Dark and Gritty VS Cartoony. Diablo 3's aesthetic. Thoughts?

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I don't get the phrase "cartoony" We need a better word.

Cartoons are usually hand drawn animated television shows with whacky, silly characters that brim with energy and comedic flair.

NOTHING about video games has as of yet, resembled this in the slightest. Having BRIGHTER colors instead of DARKER colors in a game doesn't make it silly, comedic or "less cool". It makes it bloody easier to see, and less bland.

HOWEVER, some people like bland in their dark gritty atmospheres, and I think personally that Diablo 3 would look better resembling D2, instead of Torchlight.

Two different games, both very fun... Diablo 2 and Torchlight.

Once again.... the word cartoony needs to go, among many other brainless insults like:

dumbed down (made convenient = requires less intelligence? not true, and definitely NEVER what developers are aiming for)

BoogityBoogityMan

Jan 26, 2012
The Cool Kid said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Do you think any of the concept work for Gears of War was cubism or impressionism?
Damn, now I want to play Cubist Gears of War, that would be trippy.

Also, the best companies don't give their customers what they want. They give their customers something that they didn't know they wanted, and that they will want more than anything they have owned or that is currently on the market. You know, like what apple did to the portable music player market, or pixar did with kiddie cartoons.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Oh my god, now he's an expert on 40K is he? This is fucking hilarious. Please continue telling us how EXTREME HARDCORE 40K is oh enlightened one.
Please clarify when using irony/sarcasm. Wouldn't want him getting more confused.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
VladG said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Oh my god, now he's an expert on 40K is he? This is fucking hilarious. Please continue telling us how EXTREME HARDCORE 40K is oh enlightened one.
Please clarify when using irony/sarcasm. Wouldn't want him getting more confused.
Most of the time it is better to ignore him, but goddamn if he isn't fun to argue with. I especially liked how he used the cigar chomping orks with cartoonishly oversized machine guns from the Dawn of War intro to emphasize how depressing the setting is.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The Cool Kid said:
Soviet Heavy said:
VladG said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Most of the time it is better to ignore him, but goddamn if he isn't fun to argue with. I especially liked how he used the cigar chomping orks with cartoonishly oversized machine guns from the Dawn of War intro to emphasize how depressing the setting is.
Because Al Capone was obviously a comedian and if you had the strength to carry an M2 you would obviously choose an M4.
You know, in the other thread you said I had to get a sense of humor. I think you're lacking one if you fail to see the inherent humor in the idea of a big green apelike alien that smokes cigars and runs around shouting Dakka Dakka Dakka at the top of his lungs.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Like it or not, the Orks in 40k are pretty funny. They still fit the GRIMDARKHORRIBLEOHGODLOOKATTHATTHINGITSGOINGTOKILLUSALL theme of 40k, but they are a notably silly addition to it.

They use concepts and names like:
MORE DAKKA.
MORE BLASTY.
ENUFF DAKKA (The realm of the Ork gods)
WEIRD BOYZ (Psychics)
RED WUNZ GO FASTAH

And let's not forget that all their technology is powered by a combination of childlike belief and extreme stupidity which warps reality in accordance with their belief systems, making RED WUNZ actually GO FASTAH, shooting randomly more accurate than aiming, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love 40k. But Orks are indeed the... well, I don't want to say 'light-hearted' race... but rather... uh... the 'not apocalyptically depressing' race.

Although I am getting my sources from TVTropes here, so my information may not be entirely accurate to 40k Lore.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Warhammer40000?from=Main.Warhammer40000
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoreDakka
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedOnesGoFaster
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieve

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
D3's aesthetic is not cartoony or childish. It just uses colors other than black, brown and gray.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
revenge6000 said:
Hey guys what's goin on in this thre-

Oh

I see your quickly exiting grandpa and raise you. . .

Other than that I can see Cool Guy is back an apparently the master of all knowledge that we don't seem to comprehend at all.