Dalisclock plays through the Dragon Age Trilogy and makes a lot of running commentary along the way. Spoilers abound.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Actually aside from Cassandra, the other three do fulfil important but distinct functions: Josephine is their diplomat so she's the one greasing palms, smoothing ruffled feathers and making contacts with all the right people. Cullen manages the main forces; drilling, arming, integrating, feeding, billetting: that is no small piece of work. And Lilliana of course handles intelligence, counter intelligence, and whatever passes for covert operations.
That gives me the impression Lilianna spends most of her time pulling some really unethical CIA/MI6 shit when you're not looking. Or maybe she does it in front of you later in the game.

It probably doesn't help I'm watching Andor right now and the Imperial Security Bureau really gets into that kind of shit onscreen so it's at the forefront of my mind.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That gives me the impression Lilianna spends most of her time pulling some really unethical CIA/MI6 shit when you're not looking. Or maybe she does it in front of you later in the game.
I mean, putting aside modernist writing lets be real: the setting is based upon one that we attribute with zero ethics in warfare. Pick a single thing you think ISB would do that Lilliana won't.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I mean, putting aside modernist writing lets be real: the setting is based upon one that we attribute with zero ethics in warfare. Pick a single thing you think ISB would do that Lilliana won't.
Based on her backstory and the impression of the seekers I have no doubt she'd do pretty much anything she felt would accomplish her mission.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
The character race is very rarely commented on in the game, like DA1. This make the choice of letting the player pick the Qunari race a bit strange since it a pretty big difference, although they sorta retcon that there's plenty of Qunari race people living outside the Qu and having perfectly normal life.
Well, yes and no. The big difference is in terms of dialogue and relationship options with female-elf-mage ending up as the combination with the most choices for dialogue and romance. There is some stuff going on in the background, though. I remember stumbling across a letter from some random guy in the inquisition to...I think it was his father (who was evidently cross about his kid's involvement). Among other things in it, the guy chastised his father and mused that it was likely no accident that the Herald was an elf (in my game), as they were some of Andraste's most staunch allies, and the Maker could well be trying to send a message reminding the modern (now-ungrateful) Chantry of that fact. Not sure how that one reads for a Vashoth like Dalisclock is playing.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
While I remember,

Netlix is doing a Dragon Age series starting Next Month. Were going to Tevinter, boys!

And back to DAI, Miracle of Sound did a pretty rocking Power Ballad for the game.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
While I remember,

Netlix is doing a Dragon Age series starting Next Months. We going to Tevinter, boys!

And back to DAI, Miracle of Sound did a pretty rocking Power Ballad for the game.

There was also this ditty, I made the mistake of parting with hard currency for it, and while its not awful by any measure the animation is really cheap and the plot a bit outrageous. But its about Cassandra so it gets points there, and promptly loses them because it puts her in an anime mini skirt for some reason.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

There was also this ditty, I made the mistake of parting with hard currency for it, and while its not awful by any measure the animation is really cheap and the plot a bit outrageous. But its about Cassandra so it gets points there, and promptly loses them because it puts her in an anime mini skirt for some reason.
I saw that was a thing but I didn't want to spend anything to watch it. I guess I didn't miss much. If I had paid to watch Redemption I would have been annoyed but for free it was okay.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I saw that was a thing but I didn't want to spend anything to watch it. I guess I didn't miss much. If I had paid to watch Redemption I would have been annoyed but for free it was okay.
Well some of the backstory IS interesting, so if you can watch it for free on YouTube or something its probably okay.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Well some of the backstory IS interesting, so if you can watch it for free on YouTube or something its probably okay.

I did spot a 90 min video of it on YouTube and it seems to work for at least the first few minutes so I'll check it out when I have time

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Got a couple hours last night because I was lucky enough to be able to work from home again(Hooray). I did a couple quests around Haven, which is a nice little home base considering it was pretty much commandeered by the survivors of the Conclave explosion and apparently was flat out abandoned until a couple years ago after all the cultist slaughter the warden did(I should feel bad about that, but I really don't because they were violent xenophobic creeps and the world is likely better off without them). It feels like an evolution of the camp in Origins and VIgils Keep in Awakening(DA2 didn't really have a hub area, Hawke's house didn't really work this way) but the atmosphere feels like it works as an actual place where people live and work, especially as a very ad hoc base for the inquisition. Aftering exploring for a bit, I got to meet pretty much everyone outside of cutscenes(except Cassandra and Leliana, and I don't know where they hang out when not in the War Room).

I do like Josephine having her own little office/room in the chantry, which has been turned into the Inquisition's HQ. Also, the Chantry has a dungeon below it, which I'm both disturbed and not at all shocked by considering. At least nobody is currently held down there....yet. Also, BIOWARE FINALLY FIGURED OUT SITTING ANIMATIONS! People do more then just stand in place forever while waiting to go somewhere!

Oh, and the War Room is now available, which is an interesting concept and so far I kind of like it. It gives the impression of being able to delegate operations to others not unlike how some of the earlier AC games did it with sending agents all over the place to take care of shit you didn't have time for, though I can see how some of them just resolve with some text, a picture and a reward, though apparently some of them are different depending on which advisor(Cullen for military stuff, Leliana for Spy stuff, Josephine for Diplomacy stuff) you assign to the role.

I noticed there is a real time delay associated with them, which ATM isn't bad because they aren't very long 15/20 min. I normally don't more then an 1-2 hours a day to play so even the longer ones probably won't matter too much as long as I hit the War Room first off. Or just mod the game to get rid of the time delays when it gets obnoxious. I've already got the Frosty mod manager in place with some QoL mods(Faster looting, better sonar ping, better loot tables because fuck grinding) so that shouldn't be too much trouble. The faster looting one is already paying dividends not having to spend several seconds waiting for Qunari Morgan to fondle all the corpses for loot. At least the game seems a lot more controllable with my controller and switching between tactical and regular gameplay mode in combat.

With that done, went over to the Hinterlands and by god does this game look really good now that I can see some fucking color. It's also kinda cool seeing the Inquisition's advance camp in the area after you scout out the region via the war table(with it's own little cutscene). I'm really starting to see the SP MMO thing now, with being given a ton of quests, some of which look important(Clear the crossroads and talk to the chantry healer to recruit her, find the horsemaster) and a lot of which sound like they might be important but have the "Find X thing" goal, which I have to remind myself means I should probably avoid unless I really need the XP or something. I can see the "Establish new camps" as a worthwhile goal because those act as fast travel points and resupply depots and there aren't many of those, but I have to remind myself that those "We need food" and "We need blankets" for the refugees is just a ruse to make me go collect 20 bear asses or some shit and they're just little computer people who don't actually starve or freeze regardless of what I do and it's unlikely there will be any actual repercussions of me doing these collection quests or not. Also, after about an hour of the Hinterlands, I can totally see why "Get the fuck out of the Hinterlands" is a thing. I have enough Power Points(which I'm not quite sure what that actually does, nor influence for that matter) to go to Val Royeaux and annoy the Clergy (And frankly, I'm always up for annoying the Clergy, no matter what the context).

On that note, playing a Qunari Mage(and a Merc to boot) provides an interesting roleplay opportunity. While not a following of the Qun, It's easy enough to play my Inquisitor as someone who was literally just there on a private security gig (which I think is the canonical backstory for the Qunari character), somehow avoided getting blown up with everyone else and is now being seen as the fucking Messiah by a bunch of poor refugees and a dangerous Heretic by the chantry and a bunch of other people. Aside from being an Apostate, of course. So asking a bunch of seemingly dumb questions about the chantry and such feels in character, and also going with the "Seriously, I was here as a security guard for the conclave and I wasn't supposed to be invovled in ANY OF THIS and I don't like this groveling shit" line works pretty well, especially since nobody seems to be taking the Inquisition very seriously either right now either(at least not among the big powers in Thedas, anyway).

Last edited:

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
On that note, playing a Qunari Mage(and a Merc to boot) provides an interesting roleplay opportunity. While not a following of the Qun, It's easy enough to play my Inquisitor as someone who was literally just there on a private security gig (which I think is the canonical backstory for the Qunari character), somehow avoided getting blown up with everyone else and is now being seen as the fucking Messiah by a bunch of poor refugees and a dangerous Heretic by the chantry and a bunch of other people. Aside from being an Apostate, of course. So asking a bunch of seemingly dumb questions about the chantry and such feels in character, and also going with the "Seriously, I was here as a security guard for the conclave and I wasn't supposed to be invovled in ANY OF THIS and I don't like this groveling shit" line works pretty well, especially since nobody seems to be taking the Inquisition very seriously either right now either(at least not among the big powers in Thedas, anyway).
Honestly, there are a lot of fun roleplaying opportunities regardless. As previously mentioned, my character was an elven mage, meaning that she was Dalish, and the First to her clan's keeper. And as you well know at this point, the Dalish are very big on trying to reclaim the lost elven culture and religion, which made it very easy to play her as skeptical of the claims about her but reluctantly playing along because...well, too much is at stake to compromise the Inquisition with petty theological arguments. She wasn't a believer, and made no secret of the fact, but she always had to be tactful and diplomatic about it...which I think fits her prior life as her clan's First incredibly well. Better, this let me seemlessly play her as a humble/reluctant hero. She accepts her role in the Inquisition but is openly uncomfortable with everyone assuming that she's a figure of great theological significance in a religion that she doesn't believe...and all the while there's this nagging "what if" uncomfortably gnawing at the back of her mind...

The 'Herald' bit is actually probably the best inciting incident in the franchise thus far simply because of how it lets you constantly carry it forward through (deceptively flexible) roleplay in a way that you couldn't do with the origins in...well, Origins or the the prologue of DA2.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Honestly, there are a lot of fun roleplaying opportunities regardless. As previously mentioned, my character was an elven mage, meaning that she was Dalish, and the First to her clan's keeper. And as you well know at this point, the Dalish are very big on trying to reclaim the lost elven culture and religion, which made it very easy to play her as skeptical of the claims about her but reluctantly playing along because...well, too much is at stake to compromise the Inquisition with petty theological arguments. She wasn't a believer, and made no secret of the fact, but she always had to be tactful and diplomatic about it...which I think fits her prior life as her clan's First incredibly well. Better, this let me seemlessly play her as a humble/reluctant hero. She accepts her role in the Inquisition but is openly uncomfortable with everyone assuming that she's a figure of great theological significance in a religion that she doesn't believe...and all the while there's this nagging "what if" uncomfortably gnawing at the back of her mind...

The 'Herald' bit is actually probably the best inciting incident in the franchise thus far simply because of how it lets you constantly carry it forward through (deceptively flexible) roleplay in a way that you couldn't do with the origins in...well, Origins or the the prologue of DA2.
I was tempted to play another elf in this game, but I played an elf rogue in Origins already so I figured, why not try something a little different? And for whatever reason playing a dwarf right now doesn't really seem to be that interesting to me. Maybe if on replay of this or Origins, but it's gonna be a while considering I've invested about 100 hours so far and probbly another 50 to go with this one.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think DA2 bad reputation stem mostly from its initial impression which aren't that great (imo a lot of opinion you hear are actually just people who played the first couple of hours).
I disagree, I think much of DA2's bad reputation comes from its final impressions, which also are not great because the game is rushed and padded, and just not very good.
Letting the player call the shoot just because they have the glowing hand is just typical game logic, it makes no sense but people probably wouldn't like it if they were starting at the bottom of the ladder and climbing up, so your the boss, it's probably an overcorrection to DA2 middling reception.
Can't comment on Inquisition too much because I never played it, but I hate when games make you "the boss" in name only and give you a couple trifling decisions to make, while in reality your supposed subordinates spend most of the game telling you what to do. Frankly, unless you are making a strategy game where the player gets to make longterm and impactful decisions, don't even pretend that they are in charge, because it just ends up patronizing.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I disagree, I think much of DA2's bad reputation comes from its final impressions, which also are not great because the game is rushed and padded, and just not very good.
I don't think enough people make it that far.
Can't comment on Inquisition too much because I never played it, but I hate when games make you "the boss" in name only and give you a couple trifling decisions to make, while in reality your supposed subordinates spend most of the game telling you what to do. Frankly, unless you are making a strategy game where the player gets to make longterm and impactful decisions, don't even pretend that they are in charge, because it just ends up patronizing.
That's 100% inquisition, to a rediculous extant because Leliana is the writer self insert character so she get a bunch a big cut scene moment that really should be the player.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
DA2 did a lot of things badly or in a rather mediocre matter though generally the character stuff is handled well and the overall plot is good if the pacing being too slow at the start and too rushed at the end. Noah Gervais argued that it might have worked better as a Big Budget TV series considering the gameplay is generally mediocre and the plot is fairly linear with only a few points where decisions change anything. Honestly, he's probably right but then it might not have been made at all. I guess in a perfect world where we could have had one or the other I would have taken the TV series covering the same ground but then again in a perfect world DA2 world have gotten like twice the Dev time and probably at least one more DLC to cover the Exalted March on Kirkwall as planned.

Right now the Inquisitor is mostly there as a symbol as the HERALD OF ANDRESTE and because she has a magic rift sealing glowy hand. Also because the Inquisition is pretty short handed and can take everyone who is willing to join. It is lampshaded since you can occasionally ask "Why are you asking me?" when given some of this decision making because it sounds like nobody else really knows what to do either and Cassandra and Leliana presumably can't agree or some such despite having worked together for at least a few years now.

It's shaky and videogamey to be sure. They're leaning really hard on the power vacuum after the conclave blew up(THIS IS WHY YOU CHECK FOR GAS LEAKS, PEOPLE), LadyPope and everyone who could be the next LadyPope were killed and the Templars and Mages both being AWOL, Orlais being in the middle of a Civil War(or so they say because I barely know what's going in with that) and Ferelden is apparently still recovering from the blight nearly a decade layer so the Inqusition is stepping in to fill the gap and.....why not? It sounds like most if not all of Thedas was in Turmoil even before someone opened a giant tear in the veil near Haven and the Inquisitor is getting held up as a beacon of hope in a shitty shitty time. Considering how much people tend to gravitate towards celebrity and famous people IRL I can at least respect that bit of it, especially in a religious setting where someone has had a bonafide(allegedly) religious experience like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drathnoxis

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Finished a few quests in the Hinterlands before booking it the fuck out of there. To Satisfy the horsemaster I had to do some favors for his friends and family. One was a simple "Wolves are harassing us and it's not normal. Please kill them" kind of thing while the other was a bit more interesting. To increase security around the area, it's mentioned that putting up a few watchtowers to spot incoming raids would be very helpful and the quest is going to a few spots on the map and marking them with your magic...marking stick thingy that you seem to pull out of your ass(don't think about that too much). However, once that's done you have to go to the War Room(Yes, I know it's called the War Table but I'm gonna keep calling it the War Room because I like the Dr. Strangelove Reference far too much) and order an advisor to build the watchtowers, which is a nice touch to be sure.

WIth that done and allocating my advisors to more missions, I went ahead and took a vacation to Val Royeaux in France Orlais (If they didn't want me to call it France, they shouldn't have made it so French, just saying) and well, I guess I was expecting a little bit more. It's the Capitol of Orlais, but also the head of the Southern Chantry at the same time, so it's like Paris and Rome combined, and yet all that's really shown in game(as far as I can tell) is a square near the entrance with a bunch of gates leading away from it. I know Denerim in DAO really wasn't much bigger as far as gameplay space was concerned but it gave the illusion of being bigger, even if much of it was back alleys and interior spaces such as the oft used Howe Estate which I felt like I got to know very, very well for as many times as I visited it during the base game and DLC. I knew it wasn't much before I got there but I'm still a little disappointed they didn't put more effort into making it seem more expansive then a marketplace.

Thankfully there's more substance narratively. Upon arriving I find out there are Chantry and Templars there to meet me, though at first it's a couple Chantry members calling me and the inquistion out, only for the Templers to enter stage right and deck the lead chanter before saying he's basicly taking the Templars and fucking off to god knows where, leaving Orlais unprotected. So not much new there. I have a talk with the chanter who got a punch to the face who says they're pretty much screwed with the Templars abandoning them but does give me some comforting words that me trying to seal the breach is more then anyone else is really trying to do at this point. It does come across as a bit narmy because during this entire conversation the Chanter is lying on the ground where she fell like she's mortally wounded and one of the others is praying over her and....I mean, I get it, getting punched in the face by a big guy wearing a metal glove is painful, but I don't think it's life threatening and you'd think she would have least gotten up to a sitting position or something, not just lie where she feel. Especially since she's able to hold a 5 minute conversation articulately so it doesn't sound like she's got brain damage or something.

I poke around the shops a bit, find a wierdo who is offering a mystery box for a sit ton of money and bragging how nobody can afford it and somehow he profits from this, but apparently the whole point is someone being rich enough to afford it as a status symbol or something. I'm pretty sure the box is something incredibly worthless so I doubt I'll be wasting the money on it at any point. Anyway, I find a bunch of notes from the "Friends of Red Jenny" and I bite, finding a mage who is more forthcoming about being willing to help then the templars were(which is to say at all) and I assume these were related anyway. Right afterwards I get attacked by mercs in the alleys until meeting an elf Rogue named Sera who seems quite interested in joining up. I recognize the name and it's really obvious she's a recruitment option, but....she's "interesting". The whole demeaner and the fact she's apparently the only Cockney(Is that cockney? Am I getting that correct?) in Thedas is something. I'm not sure how I feel about her but fuck, we're desperate for recruits so I tell her she can join. I can always leave her happy ass at base if need be.

After that I respond to an invitation to an Estate nearby from Vivienne, who turns out to be an Orlesian Noble and "Last Loyal Mage". which is interesting that she says she supports the circle but is also not living in a tower or under Templar guard, but rather her posh ass estate. Sadly we don't get to explore much of it getting pulled into a conversation upon arriving immediately upon arriving and considering I walked my Qunari Mage ass wearing my adventuring clothes in, I get surprisingly little shit from the Patrician boys and girls strutting around the place. I get a bunch of NotFrench Court politics dumped on me in 5 minutes and then some jerk wanders over to me, insults me and then gets magicked by the Lady of the House, Vivienne before asking me whether he should live or die because of his rudeness, not only to me but also to her. I say I don't care, she lets him ago and then tells me he's effectively disgraced in Society for this Faux Pas and he'll probably go join a crusade to either win back his honor or get himself killed, which is a fascinating intro to the crazy court politics of Orlais so yes, I take her up on her offer to join the Inquisition because having her around should be interesting. Also she has a really cool horned hat for some reason.

With all this done I go back to Haven and find out the Grey Wardens, both in Orlais and Ferelden, have all gone missing(and the end of previous game said the Warden from DAO is also missing). Considering what happened in the Legacy DLC of DA2....this is probably very, very bad. Also there seems to be a Grey Warden named Blackwell on the Storm coast who IIRC is another companion I can recruit.

So a decent amount of narrative heft here, two characters recruited, I've unlocked the storm coast in a couple hours. Still not exactly sure how power points work but apparently it's a story gating mechanic because war room operations that require power seem to have more interesting things happen so far. I also stopped to talk to varric in Haven and he clarifies a few things about the last game when asked. Notably the Qunari apparently disavowed the Arishok because he did not have permission to launch his attack on Kirkwall and a brief update on what happened to all the companions, which was nice.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
DA2 did a lot of things badly or in a rather mediocre matter though generally the character stuff is handled well and the overall plot is good if the pacing being too slow at the start and too rushed at the end. Noah Gervais argued that it might have worked better as a Big Budget TV series considering the gameplay is generally mediocre and the plot is fairly linear with only a few points where decisions change anything. Honestly, he's probably right but then it might not have been made at all. I guess in a perfect world where we could have had one or the other I would have taken the TV series covering the same ground but then again in a perfect world DA2 world have gotten like twice the Dev time and probably at least one more DLC to cover the Exalted March on Kirkwall as planned.
Personally, I didn't care much for the characters of DA2, apart from Varric of course. They didn't feel as interesting or well developed as in DAO, and I missed the ability to just chat with them any time at camp.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Recruited a couple more party members. Found Blackwell in the hills above the crossroads of the hinterlands and, I mean, he's allegedly a grey warden but doesn't seem to have a clue what happened to the rest of them. Granted, the only evidence we have that he's a grey warden is that he says he is, but it's not like I can throw him at some darkspawn at the moment to determine if he's the genuine article so I recruited him.

After getting a message in Haven, I went to the Storm coast and met Iron Bull, a big boy Qunari(like I think he's bigger then the Arishok) with an eyepatch who runs his own mercenary company and he's offering to help the Inquisition. Interestingly, right off the Bat he tells me he's Ben Hassarath, the Qunari religious police and spies. Which is odd but he tells me he is going to send reports to keep his bosses happy, but he's also going to share intelligence with me. He also mentions part of the reason he's doing this is that the breach is bad for everyone and hints if the Inquisition can't handle this, the Qunari might invade to make sure the job gets done, which most people don't want. So a lot to unpack there. I grill him but decide to let him to join because, again, we need all the help we can get, the Breach is the biggest threat right now and well, having another Qunari on staff would be interesting.

Back at camp, I do talk to him for a bit, which reveals some interesting nuggets of info, like clarifying the "Qunari" race and religion aren't the same, even he doesn't seem to know the actual race name and the Qunari came from the North...for some reason, a while back. Notably, talking to him as a Qunari Herald has him saying "No, you're not a Qunari, you're Tal-Vashoth", or essentially an Apostate Qunari(as opposed to an Apostate mage, which is basically you don't have the Templars bossing you around), despite, you know, never having actually followed the Qun. Pressing him on this, he says "Well, you and your parents aren't bandits causing problems, so you're not the Tal-Vashoth I have a problem with". While my Herald was canonically a merc, I mean, so is Iron Bull. You can have some discussion with him about the Qun and Qunari and he's a lot easier to talk with about it then Tallis, who defaults to just pretending the problematic issues of the Qun just don't exist when she's pressed on it. No idea if Tallis even shows up again in this game but it would be interesting to see if she's changed.

Not much beyond that, but it does appear I'm going to have to pick sides between the Mages and Templars at some point in the near future and based on the Templar quest I don't quite have the power needed for yet(Champions of the Just), picking either side means I can't work with the other one and unlike in the previous game, I don't feel like I know enough to really want to pick a side here. I've finally gotten some background on what happened between games but I also had to look shit up on the wiki to get any real detail on it, and apparently I was expected to read like 2 novels for homework instead of just laying it out that some circles got purged completely, the mages declared independence from the Chantry, the Divine told the Templars to back off a little and then they rebelled too and because of the Conclave explosion now the Chantry is effectively decapitated and can't control anything at this point. Even then I'm not sure I've got everything for a series that's fairly good at worldbuilding I feel like they're falling down on their job here. It doesn't help that the Mage Templar war that Anders effectively kicked off pretty much all seems to happen offscreen and what we see here are little skirmishes here and there.

So yeah, not really sure who I want to back here or how long I have before I have to decide to push the plot forward, but I need some power points first and I unlocked a swampy area now to explore, so we'll see what happens.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Recruited a couple more party members. Found Blackwell in the hills above the crossroads of the hinterlands and, I mean, he's allegedly a grey warden but doesn't seem to have a clue what happened to the rest of them. Granted, the only evidence we have that he's a grey warden is that he says he is, but it's not like I can throw him at some darkspawn at the moment to determine if he's the genuine article so I recruited him.

After getting a message in Haven, I went to the Storm coast and met Iron Bull, a big boy Qunari(like I think he's bigger then the Arishok) with an eyepatch who runs his own mercenary company and he's offering to help the Inquisition. Interestingly, right off the Bat he tells me he's Ben Hassarath, the Qunari religious police and spies. Which is odd but he tells me he is going to send reports to keep his bosses happy, but he's also going to share intelligence with me. He also mentions part of the reason he's doing this is that the breach is bad for everyone and hints if the Inquisition can't handle this, the Qunari might invade to make sure the job gets done, which most people don't want. So a lot to unpack there. I grill him but decide to let him to join because, again, we need all the help we can get, the Breach is the biggest threat right now and well, having another Qunari on staff would be interesting.

Back at camp, I do talk to him for a bit, which reveals some interesting nuggets of info, like clarifying the "Qunari" race and religion aren't the same, even he doesn't seem to know the actual race name and the Qunari came from the North...for some reason, a while back. Notably, talking to him as a Qunari Herald has him saying "No, you're not a Qunari, you're Tal-Vashoth", or essentially an Apostate Qunari(as opposed to an Apostate mage, which is basically you don't have the Templars bossing you around), despite, you know, never having actually followed the Qun. Pressing him on this, he says "Well, you and your parents aren't bandits causing problems, so you're not the Tal-Vashoth I have a problem with". While my Herald was canonically a merc, I mean, so is Iron Bull. You can have some discussion with him about the Qun and Qunari and he's a lot easier to talk with about it then Tallis, who defaults to just pretending the problematic issues of the Qun just don't exist when she's pressed on it. No idea if Tallis even shows up again in this game but it would be interesting to see if she's changed.

Not much beyond that, but it does appear I'm going to have to pick sides between the Mages and Templars at some point in the near future and based on the Templar quest I don't quite have the power needed for yet(Champions of the Just), picking either side means I can't work with the other one and unlike in the previous game, I don't feel like I know enough to really want to pick a side here. I've finally gotten some background on what happened between games but I also had to look shit up on the wiki to get any real detail on it, and apparently I was expected to read like 2 novels for homework instead of just laying it out that some circles got purged completely, the mages declared independence from the Chantry, the Divine told the Templars to back off a little and then they rebelled too and because of the Conclave explosion now the Chantry is effectively decapitated and can't control anything at this point. Even then I'm not sure I've got everything for a series that's fairly good at worldbuilding I feel like they're falling down on their job here. It doesn't help that the Mage Templar war that Anders effectively kicked off pretty much all seems to happen offscreen and what we see here are little skirmishes here and there.

So yeah, not really sure who I want to back here or how long I have before I have to decide to push the plot forward, but I need some power points first and I unlocked a swampy area now to explore, so we'll see what happens.

One thing about the Templar and Mages choice, is that you can do a bunch of pre-requisite quests for BOTH sides to get more information before committing; if I could remember what the cutoff points were I'd tell you but I can't so I recommend looking them up. Also, talk to Vivienne about it, she has a wealth of information since she was both the head of Montismard Circle AND Court Enchanter of Orlais.