Dark Knight Rises Set Photo Hints at Lazarus Pit

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dark Knight Rises Set Photo Hints at Lazarus Pit

A photo from the set of Dark Knight Rises might reveal an important, life-rejuvenating plot point.

Christoper Nolan has been very secretive about the plot of Dark Knight Rises. We know about some of the film's cast, including young Ra's al Ghul [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107081-Anne-Hathaway-Will-Play-Selina-Kyle-in-The-Dark-Knight-Rises], and that's about it. However, now that shooting is getting underway, a photo from the set in India may have revealed a plot device related to Ra's al Ghul.

In the Batman comic books, Ra's al Ghul stays eternally young and healthy through a pool of mystical chemicals called the Lazarus Pit. In the leaked photo, a large hole has been dug in the ground and green-screened so that effects can be added after filming. With the confirmation of a young Ra's al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises, it's entirely possible that this hole is a Lazarus Pit.

While the Lazarus Pit keeps whoever takes a dip in it alive, it also drives them mad. Nolan introduced Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins novel [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Begins-Blu-ray-Christian-Bale/dp/B000PC6A3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304869636&sr=8-1], lending more credence to the theory here.

This might mean that the young Ra's al Ghul being played by Pence will actually be the present Ra's al Ghul rather than a version shown in flashbacks, perhaps being forced back into the Lazarus Pit to heal injuries sustained in Batman Begins. Of course, this is all speculation, but the coincidence of green-screened pit dug in the middle of India and the casting of a young Ra's al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises isn't exactly something that can be ignored.

Source: Comic Book Movie [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/CoastToCoastStation/news/?a=36732]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If he doesn't do chemical vats for the Joker, I wouldn't say there's much chance of a magic pit.

Jul 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
If he doesn't do chemical vats for the Joker, I wouldn't say there's much chance of a magic pit.
But he didn't do vats for Joker for thematic reasons, not because it's unrealistic. Think about it, what's scarier: A guy scarred and driven crazy by chemicals out to cause anarchy, or just some dude in crumbling makeup out to cause anarchy for no reason?

Thematically, I do think the Lazarus Pit would fit with what Nolan's been doing with Ra's as a character.

EDIT: Before answering the above question, keep in mind what was in our heads about the Joker before DK.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
But he didn't do vats for Joker for thematic reasons, not because it's unrealistic. Think about it, what's scarier: A guy scarred and driven crazy by chemicals out to cause anarchy, or just some dude in crumbling makeup out to cause anarchy for no reason?

Thematically, I do think the Lazarus Pit would fit with what Nolan's been doing with Ra's as a character.

EDIT: Before answering the above question, keep in mind what was in our heads about the Joker before DK.
I still don't see it - at all.

Jul 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
Woodsey said:

You don't see the Lazarus Pits, you mean?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
Woodsey said:

No, I mean I don't see him including them.

I used the chemical thing as a comparison because its still kind of based in a realm of reality - its not magic. You don't rebuild a franchise using a realist approach and then include magic pits.

Jul 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
Woodsey said:
Woodsey said:

No, I mean I don't see him including them.

I used the chemical thing as a comparison because its still kind of based in a realm of reality - its not magic. You don't rebuild a franchise using a realist approach and then include magic pits.
That's what I meant.

Well, it wouldn't HAVE to be magic. It could be some sort of scientific thing. Still seems unrealistic, but I think Nolan's earned enough good will from me to give him a chance at this.

Jun 7, 2010
Christopher nolan's brilliant and all but i'm starting to get suspicious that this might be going down the spider-man route of "good first film, great second film, shitty third film".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Did the Batman movies really need this? I think it's an odd choice of direction.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
We got cryptic snapshots for Dark Knight, so this pleases me we get them again for Rises. Frankly I am not even all that sure what we are looking at given the quality of the photo. I choose to just wait for the movie before speculating something that would just ruin it for me.
[sub]I am still not sure about Anne Hathaway as Selina. But perhaps she is up to breaking her mold as being a "wholesome" star and give us some nice surprises.[/sub]

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
While the Lazarus Pit keeps whoever takes a dip in it alive, it also drives them mad.
Yes and no, while madness is an after effect of the pit it is only a temporary effect, outside of the comics this was probably best shown in Batman the animated series, in "The Demon's quest" (I think it was part two but it may have been part one)

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Man people are so desperate for news on Dark Knight Rises that a green hole in the ground makes the news rounds eh?

deathbyoatmeal

Apr 3, 2011
i don't really have high hopes for this movie, the inclusion of bane, selina kyle, and ras al ghul seems like it may be too much. that being said, if anyone can pull it off its christopher nolan.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Not sure how I feel about this. I mean, Nolan has, thus far, kept the films quite "realistic", and a puddle of luminescent green liquid that can - either by method of magic or science - keep one young seems a little far-fetched.

Additionally, if this is the case, why not reprise Liam Neeson for the role of Ra's? He's a tremendous actor and I think he did a great job in the first film. I know this Ra's is supposed to be a younger version of the Ra's in Batman Begins, but still....

My captcha is telling me to "practice staludi". I shall, captcha. I shall.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
That pit is on the surface, the Lazarus pit would always be hidden or someone would have noticed it.

Woodsey said:
You don't rebuild a franchise using a realist approach and then include magic pits.
Also that.

A green-screened pit could be anything. A crater from a crash or explosion, or an entrance to the bat cave.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it seems odd he would go down the magix path now, but then again he did wrap quite alot of supernatural stuff up in Hollywood reality quite nicely so I trust him to continue doing so.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Couldn't it be the venom for Bane? ...although that's a bit "unrealistic" as well (compared to what's been done in Begins and DK), but still less than Lazarus pitts (personally hate magic stuff in superhero stories, always seems like a they ran out of ideas or got into a dead end).

And arent Lazarus pitts yellowish, not green?