Dark Souls and GWFL: A story of >:( and ;_;

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Recently I decided to finally hop aboard the Dark Souls pain train. Alas to my dismay, I ran into problems with GWFL (Games for Windows Live) forcibly exiting DS every time I try to launch it. After much searching and configuring, I got it to launch even though I'm not 100% sure on what fixed it. (PC master race MY ARSE)

It was pretty fun for an experience equivalent to running head into a solid wall made of glass shards and sadness but all in all, I quite chuffed I finally got it running. Then one and a half hours in, I find out that the game can't save because of GWFL bollocks saying I'm not signed in. What kind of game needs you connected to an obsolete network to save?!

Has anyone else had issues like this with DS, GWFL itself or any other products supported by GWFL? Share your infuriating experiences below!

Captcha: have fun!
That's just taunting me in more ways than one T_T

Update: I've managed to get GWFL running and signed in using my xbox live gamertag but DS still doesn't want to go online or communicate with GWFL in any way whatsoever.

Also, I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one with this problem but unsurprised (shame on you Microsoft)

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
If a game has GFWL, Uplay, or some other junky DRM on top of Steam, I simply won't buy it. Not worth the potential annoyance. On PC, it's either Steamworks, DRM free, or an account system like Minecraft for me.

Plus, I have a PS3 and 360, so I can get those games elsewhere without the hassle.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Oh yeah, GFWL is a right chucklefuck. 'Oops! No internet connection. Sorry, looks like you can't play that singleplayer game of yours.' The day it's dragged behind the proverbial shed and given both barrels won't be soon enough.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
fuck GFWL forever, complete piece of worthless garbage, i still remember how much of a pain was to get Dawn of War 2 working, and by that i mean the mere process of creating a fucking account for the stupid thing

i cant wait for that junk to be nuked out of existence, i only hope all the worthwhile games that use it get patched to steamworks or something similar in time

on and get this, for some reason, GFWL games are more often than not, not avaliable in all regions, such as mine, you have to trade for them in order to play em, so the devs are even losing potential sales because of that crap

Dead Century said:
If a game has GFWL, Uplay, or some other junky DRM on top of Steam, I simply won't buy it. Not worth the potential annoyance. On PC, it's either Steamworks, DRM free, or an account system like Minecraft for me.

Plus, I have a PS3 and 360, so I can get those games elsewhere without the hassle.
wasnt ubisoft trying to push uplay into consoles as well? be afraid

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Ya I had the same problems. The thing that they don't tell you is that you actually have to have not only GFWL but Microsoft essentials too (the 2010 one I think or maybe 2012 not sure). It took me a full three hours to finally understand and get it running. There may be some other things that are required to do like having a microsoft account, you should be able to learn more on the steam forums. But didn't they shut down GFWL? I'm not sure, should be checked into.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
Dead Century said:

Yeah, they were. If you use the multiplayer for Assassin's Creed. You can also get bonus missions and such if you use a Uplay/Ubisoft account. It's optional though, and I can take my consoles offline to play, no problem.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
One more month until GFWL gets shut down.

I don't buy games that have it, and never will. Wether the developer/publisher patches it out when it's dead though... well there's always the unofficial route to fixing it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
FriesWithThat said:
Oh yeah, GFWL is a right chucklefuck. 'Oops! No internet connection. Sorry, looks like you can't play that singleplayer game of yours.' The day it's dragged behind the proverbial shed and given both barrels won't be soon enough.
It's being put down in a month. Who knows what will replace it?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I've managed to put up with it by not registering. When I load the game up, GFWL asks me to login but I simply tell it to fuck off and it goes to sulk in the corner and that's it. Of course, this means I can only play offline, but that doesn't really bother me at all.

Hopefully when the useless piece of shit finally dies, From Software will make the game more playable through Steam or whatever.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Dead Century said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Dead Century said:

Yeah, they were. If you use the multiplayer for Assassin's Creed. You can also get bonus missions and such if you use a Uplay/Ubisoft account. It's optional though, and I can take my consoles offline to play, no problem.
oh ok, cool

personally i dont mind uPlay that much, id even dare it has potential, but yes at the end of the day, its bad, just, not that bad

if uPlay is common cold, GFWL is Super AIDS

Subbies said:
Ya I had the same problems. The thing that they don't tell you is that you actually have to have not only GFWL but Microsoft essentials too (the 2010 one I think or maybe 2012 not sure). It took me a full three hours to finally understand and get it running. There may be some other things that are required to do like having a microsoft account, you should be able to learn more on the steam forums. But didn't they shut down GFWL? I'm not sure, should be checked into.
they WILL shut down GFWL, i cant wait to say GTFO to GFWL

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Can't play Bullet Storm on steam because I refuse to log into GFWL. Why did I buy Bullet Storm when I hate GFWL, I forgot to check the tiny side bar about 3rd party drm. I wish there was a banner under the game like they do for credit card payments for stuff like final fantasy xiv

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
TakeshiLive said:
Recently I decided to finally hop aboard the Dark Souls pain train. Alas to my dismay, I ran into problems with GWFL (Games for Windows Live) forcibly exiting DS every time I try to launch it. After much searching and configuring, I got it to launch even though I'm not 100% sure on what fixed it. (PC master race MY ARSE)

It was pretty fun for an experience equivalent to running head into a solid wall made of glass shards and sadness but all in all, I quite chuffed I finally got it running. Then one and a half hours in, I find out that the game can't save because of GWFL bollocks saying I'm not signed in. What kind of game needs you connected to an obsolete network to save?!

Has anyone else had issues like this with DS, GWFL itself or any other products supported by GWFL? Share your infuriating experiences below!

Captcha: have fun!
That's just taunting me in more ways than one T_T
I'm not normally one to hate on programs (I think origin is fine should show you that). But GFWL is the worst piece of trash to ever come out. I had so many problems with every single game that has come with it. I couldn't play GTA4, Bioshock 2(got that one working after a while), Arkham Asylum(got it working too). Dark Souls was the only game I think I didn't have too many complications with, it's strange to me. But seriously that program is the worst thing I've ever seen and it just shows how much microsoft doesn't give a shit about the PC games market.

It's a good thing it's dying, unfortunately we lose some great games multiplayer for it (DS especially). The worst thing is that Ubisoft has taken up the mantle to create a terrible program.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Dead Century said:

I didn't know it had GWFL actually, I just knew it was a shitty PC port that required a joystick and you'd be golden.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I've managed to put up with it by not registering. When I load the game up, GFWL asks me to login but I simply tell it to fuck off and it goes to sulk in the corner and that's it. Of course, this means I can only play offline, but that doesn't really bother me at all.

Hopefully when the useless piece of shit finally dies, From Software will make the game more playable through Steam or whatever.
Don't you need to be signed in and online to save?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
TakeshiLive said:
Don't you need to be signed in and online to save?
You need to have an account I believe, but you don't have to register. You only have to register in order to play online. At least I remember that being the case. It's been a long time since I did the sign up bullshit, and as you may imagine, I haven't touched it since, so I may be a bit off. It was something like that in any case.

Apr 8, 2010
TakeshiLive said:
Recently I decided to finally hop aboard the Dark Souls pain train.
Ohh just in time! Started the game for the first time a few days ago myself. Somewhat surprisingly given the thread, I didn't have too much problems in getting the game and GFWL to run. Simply installed DSFix and a launcher for it and everything is working as intended....except one thing: the multiplayer.

Supposedly it's also the fault of GFWL but if you play the game you will be occasionally invaded by cheaters with infinite health who will just kill you and take any piece of humanity you have on you with them. That alone wouldn't be too bad as that happens only occasionally anyway but what pissed me even more occured yesterday: left a summon sign to help somebody else with a boss and got summoned by a guy with a strange hat. He hit me (which should not be possible afaik) with some hacked weapon, immediately cursing me (= health is halved and you need to buy an item for 3K to remove it), took all my souls and humanity and a few minutes later resulted in my character getting eggheaded (= 50% diminished soul income and no headgear plus needs an item to remove that you won't be able to find unless at least 20hours in)....fortunately was able to grind for it and removed all the stat-debuffs....still the MP seems to be full of cheaters and, as such, utterly broken.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
TakeshiLive said:
Dead Century said:

I didn't know it had GWFL actually, I just knew it was a shitty PC port that required a joystick and you'd be golden.
Fair enough. I've done the same thing in the past, which is why I read the fine print on the steam store pages very thoroughly.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Chromatic Aberration said:
That sucks, dude, being stomped by people with unfair gear :(

At least you got the game working right? So GFWL worked for you no problems?