Dark Souls 2 PC Version Won't Be Half-Assed

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Dark Souls 2 PC Version Won't Be Half-Assed

Director Yui Tanimura admits that the last time Dark Souls turned up on PC, it kinda stank.

Hot on the heels of a recent promise to keep the difficulty high [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123231-Dark-Souls-II-Director-Confirms-Its-High-Difficulty], comes another vow from Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura. Yes, the last time Dark Souls turned up on PC, it was "sort of half-assed," Tanimura admits, but next time, he says, all the cheeks will be in play.

"Last time, we started working on PC after the console version was complete," Tanimura told Shacknews. This led to problems with development and, ultimately, an inferior product. Tanimura is determined that won't happen again.

"This time," says Tanimura, "because we are considering the PC from the beginning, you can be sure there will be more care put into PC development." Not only that, but there will be no release delay; the PC edition will launch simultaneously with the other platform launches. Still no word on exactly when that will happen, mind you, but at least PC gamers have some idea of what to expect when it does.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/78672/dark-souls-pc-was-half-assed-but-dark-souls-2]

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Good to see this will happen. Apparently the PC version sold 300,000 retail copies on PC (no word on digital copies), so I hope they'll do just as good if not even better.

I am glad I bought Dark Souls on PC. I really wanted to see DkS2 on PC, so I saved quite a lot of money for the game (70 AUS Dollars) and purchased it, so I am glad and I was not disappointed. DkS was a great game, perhaps one of the best games that I have ever played, and I hope DkS2 is as good if not better.

EDIT: Also, please From Software, do NOT use GFWL. For some reason DkS won't run because GFWL decided to fuck off and die.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Right. Going from a dev team that tried and ended up making the world's most anticipated piece of downloadable shit to something that "won't be half-assed".

I will believe it when I see it.

Granted they are developing for the PS4 so we may be blessed with developers who actually know what to do with x86 and end up with a not quite as shit game.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
honestly, considering how we had to pretty much shove bamboo shoots under their nails to get a PC release of Dark Souls at all, I'm kind of impressed they're apologising at all for the issues.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
So they are not using GFWL for Dark Souls 2?

Is this what you mean by not making it 'half arsed?' Mr Yui Tanimura?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
'Sort of' half arsed?
Oooooh dear that's not even the half of it.

Still, it's nice to hear. Makes the wait all the more exciting.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
You could have just titled this as 'GAME DEVELOPER ADMITS MISTAKE: "WILL DO BETTER"' and it would have been just as news worthy to be honest.

FROMsoft continue to show their class in the sea of mediocrity and cheap marketing. I really can't wait to get my hands on this one, although I'm not sure if I'll end up getting it for the PC or Xbox. I suppose I'll wait and see if they really do manage to improve on this. These guys have a reputation for honesty so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

pleasedon'tuseGFWLpleasedon'tuseGFWLpleasedon'tuseGFWLpleasedon'tuseGFWLpleasedon'tuseGFWL

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Blue Musician said:
Good to see this will happen. Apparently the PC version sold 300,000 retail copies on PC (no word on digital copies), so I hope they'll do just as good if not even better.

I am glad I bought Dark Souls on PC. I really wanted to see DkS2 on PC, so I saved quite a lot of money for the game (70 AUS Dollars) and purchased it, so I am glad and I was not disappointed. DkS was a great game, perhaps one of the best games that I have ever played, and I hope DkS2 is as good if not better.

EDIT: Also, please From Software, do NOT use GFWL. For some reason DkS won't run because GFWL decided to fuck off and die.
I bought this game off steam along with 7 of my closer friends so I can imagine the digital copies selling just as well. Also I believe I heard from somewhere that Dark Souls 2 will not use GFWL and instead have its own system in place, meaning more stable co-op and pvp.

OT: Personally I cannot wait for this games release I loved Dark souls even if I never played Demons Souls and by the looks of the game play and the news I'm hearing this should be even better. This is especially good considering that I was never really bothered by the PC port and was willing to overlook low frame rate and poor optimization in light of just how well the game was designed. I may actually buy a game on release day as apposed to waiting for the price to go down in a long time for this.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
The PC port really was inexcusable. I likely won't get DS2 as the first didn't really appeal to me all that much, but here's hoping other people actually get their money's worth.

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
I didn't actually mind the pc port too much as it was fixed almost instantly, I just hope they do more boss design in the style of the AotA bosses, there weren't actually that many good bosses in the original content.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Great, now I have to change pants.
I'm primarily a PC gamer, so having a simultaneous launch makes me so happy.
Also the fact that it won't be as shit as the PC fort of DS 1.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
If there's no GFWL I'll be playing this one, I wanted to play the first but the controls also didn't really got me.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This may not be a deal maker for some, but it makes me smile that From Software admitted their mistake and that they're working on it.

fmatthew5876

Feb 22, 2010
I have much respect for the Dark Souls developers. They listen to fans and they admit when they make mistakes. Very happy to make a release date purchase of DS2.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Grabehn said:
If there's no GFWL I'll be playing this one, I wanted to play the first but the controls also didn't really got me.
Grab a controller, 360, Windows or PS3, though for the latter two you need montioninjoy or something similar unless things have changed since I needed a controller on my computer. Controls on M&K are odd as fuck for the game, but controller feels just right.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Ed130 said:
So they are not using GFWL for Dark Souls 2?

Is this what you mean by not making it 'half arsed?' Mr Yui Tanimura?
My sentiments exactly. Use Steamworks if you're gonna be that paranoid. Hell even Origin if you want to still be lazy about it. Just not GFWL. I already have to bear with that piece of crap due to it being necessary for my PC copy of Bioshock 2.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really hope they don't use games for windows live, I've passed on more than a few games that I wanted because I hate it.