Dark Souls III: what to keep, bring back, leave out or change?

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
10th: Guarantee drops from enemies who only have one life. If I find all the secret dudes and hit them hard enough to drop them, and don't get their super limited drops, that's just aggravating. Chaos Isaac said this. (I do not remember the quoting for this site)

I disagree with this 100%. The first time I beat Dark Souls 1 was because of max upgrade of black knight armor, max upgrade of great shield of Artorias and Black knight Halberd. That weapon is hard as shit to acquire no matter how many humanity you have. Even if this "Special" is a one of a time only, then it should always be rare as hell to loot him/her.

OT: I loved the interlocking areas of DS1 and enjoyed the boss fights, But DS2 had some moments. First of all there was no interlocking zones and too many bonfires. (whoever created this should be fired and shot) well at least be put on the wii for how safe it was. There is only 3 boss fights in DS2 that there were actually hard as hell to solo: Looking Glass Knight, The Lost Sinner and the Smelter Demon (seriously fuck him).

My hopes for DS3 are: Interlocking zones with minimal bonfires and hards as shit bosses like DS1, but Hard as shit zones like in DS2. Meaning I want to hear the cries of 100million people and smile.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Give us some PERMANENT Red Eye and Blue Eye Orbs so that the invasions and vigilante players are actually able to engage with each other. However in order for that to work, the covenants in which you are summoned when the corresponding event occurs (Blue Disciple, Bell Covenant, etc.) shouldn't require you to waste a ring slot on the off chance that you MIGHT be summoned. Instead, perhaps have a separate ring slot for covenants so players can choose to wear or not wear the convenant ring and still have their normal ring slots.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
PrimitiveJudge said:
10th: Guarantee drops from enemies who only have one life. If I find all the secret dudes and hit them hard enough to drop them, and don't get their super limited drops, that's just aggravating. Chaos Isaac said this. (I do not remember the quoting for this site)

I disagree with this 100%. The first time I beat Dark Souls 1 was because of max upgrade of black knight armor, max upgrade of great shield of Artorias and Black knight Halberd. That weapon is hard as shit to acquire no matter how many humanity you have. Even if this "Special" is a one of a time only, then it should always be rare as hell to loot him/her.

OT: I loved the interlocking areas of DS1 and enjoyed the boss fights, But DS2 had some moments. First of all there was no interlocking zones and too many bonfires. (whoever created this should be fired and shot) well at least be put on the wii for how safe it was. There is only 3 boss fights in DS2 that there were actually hard as hell to solo: Looking Glass Knight, The Lost Sinner and the Smelter Demon (seriously fuck him).

My hopes for DS3 are: Interlocking zones with minimal bonfires and hards as shit bosses like DS1, but Hard as shit zones like in DS2. Meaning I want to hear the cries of 100million people and smile.
Bosses in DkS2 too easy to solo? I share your appreciation of looking glass knight. You found ancient dragon easy to solo. Or pursuer. Heck TWO pursuers. The thronw duo? Nothing in DkS1 was anywhere near as challenging as those battles.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
joest01 said:
Bosses in DkS2 too easy to solo? I share your appreciation of looking glass knight. You found ancient dragon easy to solo. Or pursuer. Heck TWO pursuers. The thronw duo? Nothing in DkS1 was anywhere near as challenging as those battles.
Ancient dragon is optional, and made hard via his massive health bar and instakill fire breath. The double pursuers are optional and only in New Game+. The Throne duo IS easy, Throne Watcher goes down like wet toilet paper, and then it's just a matter of killing Defender fast enough. The Pursuer is hard when you first meet him, but once you figure out that rolling towards his shield and strafing to the right are the key, he becomes laughably easy. Nope, Four Kings, Gwyn, Quelaag and O&S still have the edge over any of those battles.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
bartholen said:
joest01 said:
Ancient dragon is optional, and made hard via his massive health bar and instakill fire breath. The double pursuers are optional and only in New Game+. The Throne duo IS easy, Throne Watcher goes down like wet toilet paper, and then it's just a matter of killing Defender fast enough. The Pursuer is hard when you first meet him, but once you figure out that rolling towards his shield and strafing to the right are the key, he becomes laughably easy. Nope, Four Kings, Gwyn, Quelaag and O&S still have the edge over any of those battles.
interesting. 4Kings is barely a skill based battle. Gwyn can be parried pretty reliably. I never had trouble with Queelag. I do appreciate her design though :) And from a purely gameplay perspective the throne duo is pretty much an improved O&S fight.
p.s. what isn't optional in these games :)

I just thought of one more thing to bring back. The old whip!

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
joest01 said:
And from a purely gameplay perspective the throne duo is pretty much an improved O&S fight.
Can you explain this to me? I'm not trying to get into an argument, but I've seen other people say this as well, and I can't for the life of me see why. Their designs are bland (hey, another pair of dudes in armor), the arena is bland, they move slowly, attack slowly, can be blocked as opposed to Smough's charge or butt stomp and the music certainly isn't as memorable as in O&S. I can't see anything in the fight that O&S didn't already do better. They do make for a fun and challenging boss fight double bill if you don't go to them after getting the King's Ring though, since you're forced to fight Nashandra immediately after.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
bartholen said:
joest01 said:
And from a purely gameplay perspective the throne duo is pretty much an improved O&S fight.
Can you explain this to me? I'm not trying to get into an argument, but I've seen other people say this as well, and I can't for the life of me see why. Their designs are bland (hey, another pair of dudes in armor), the arena is bland, they move slowly, attack slowly, can be blocked as opposed to Smough's charge or butt stomp and the music certainly isn't as memorable as in O&S. I can't see anything in the fight that O&S didn't already do better. They do make for a fun and challenging boss fight double bill if you don't go to them after getting the King's Ring though, since you're forced to fight Nashandra immediately after.
I said gameplay, not music. The arena may be bland but it also doesnt give you places to hide. Actually I think you can even fall down if not careful. So 2:0 head start for the duo. I think what people like about O&S is how iconic they are. The duo is much subtler in their differences and less memorable. But you still have one relentless str boss, who in this case actually manages to stay on you espec if you solo them, and a more agi boss keeping distance and closing it in a heartbeat. Of course using prjectiles much less frequently then O. But overall you get two actually competent bosses (one actually not that different from the sinner you like so much) instead of a couple of iconic ones where one is obese and pretty slow. Then there is the health mechanic. O&S encouraged you to take out one fast and then gave you another big ass single boss to fight. THe duo encourages you to deal equal damage to both so when one goes down you have a chance to take the other one down fast.

O&S you could basically buff your weapon, kill O and then circle around a pillar sniping S. There are no such crutches with the duo.

And then when the fight is over :) Let's say I was also pretty surprised the first time when Nashandra showed up after the duo and of course ohk me since I didn't know her patterns. Kind of a closing bonus for the duo.

I wont argue the music or design etc. but gameplay wise I feel like it's really no competition.

p.s. all this writing about DkS2 brings back memories. And talking about multi boss battles, the DkS2 gargoyles in deeper playthroughs are an absolute joy to fight! Up there with mirror knight.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Mostly just bring back the world design and atmosphere of Dark Souls 1.

And also the bosses. None of that 20 different guys in armour crap from DS2.

And yet again from Dark Souls 1, I don't think the ability to fast travel from the start is good.