's still ominous and monolithic, with huge ziggraut-like temples and statues of slaves cowering and in pain everywhere which nobody has bothered to remove in the centuries since. It's a really interesting, in theory, setting and I've spent a decent time exploring the city once getting to actually wander around it after a Time Skip. Also, I'm gonna say, it kinda reminds me of the Slaver cities from GRR Martin's ASOIF books/Game of Thrones Series.

Even inside the (relative) safety of Kirkwall, the family is destitute living in a really shitty part of town(called "Lowtown" appropriately) in a hovel and has like a couple silvers to their name. The Uncle who was left lost the estate some time ago, apparently due to making a series of bad choices and is resentful of you moving in with him. This leads to Hawk and Carver, Hawke's brother, trying to get hired onto an expedition to the deep roads for the possibility of a lot of treasure to save the family and catching the attention of Varric, the aforementioned dwarf with a really cool...Automatic?...Crossbow that he named. But they need money to get in on the expedition, because Varric is giving them a chance to buy in as partners, so that means it's time to do a bunch of quests for experience and money.

Speaking of which, I find it interesting that Hawke agrees to a year of indentured servitude and then the game just skips that entire year to being paid off(and broke). It also feels wierd being this poor again because I ended Awakening having so much money I was just buying shit willy nilly just because I had the money to toss around, so why not buy all the healing potions I'll never fucking use. Now I'm broke and while there are plenty of shops I can't afford much of any of it, but that does integrate with the plot very neatly. The game does imply Hawke gained quite a reputation during the year working for the smugglers(I chose the smuggler elf lady over the mercenary dude and I have no idea if it matters at all in the long run) but you never see it and I kinda wish that had been part of the gameplay. I can only imagine the 18 months of total dev time probably had a lot ot do with it. In fact, I'm gonna assume that many if not most of the problems this game has are gonna be explainable by 18 months of dev time.

Also, the fact the entirety of Dragon Age Origins essentially happens during the time skip feels weird considering I just spent like 60-70 hours of my life playing events and stories that just went by in the blink of an eye.

That out of the way, the game looks a bit better than Origins. The character models look more fluid and "real" for the most part, even if some of them look a bit different then I remember. Flemeth, who makes a cameo really early on before her "Death", looks a wee bit different here, with horn-hair(?) and then there's the Elves who looks weirdly proportioned, like super skinny and it looks like maybe their shoulders don't exist or something? As mentioned above, it's weird and kinda offputting to look at.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's Varric, and man, I can understand why people talk about him so far. He probably put all his points into Charisma(what do you mean that's not a stat in Dragon Age?) and while I've never thought of myself as gay curious, I'd seriously consider it if Varric asked me to. Just saying. My wife would understand I'm sure.

But generally the games does look better and fortunately, not as browny muddled in the color palette. Unfortunately, most of the environments are still really brown so it's hard to notice and it feels like kind of a waste that they're not taking advantage of...wait, 18 month dev cycle, nevermind. Also, the codex entries feel like they're easier to read now. Thank god.

Gameplay feels like it's been streamlined a bit, with combat feels a bit faster and more and the skill upgrade system has been redone into trees inside of bars from origins. I have to check guides again for mage hawke because I'm sure skills have been rebalanced so not everything works the same as it did before. The combat is more fun to watch at any rate and at least the tactics system still seems to work as I remember so I can automate the people I'm not controlling.

I think that covers all my initial thoughts. To finish this off, I remembered Miracle of Sound did a song about DA2 a long, long time ago, so I'm gonna drop it here.
You're welcome.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
On the other side of the spectrum, there's Varric, and man, I can understand why people talk about him so far. He probably put all his points into Charisma(what do you mean that's not a stat in Dragon Age?) and while I've never thought of myself as gay curious, I'd seriously consider it if Varric asked me to. Just saying. My wife would understand I'm sure.
I'm sure he's open to threesome. But yeah Varric is great, bioware of that period was really good at making character between this and ME2 they have some really good one. The rest of the cast is not quite Varric level, but they're all fun in their own way (except rogue lady who I just find boring).

As far as skill/build for mage, the biggest question is what difficulty you play at. Higher (highest only?) friendly fire is on so that really affect what kind of spec you pick. Every class has 3 specialty but you end up picking 2 of them so its kinda pointless imo.

One way to build mage is to go full support, healer Hawke can keep your team alive trough anything, but they won't do any damage so you have to focus on buff (which mage has plenty). Also if you heal you don't have to bring the team dedicated healer, who can be divisive for plenty of reason.

As far as damage, the game encounter mostly work with lots of trash mob and one or two really dangerous enemy that can explode your character very quickly, so I tend to favor high DPS with some hard CC, so the stone and lighting tree is pretty good for that (fire and ice is better at AoE). ALthough no matter how you build your team, there's an active ability in the heal tree that boost all your team attack and that thing is amazing (plus you can use it out of combat to move around faster).

As for the initial choice of who get you in the city, no real difference, just a minor sidequest later on. Barring one big exception, your choice don't affect that much in the game, which is one big reason the ending suck.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I know hands are a bit of a bastard to get right, especially if you have to make allowances for animation... but fuck me, they look terrible.
It’s mostly not noticeable because 80% of the time they’re all wearing gloves and it seems to affect female models worse. Like look at Fem!Shep’s hand when she talking to Aria about the Blue Suns: it’s basically deformed.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
It’s mostly not noticeable because 80% of the time they’re all wearing gloves and it seems to affect female models worse. Like look at Fem!Shep’s hand when she talking to Aria about the Blue Suns: it’s basically deformed.
In DA2 it looks like they grabbed the hands from the general gameplay models and stuck them on the higher detail cinematic models...

And yes, for some gods-unknown-reason female hands are harder to make look decent. Apparently no one cares if a bloke has blocky, gnarled hams at the ends of their forearms.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, suffice it to say that the races are a bit more distinct in DA2. Elves got their proportions tweaked, and Qunari now have horns more often than not, with Sten being reimagined as being hornless due to a rare-ish phenotype (think 'red hair' frequency). The former gets dialed back a bit for Inquisition, so if it weirds you out, just think of the stylizations as being a product of how Varric's describing/embelishing things.

I heard the problem with sten was the helmet so they just got rid of his horns. Wierdly they removed all the qunari horns for the few you see in the game (mostly mooks)

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It'd be a shame if that was true because Awakening in some ways is better then the main game. Tighter, quicker to get to the point, has some interesting ideas(repairing the keep and fortifying it from further attack), etc. I enjoyed Origins but it feels rather padded in some places.
Huh, I didn't feel that way at all, I didn't care for Awakening much. So much so that I gave up after an hour and it took like 7 years for me to get around to forcing myself through the game. I found some of the new party member really irritating and ended up killing Anders and Howe Jr. on my initial attempt. Howe Jr. attempt to murder you and then ends up whinging at you until you make him a Grey Warden. Forget that, you get the rope!
Almost done but sadly didn't have time to finish the Expansion last night.

After arriving back at the Vigil and emptying out the useless shit from my inventory, I found a group of nobles complaining about the Darkspawn problem, which I've been trying to fix the whole time(except when running stupid errands for "orphans" and finding statues in the woods but anyways....) and this triggers the endgame, where the Darkspawn attack Aramanthine and you have to run off to save it, only to reach it and immediately be told the city is lost and the Keep is now under attack. Granted, that doesn't mean the city is actually lost or that there's nothing to be done here, because it's very much a binary choice. Stay in the city and help defend it from the Darkspawn or return to the Vigil and contribute to the defense there. The game seems to lean heavily on you going back to the Vigil by insisting "The city is lost and we need the keep" but I already spent 10 hours upgrading the keep and getting better equipment for the soldiers there. Not to mention a number of my party were left there to defend it.

Suffice it to say, Abandon the city and the city is screwed without a doubt. Protect the city and the Keep might survive if you did enough work beforehand. It really does feel like a dress rehearsal for the suicide mission in ME2 and Anders even uses the term verbatim. Especially where you can save everyone(or close to everyone) if you make the correct choices and put in the work beforehand.

So the city was saved and the keep is probably okay. There is a message from the keep at one point but the only news you get is "Not good" which honestly doesn't tell me much. What does "Not good" mean? Keep is under attack? Keep has fallen and everyone is dead? The guards ran out of beer to go with their chips? What?

It comes at a point you cant really do anything regardless because once the city is secured you're immediately sent to a new location to fight the Darkspawn in their lair and the keep is either going to stand or fall on it's own merits at that point. And so the last bit is a linear battle through a creepy dragon graveyard where different groups f Darkspawn are battling it out(of course you need to fight both of them). Also a high dragon for some reason because why not just toss another boss in there?

Eventually the Architect shows up and asks to explain himself, which I allowed him. Basically he explains he's responsible for making the Darkspawn intelligent and causing this whole mess because apparently it cuts them off from the voice of the old gods that compels them to burrow towards the old gods and cause blights. Which was not his intention. Apparently he wanted to end blights by letting darkspawn think and decide, but apparently it also caused the 5th blight in the process.

I am sympathetic to it's pleas, but OTOH, it's made a giant fucking mess of things every step of the way and most of the time it's servants have been just as dangerous as the normal Darkspawn. It claims it wanted to talk to the Wardens at Vigils keep which somehow got completely botched and turned into a slaughter. Even the disciple you meet at the top of the keep doesn't even attempt to talk, just murder you. If the Intelligent Darkspawn are meant to co-exist with everyone else, they're doing a really shit job at it considering they can't seem to understand the difference between "Talk to Grey Wardens" and "Murder Grey Wardens". And the mother's Darkspawn are worse. And while I haven't had a chance to chat with her yet, because I haven't gotten to the Mother(but that'll happen tonight for sure), honestly it's hard to ignore the fact because of what he did there's an insane Broodmother causing even more problems for everyone.

I guess the problem is that while in theory having intelligent darkspawn that were willing to co-exist would be a benefit to everyone, there hasn't been much of the "willingness to co-exist" on display and unfortunately, there was no way to discuss the problem of the Brood mothers with the Architect. You know, those things that birth more darkspawn, are apparently their only means to reproduction and involve kidnapping women to torture, rape, defile and mutate into darkspawn factories? Because I promise you that there's no fucking way anyone is tolerate that practice continuing, and it's debatable if anyone is going to tolerate the the bloodmothers even existing.

Basically, we're looking at something like the Krogan genophage situation again, where the only way to for Darkspawn to conceivably co-exist would be to cut off their means of reproduction more or less entirely, which I don't see the Darkspawn being okay with.

So yeah, I think everyone can guess my decision on allying with or killing the Architect. He might have prevented more blights. OTOH, he might have cocked it up yet again and caused the 6th one. Hell, apparently there's only 2 more of the old gods left aka two more possible blights and I have no idea what happens after the 7th blight happens or even if it's possible to do anything to weather them. Maybe it's buried in the codex somewhere.
I think the Architects plan for a peaceful coexistence is to make the entire population into Grey Wardens or something stupid like that. He's not really a good guy. That's what I remember from The Calling anyway (Tie-in novel by David Gaider, dealing with part of Duncan's backstory.)

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Not too much to report so far. Still exploring Kirkwall and picking up quests I've yet to complete. So far I've got a quest to go find a Grey Warden, to go to the bone pit to find out why the miners are disappearing, deliver something for flemeth to some elves and go ambush some bandits in the mountain for Aveline, in addition to "get paid".

I'm not really sure where these things are, since the map shows the main parts of kirkwall but not so much the outside areas(there's some icons in the corner but they don't tell me what those are). Also apparently there's an alienage somewhere around kirkwall as well but I've yet to find it. The only quest I've really completed is a romp through the estate basement to find Gamlen's will and oh....apparently everything was left to Mom and the Hawke siblings. Gamlen, you piece of shit. Yeah, I get he feels passed over(because he was) but still. I respect him asking the people staying with him to pay rent/food but him basically shitting away the estate still comes across as a bit shit.

Speaking of the Hovel, there's a room in there with a bunch of cool shit that presumably is part of the ultimate edition I bought for cheap and I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to have these in the base game due to breaking the difficulty curve. OTOH, I'm gonna use them anyway because the less time I need to spend visiting shops and playing inventory roulette the better, and the combat encounters seem to be "Throw waves of dudes at you", which doesn't really give me much reason to do anything other then find ways to end the fights faster. I may be basic but I'm here for the story and characters and this isn't dark souls combat where the fights are generally engaging.

There's also a fun quest where you meet one of the Harrowmonts and do an "escort" mission to protect him from Carta thugs sent to kill him on behalf of Bhelen, who has apparently been just murdering the shit out of the entire Harrowmont clan. Thanks Dragon Age. Thanks for showing me the consequences of my (well intentioned) actions.

One question does come up. Since I'm playing Mage Hawke there's some talk of the Templers being on the look out for Apostates and MageHawke trying to keep on the down low. Except then you can just stroll around Kirkwall with a Mage Staff on your back and hell, even walk around the big Chantry church in the center of town and nobody seems to bat an eye. So are they blind or do you have a "Not an Apostate" Card on you somewhere?