Dark Souls 3 hype thread!

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Jandau said:
It could all be in my head. But I swear the knight rolls better, not in terms of the weight of the roll, but the speed in which the character responses to my inputs seems faster. I steamrolled through the game to get to the same point where I left off on my merc, in about 90 minutes of knight play. I was even able to dodge the second boss, which I absolutely couldn't do on the Merc, and I swear it is because the merc had a slight delay on button inputs that does not seem present on the knight.

The merc took seven frustrating tries on the second boss to beat. And when I beat him it was luck.

The knight beat it on the first try and it was a total cake walk.

I swear I am not crazy, and I have not had enough time to memorize and practice the game to such an extent that I can just write it off to getting better at the game. Because the knight felt better from moment fucking one.

But everyone experiences the game differently, so hard to say for sure I guess.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
CritialGaming said:
I'm not saying you're crazy. People are still cataloguing all the bugs in the game and tracking down exactly what's causing them. From everything I've read, the Knight does offer a number of advantages, and it's been mostly linked to his helmet. Perhaps people are wrong, the game's only been out for a few days.

But again, I suggest taking off your Knight's helmet and seeing if you get the same delay as with the Merc. From what you've described, the delay sounds like an FPS issue - you might be getting a better framerate on the Knight, which in turn makes the game more responsive.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Jandau said:
CritialGaming said:
I'm not saying you're crazy. People are still cataloguing all the bugs in the game and tracking down exactly what's causing them. From everything I've read, the Knight does offer a number of advantages, and it's been mostly linked to his helmet. Perhaps people are wrong, the game's only been out for a few days.

But again, I suggest taking off your Knight's helmet and seeing if you get the same delay as with the Merc. From what you've described, the delay sounds like an FPS issue - you might be getting a better framerate on the Knight, which in turn makes the game more responsive.
Well, here's the thing with the merc. The weapons and general attacks I do on the merc all perform great. It is specifically with the roll and the only problem I had was the roll. Attacking shit was cool and I love his duel swords.

I will try to take off the helm next time I play, but that wont be until late tonight.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
CritialGaming said:
Well, here's the thing with the merc. The weapons and general attacks I do on the merc all perform great. It is specifically with the roll and the only problem I had was the roll. Attacking shit was cool and I love his duel swords.

I will try to take off the helm next time I play, but that wont be until late tonight.
I did a bit of testing and I honestly couldn't see any difference in rolling between my new Knight and my Warrior or Merc. That said, I've done a bunch of stuff I scrounged up on Reddit to improve performance and my framerate is pretty smooth by this point. But from what I can ascertain, if the game is running properly there is no advantage in response times for any starting class.

That being said, the Knight DOES cut through the game like a hot knife through butter. Best starting armor, arguably the best starting stat spread, Longsword has a great moveset and is a good balance between speed, power and reach. Add to that a bit of experience from my previous characters and I one-shot Lothric High Wall on the first go, boss included. I'll probably be sticking with the Knight for now.

As for performance, here's a few things you could try. They helped me somewhat.

Go into your NVIDIA Control Panel -> 3d settings -> select Dark souls 3 under programs, then go all the way down and it should say something like "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames". By defult this will be set to 1, which is bad for Dark Souls 3. Change this to use the 3d Application setting. Also, change Texture Filtering to Performance in that same menu.
In general, visit the Dark Souls 3 reddit page, they have a whole list of fixes you can do to get your game running smoother.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I've had it for a few days but only just got the undead settlement, won't be able to ply properly until the weekend. I'm resisting the urge to look anything up and playing it blind (I've not looked at any of the DS promotional stuff since the stress test).

This is probably a weird thing to praise but I like a lot of animations in this.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Jandau said:
As for performance, here's a few things you could try. They helped me somewhat.

Go into your NVIDIA Control Panel -> 3d settings -> select Dark souls 3 under programs, then go all the way down and it should say something like "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames". By defult this will be set to 1, which is bad for Dark Souls 3. Change this to use the 3d Application setting. Also, change Texture Filtering to Performance in that same menu.
In general, visit the Dark Souls 3 reddit page, they have a whole list of fixes you can do to get your game running smoother.
Thanks for the tips. I had to do some tinkering for the frame rate, including setting the resolution to 1600x900, to get the game in a state I considered comfortable to play. I was definitely having some issues with responsiveness before I did so. I'll change this stuff in my nvidia settings and see if I get any further improvement.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Jandau said:
I have already made my long sword a +2 and gave it a raw gem. Titanite is every where in the game, so I dont feel bad about powering up my weapons at all. I guess the knight is just EZ mode.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Refunded the game, this was my first go at a DS game, so getting to the first boss within 3 minutes of starting, with next to no information about controls or what I am meant to be doing only to find that this boss can kill me with two hits, my roll attack seems to be next to useless and while I can do some damage I have to accept that it will result in insta rape.

Fuck I found out that my character could dual wield by just randomly mashing buttons, the game didn't explain this to me at any point. The character creation screen gives you the choice to select some item or other when you first start, I went for the one that gave me some more HP because HP was the only value I understood, what's FP? why do I want an item that does that, why do I want an item that allows me to invade another game as a Dark Soul?

Yes I get the game is meant to be difficult but their is a fine line between being difficult and being out of the way obscure, a little info on something would be nice.

Anyway it dawned on me that I wasn't having any fun, that to get any fun out of this game I would have to really work hard at it and to be honest that's not why I play a game. So yeah refunded

On a side note it did run very nicely on my 980GTX for the 30 minutes I played it though.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Well, even more hours into it (played it pretty much the entire last 2 days). I'm fairly late into the game, so a spoiler thread is in order soon.

- There's some phenomenal, and some incredibly phoned-in level design. I'm not going to say where, or what they look like, but suffice to say the areas I'm talking about are roughly on the same level with the Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne in terms of how interesting their layouts are. Bad dev, Fromsoft!

- I just experienced a huuuuuge surprise in the latest 2 hours of my game. Suffice to say it's perhaps the biggest lore-related revelation in the series, and a huge callback to Dark Souls 1.

Laughing Man said:
Refunded the game, this was my first go at a DS game, so getting to the first boss within 3 minutes of starting, with next to no information about controls or what I am meant to be doing only to find that this boss can kill me with two hits, my roll attack seems to be next to useless and while I can do some damage I have to accept that it will result in insta rape.

Fuck I found out that my character could dual wield by just randomly mashing buttons, the game didn't explain this to me at any point. The character creation screen gives you the choice to select some item or other when you first start, I went for the one that gave me some more HP because HP was the only value I understood, what's FP? why do I want an item that does that, why do I want an item that allows me to invade another game as a Dark Soul?

Yes I get the game is meant to be difficult but their is a fine line between being difficult and being out of the way obscure, a little info on something would be nice.

Anyway it dawned on me that I wasn't having any fun, that to get any fun out of this game I would have to really work hard at it and to be honest that's not why I play a game. So yeah refunded

On a side note it did run very nicely on my 980GTX for the 30 minutes I played it though.
Did you notice the messages on the ground in the starting area? They show you basic controls, or are at least supposed to (I'm playing on PS4, don't know about the functionality on PC). Anyway, relying on the game ""tutorial"" to learn to play the game in Dark Souls is not the way to go. There are starter guides aplenty on the internet, and the basic principles apply universally to all the three games. If you had a physical copy I'd tell you to read the instruction booklet, but I assume you just bought it on Steam. I know I'm basically talking to a wall here considering you already refunded it, but I'm still going to say that was a bad call and you're missing out.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
The Abyss Watchers. I love everything about them.

But the area before them ARGH I HATE IT ... but I love it because I hate it so much.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Laughing Man said:
Um...

The entire march to the first boss is littered with instructions, literally carved into the ground in glowing letters that prompt you to read them as you go. And so you know, that wasn't a roll attack - That's 'dodge.'

Fuck I found out that my character could dual wield by just randomly mashing buttons, the game didn't explain this to me at any point.
Yes it does.

what's FP?
MP. You got me there, that's just retarded design/naming.

why do I want an item that allows me to invade another game as a Dark Soul?
Invade - to enter for conquest or plunder.

The info is literally layed out for you on the ground.

Fair enough.

Sorry about that. Just some really bizarre criticisms that really bothered me.

As for myself... first, the nit picks.

1. MP/FP can suck it. I know it stinks of 'they changed it, now it sucks,' but I much preferred DS1's magic system.
2. I have to go back to the shrine to level? Go to hell, design team.
3. Mandatory fast travel - I would have really preferred the DS1 method, but I understand how that was probably hard to do. So, I think it's a downgrade here, but I'll let it pass.

Onto the real stuff... I like the world so far. The beginning was a lot faster and more engaging then DS2, so I was actually able to exit the starting area without being already completely sick of the game. Looks great, and the world feels good. Combat controls are good, as are the menus. The ability to use whole or partial stacks in one go gave me an erection.

And I'm afraid that's where all the good things I have to say end.

The enemies... I hate the enemies. I've lost more souls to the black oil thingies that look like Alex Mercer then anything else, not because their hard, but because the 'I'm winding up to anally rape you' animation is indistinguishable from the 'My health points are gone and I'm dead,' animation. The blobs are the worst, but not the only enemy that does this. So I end up spending 5-10 seconds backing away from every fight when I think it's over, but am not sure because maybe one of these bastards still has an invisible amount of healthy left.

And then there's the enemies that, as far as I can tell, simply can't be dealt with without range. I started as a pyromancer, and I expected things to be rough, but this is just dumb. I've run into at least 3 enemy types that can both hit so hard that they take a third of my health away through my shield, and also have combos that last longer then my stamina and which are so long it's a crapshoot as to whether I can roll out of range, and even if I do they'll often just double lunge me into a wall.

And worst of all, it feels like the game is constantly changing the rules on me. And I say 'feels' because I can't be sure - It would be better if I knew for sure it was changing. Enemies that I've killed a dozen time will, after I hit up a fire and head back to their spot, suddenly change their behavior. They go to being baitable to being knife or bomb throwers without any warning. Sometimes a knights thrust goes towards where you were when he started, sometimes he'll spin like a top as I try to roll away, making it impossible to avoid damage. Sometimes the black goo things are slow, and I'll be able to recover. Sometimes, once your on the ground, that's fucking it - It's over. Doesn't matter how much damage it did, because it's entered turbo mode and you get to lay there for 8 seconds while it stun locks you.

The game just feels really inconsistent, which is not a good thing for a game where so much back tracking is required.

I started playing today, and I only got 3 hours in before I decided I needed to clean my desk off. Then I needed to reorganize the movie shelf. Then do some laundry. Haven't touched it since, and honestly, I feel no great urge to do so. And perhaps the greatest black mark against the game is I actually rechecked the Steam returns policy an hour ago (I'm an hour over). My friend plays, and he's offered to coop with me, so I'll probably play just to have something to do with him (I'm in Pennsylvania, he's in California, and we haven't been in sync game wise since I quit FF14).

I don't know... it's not that the game is entirely without charm, or that it's completely funless. It just inspires the wrong kind of frustration. When I played Dark Souls, and something bad happened, I usually got frustrated with myself. When I play Dark Souls 3 and something bad happens, I get frustrated with the game. And I do not like that at all.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Laughing Man said:
Look, by no means is From Software the best at communicating how their games work (they tend to be pretty bad at it), but you can literally press Start (or whatever opens your menu on KB+M), go to status, and then press whatever key is shown for Help. It tells you how every stat value works on that screen, even if it's not going to be completely clear how you're supposed to understand how it works in-game. Not to mention what several others have already said regarding the many tutorial messages that you apparently missed.

There is absolutely no shame in looking at a guide to get your bearings, either. Especially for a first Souls-style game.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
I have a question. I am in the Farron Keep area and al this time I have not received one achievement. What is up with that?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
This game is phenomenal so far. The graphics and art direction are a huge improvement over prior installments. This game really reinvigorated my love for the series, especially after Bloodborne burned me out. The gameplay is vastly improved. Estus makes a welcome return after that dreadful blood vile system in BB, and everything has a methodical pace.

That said, I've got some complaints. I'm really sick of the shrine maiden. Maybe she'll grow on me as a character, but I'm tired of the girl that levels you up trope. The bonfire system in Dark Souls was perfect. Why would they go back to the this? Furthermore, the hub world thing is a bit old. I liked the intricacy of Dark Soul's way more then the level design of Demon Soul's. Feels like a massive step back to prior games. Sometimes I feel like Miyazaki just flip flops arbitrarily on ideas without much thought about what really works.

Complaints aside, this is a return to form for Miyazaki. What an amazing game.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
PrimitiveJudge said:
I have a question. I am in the Farron Keep area and al this time I have not received one achievement. What is up with that?
Considering the first achievement you get is for lighting the first bonfire in the game, yes, that is an issue. Are you absolutely sure you don't have ANY achievements? I'm in the Undead Settlement (I assume much earlier than where you are) on a Steam version of the game and have 7 achievements.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
PrimitiveJudge said:

You're getting achievements, they're just not popping up mid game, presumably due to some setting that's purpose is to keep your screen from getting cluttered.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
The enemies... I hate the enemies. I've lost more souls to the black oil thingies that look like Alex Mercer then anything else, not because their hard, but because the 'I'm winding up to anally rape you' animation is indistinguishable from the 'My health points are gone and I'm dead,' animation.
Yeah, I was having a bit of difficulty with these guys too, since their animations are kind of stupid. I recommend using a fire-infused weapon on them, since that will make them recoil and give you the time to get a few good whacks in before backing off. Or since you're a pyromancer, using a spell and then smacking them with the rest of your stamina, leaving a bit to back off safely, might work as well.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Fat_Hippo said:
AccursedTheory said:
The enemies... I hate the enemies. I've lost more souls to the black oil thingies that look like Alex Mercer then anything else, not because their hard, but because the 'I'm winding up to anally rape you' animation is indistinguishable from the 'My health points are gone and I'm dead,' animation.
Yeah, I was having a bit of difficulty with these guys too, since their animations are kind of stupid. I recommend using a fire-infused weapon on them, since that will make them recoil and give you the time to get a few good whacks in before backing off. Or since you're a pyromancer, using a spell and then smacking them with the rest of your stamina, leaving a bit to back off safely, might work as well.
It has nothing to do with difficulty, or needing help, it's that every fight get's drawn out an extra 10 seconds because I can't trust the game to tell me when somethings actually dead until it finishes it's atrocious death animation and either dissolves or falls to the ground and is finally subject to the most amusingly bad rag doll physics in recent memory.

In any case, all that waiting starts to add up, and it's frustrating.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
Fat_Hippo said:
AccursedTheory said:
It has nothing to do with difficulty, or needing help, it's that every fight get's drawn out an extra 10 seconds because I can't trust the game to tell me when somethings actually dead until it finishes it's atrocious death animation and either dissolves or falls to the ground and is finally subject to the most amusingly bad rag doll physics in recent memory.

I've actually just been going by sound myself. Usually enemies make a pretty interesting noise when they're done for good.

The most interesting part of this thread for me is reading where people are... The first area past firelink must be incredibly dense, because I've seen things people have seemingly skipped right over, and I'm reading about guys that I either have entirely sidestepped or haven't even found yet.

I will say though - I cannot believe how hard it is to find armour. I wanted to buy a full face helmet to test the hair thing and see if it improves my roll reactions, and I have yet to find one god damn option for it. It is pretty cool that you don't upgrade armour anymore though. I hated having to bring everything up to about +2 in DS2 to be able to decide which armour was the best option for the next section. This makes comparison easier.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
AccursedTheory said:

Huh, that's one thing I haven't had any issues with. Keeping an eye on your soul counter might help with certain enemies, as it should start ticking upwards if you've dealt the killing blow.