"Damn I used to be stupid."

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I remember giving a girl 3rd and 4th chance. Whenever I think back signs are clear that I never should have asked her out in the first place. Great person, yet terrible girlfriend.

..and I used to think gay meant stupid instead of homosexuality. There's that.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I thought stick figures were genuinely too little used in comics, I got myself banned from this certain animation forum at the age of 13 for causing too much ruckus, and I had toy trains tangled in my hair multiple times.

Also, I thought taking out 10 loans on Sim City 4 was an effective way to earn money.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Can't remember exactly if I've done something particularly stupid, per se, as I was a somewhat sensible kid. But any time I think back to what I was like in junior high I just want to invent a time machine and tell that smug angsty bastard to get over himself. Until I remember that I used to be that person myself and go "shut up" to myself.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Tony Hawk's Under Ground
I recently began playing this game again in a craze of nastalgia, held up quite well, except for the characters I created. Guys with neon backwards trucker hats, baggy basketball shirts, and clown shoes.

Dafuq, younger me?
I guess it isn't really stupid, well besides the fact that I believed it was cool, but still... dafuq.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
uchytjes said:
I'm sure most of you have felt this way at one point or another. You have a sudden flashback to childhood/teenage years and think "Was I really stupid enough to do/believe that?" So, why not share the things that, looking back, were really, REALLY dumb.

It was freshman year. I was at my first (maybe second) marching band contest. I was eating the supper that was given out to us when this girl came up and sat next to me. We talked for a while while we ate our food. (memory goes a little hazy here, because time, but it should be somewhat accurate) She suddenly says "(her name) likes you." me, being an inexperienced idiot, did not realize that she was trying to be cute and was talking in the third person. Because of this, I thought she was referring to another girl in the same grade with the same name. Seeing as I did not particularly like the other girl simply replied "that's interesting" and then we finished our respective dinners in silence.

I look back on that day realizing what an idiot I was. Well, I guess I can be glad that me and the girl went on to become great friends throughout the rest of high school. Still was quite the shame because she was quite the cute girl.
So, what have you done/said in the past that you think is exceptionally dumb.
When I was 12, I thought I would act stupidly in the future (during puberty). When I was 14, I realized that I was stupid the past two years. When I was 16, I realized I was stupid two years prior. Here at 19, I have finally realized...

That I was stupid two years prior and that I will continue to be stupid as I am a human and humans are stupid.

I never said stupid that much in such quick succession. It doesn't even sound like a word anymore.

God I am stupid.
You're 2 years ahead of schedule for realizing you're stupid, that means you're getting smarter... or dumber... I'm too stupid to tell the difference at this point.

It's hard to pick one since pretty much most of my time before the second year of high school is a testament to how stupid I used to be.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I've always been a little more trusting than most people I know, which also means I'm pretty gullible too. As a kid, and even now, though I've learned how to better realize when I'm being taken advantage of since those days. I don't really think of my young self as "dumb" so much as "inexperienced."

The weird part is, while I often got burned due to my childhood naivete, instead of becoming more cynical like many of my childhood friends, I've actually become FAR nicer and friendlier than I ever was a kid. Hell, I can remember some cases where I was just a straight bully to some kids for no real reason. Now, I try to be kind to everyone I know, and I try to think of every person, regardless of "group," as a person.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Ldude893 said:
Also, I thought taking out 10 loans on Sim City 4 was an effective way to earn money.
I totally did that in SimCity 3000 when I was 8 or so. Then I'd have no idea why I'd ended up §60,000 in debt or how I could stop it from happening. I think I even managed to get fired once, having -§100,000 in my city's coffers.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
Do you want to hear something cringewothy that happened to me? Here is the sequence of events in order.

1. Me and a cute girl are chatting it up and walking to our respective homes after school
2. Said cute girl says something along the lines of "Hey it's REALLY hot out here! Can I chill in your house for a bit? Maybe get something to drink? ; )" in a flirtatious manner
3. I say "Sure of course!" bring her to my house (which is parent-free for at least another hour and a half), give her a cup of cold water, and then send her on her merry way. All the while I have an oblivious smile on my face while she looks dazed and disappointed.
4. I don't realize what has happened until it's too late.
You wanna know the worst part? This happened multiple times. The same way. With 3 different girls. By the time I'd figured out what had happened the girl had either moved away or transferred schools.

The first moral of this story is that fellas shouldn't be borderline retarded when a girl is coming onto them. The second is that it would be awesome if ladies would outright say "Hey! Let's do the horizontal tango!"

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
JoshTheREfan said:
Do you want to hear something cringewothy that happened to me? Here is the sequence of events in order.

1. Me and a cute girl are chatting it up and walking to our respective homes after school
2. Said cute girl says something along the lines of "Hey it's REALLY hot out here! Can I chill in your house for a bit? Maybe get something to drink? ; )" in a flirtatious manner
3. I say "Sure of course!" bring her to my house (which is parent-free for at least another hour and a half), give her a cup of cold water, and then send her on her merry way. All the while I have an oblivious smile on my face while she looks dazed and disappointed.
4. I don't realize what has happened until it's too late.
You wanna know the worst part? This happened multiple times. The same way. With 3 different girls. By the time I'd figured out what had happened the girl had either moved away or transferred schools.

The first moral of this story is that fellas shouldn't be borderline retarded when a girl is coming onto them. The second is that it would be awesome if ladies would outright say "Hey! let's do the horizontal tango!"
Oh God, I know how that is. The one girl that I really liked in high school, who happened to be my best friend's sister, would use any chance I would hang out with my friend in order to hang out with me. One time this involved hanging at my house, parentless, for over 2 hours. She would always sit practically on my arm, would make comments about the things we were doing adding a slight sexual tone to it, and even kept her hand on my thigh slowly moving it. I realized what she was doing almost immediately, but being an awkward, virginal, "nice guy", I would ignore it out of me being chivalrous and not knowing what to do (especially the latter). By the time I figured it out, the parents were home and she had knocked the very obvious flirting off. This ended up being our relationship throughout the whole freshman year. No, nothing ever happened, but knowing how she ended up being, I'm kinda glad, you know, the whole "don't stick your dick in crazy" thing (although we are good friends now, her time in high-school was... interesting).

I have a lot of these crazy stupid things that I've done, and I frequently will hurt myself over them. The sheer amount of them in my short life is mind boggling. However, the worst one I can think of is the time I pretended to be my own girlfriend on the internet.

As a project for a paper in school, I went to my favorite forums at the time (on GameFAQs, for those interested) and signed up for a new account, and created an account and announced myself as a new member of these forums, as a female user, in order to see exactly what this was like. I was too immature at the time for this undertaking. Not only did I do the intro WAY too horribly, but then when I got angry at the reception I received (go on, guess) I hopped on with my main account to defend myself. What did I do or say? Instead of being the "nice guy" and defending or even saying anything like "yo, she's my sister, cut some slack", I had to claim I knew she was a girl because she was my girlfriend. While this worked and we lived with this arrangement for a while, when the event in the above paragraph happened and I thought I was getting a real girlfriend, I announced the truth. Permanent exile for me is an understatement. I don't go back to that board any more.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
I'm 16,and when i look back to when i was(insert age here),i realize what a dumbass i was,i am sure when i turn older i will think the same,i just hope i don't do as much stupid shit these days as i did back then
Right now,i can remember 2 examples

When i was like 5,my mom and my mom's aunt(what is that called?) were going to go buy me something,for some reason my mom's aunt hands me the money we were going to use(around 20$),i thought if i cut it in half i would be able to use it twice

My mom has a replica of the katana from Kill Bill,with actual sharpness,about 3 years ago we had bunnies in our yard,i often gave them carrots...that were cut apart via katana
One time i held the katana wrong and ended up cutting my left pointer finger almost to the bone
The worst part is,i actually felt proud of it(having a katana scar)for some time,actually,i felt proud of it until i wrote this message

Man,i'm still a dumbass

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
alfinchkid said:
Well hey at least you made me feel a little better. Damn us and our stupidity around the opposite sex! As for the GFAQS thing... well hey we've all done something silly in forums n' such, right?
Daveman said:
Well. I remember getting asked out by a girl I used to sit next to in class. We got on pretty well but I didn't fancy her. Anyway, I start panicking about how my rejection will upset her and I don't know what to say. She gives me the weekend to think about it. Over this weekend I'm stressing massively as to how to put it and it starts invading my sleep.

Anyway, I come back on monday and give her my answer, "no". Unfortunately I somehow felt the need to extrapolate how difficult it was for me to decide. My wording, "thinking about it gave me nightmares", could have been better to say the least and resulted in the end of the friendship.
I hope you find solace in the fact that your post made me laugh. :D I've always thought that the best screw-ups are the ones that you can eventually find the humor in.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
I don't remember any drastic foibles. At least this is in terms how I few myself mentally inebriated all the time.

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
Ha, this is really funny! So I grew up in the 80's/early 90's (I was 10-ish then). MTV actually played music videos and Madonna had this one outfit, this cone bra thingy. I used to think she really could fill that thing out for real. "Man she really must have pointy breastez!"
Oddly enough the stupid thing sold for 52,000 dollars at an auction last year....

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I can look back to older posts on this site, and see my own stupidity. I've done a lot of socially inept things in the past that make my skin crawl when I think about them.

I don't get sad because of it though, it just makes me feel better about who I've become.

Abomination said:
I used to be a Christian.

I used to think homosexuals were freaks.
Yeah I was guilty of both of those as well. Although, I'm not particularly ashamed of the Christian part.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
MrMixelPixel said:
Abomination said:
I used to be a Christian.

I used to think homosexuals were freaks.
Yeah I was guilty of both of those as well. Although, I'm not particularly ashamed of the Christian part.
I was, not because of the Christianity specifically but being duped into believing in something that would essentially demand my money every Sunday with false promises.